Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At what point would you decide to leave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
diver wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Oh and foreign teacher-worker = war correspondant...yep that certainly sounds accurate Laughing

It's good enough for CNN.

Sadly yes it is....

The level of commentary regarding Korea has been pathetic on both the BBC and CNN. Its basically been akin to a teenage debate class.

Which just goes to show the lack of knowledge regarding Korea in the wider world.

Just about any esl lifer who has been here longer than 10 years would have given a more informed opinion than anyone they've interviewed so far.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immediate relatives have been begging me to come home, but since I'm not working for Wonderland this year, I haven't felt ready to pull a runner yet.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family saw this and they immediately called me to make sure I understood that North Korea means business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jfaoDtXLY
asylum seeker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I'm slightly more worried this time is not because of NK's internal politics but SK's. In the past it's always been about appeasement- no matter what the North does, turn the other cheek and offer them something instead of retaliating. But it seems now the public mood has shifted a lot here after Cheonan and the attack on the islands and I think Saenuridang leadership would not want to face the humiliation of letting NK get away with another terrorist attack without any response, especially after all the tough talk they've been putting out recently. After all if Saenuridang lets the North kill a bunch more people and offers them aid in return who's going to take them seriously anymore as the party that can stand up to the North?

The question is will NK recognize the tougher stance that is developing here and hold back on a direct provocation or will they go ahead and do it anyway? It's looking at this point like they might just settle for firing another rocket into the sea and then back down.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
My immediate relatives have been begging me to come home, but since I'm not working for Wonderland this year, I haven't felt ready to pull a runner yet.

Payday is coming up. You can still do that runner.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
diver wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Oh and foreign teacher-worker = war correspondant...yep that certainly sounds accurate Laughing

It's good enough for CNN.

Sadly yes it is....

The level of commentary regarding Korea has been pathetic on both the BBC and CNN. Its basically been akin to a teenage debate class.

Which just goes to show the lack of knowledge regarding Korea in the wider world.

Just about any esl lifer who has been here longer than 10 years would have given a more informed opinion than anyone they've interviewed so far.

On CNN is has been bad. On the BBC not nearly so. On the CBC in Canada it has been pretty darn level headed.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure we'd be looking to leave if they upped my teaching load without checking with me first, or insisted that I begin my classes in the morning rather than the late afternoon.

We'd also be booking passage if the option to let subsidized housing went away. Seoul is just getting too expensive.

And beer prices. Once you break 3000 won for a Korean tap beer, you're talking about cashing in frequent flier miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: