Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Koreans Cream Hogs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike in brasil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's branch out.

Koreans (I don't care if you) are (trying to leave the) elevator hogs, (I won't speak Korean to you because I want to learn) English hogs, (you have to move out of my way on the) street (because I don't care if you're in front of me) hogs...

And the list of hogs on~

No wonder they love pork so much!
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8 year old thread?

Really?

Laughing
northway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrylos wrote:
A quick visit to the cafeteria section of any Korean Costco would be a sight to your sore eyes...The definition of civilized use of condiments... Wink

There are some things you can't unsee.
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of 2010 the liquid sugar at the local Dunkin Donuts was usually found at someone's table. Why they wouldn't put it back on the shelf is beyond me.
Khunopie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBwannabe wrote:
As of 2010 the liquid sugar at the local Dunkin Donuts was usually found at someone's table. Why they wouldn't put it back on the shelf is beyond me.
I think it goes back to the Korean war when cream and sugar were scarce. It was a dog eat dog situation and Starbucks or Dunkins was not immune to the ravages of war. So if you found cream for your coffee you hung onto it because if you didn't hog it the next table would. Korea is a very competitive culture so if you have the cream or sugar at your table, you are THE CHAMPION! Very Happy
Rutherford

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you drink coffee you have to have appropriate banchan. Starbucks should provide little bowls so cream and sugar can be mixed in the center of the table and eaten with spoons.

This was what costco did to stop ajummas from taking the onion and mustard dispensers back to their tables.
happiness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khunopie wrote:
OBwannabe wrote:
I think it goes back to the Korean war when cream and sugar were scarce. It was a dog eat dog situation and Starbucks or Dunkins was not immune to the ravages of war. So if you found cream for your coffee you hung onto it because if you didn't hog it the next table would. Korea is a very competitive culture so if you have the cream or sugar at your table, you are THE CHAMPION! Very Happy

hahahaha

its funny AND its true! lol
tgrear2008

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man up, there's no need for cream in coffee.
Landros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: reason behind it. Reply with quote

the thing is, starbucks and the whole cream at a station is designed with western sensibilities in mind. You get your coffee and you go over and add what you want to it.

in korea half the time 5 people come together from their office and the youngest junior member gets the coffee and brings it to the table. not knowing exactly how each senior wants the hot beverage he/ she is too embarrassed to ask and brings over the container to be used if desired by said superior official.

Same concept in burger joints. they have a burger and everyone gets it and shares if for some reason. no one ordering what they really like on it in case of offending someone else in the group.

Just order individually and pick what you like and get over the offending those that don't have the same taste as you. You see the pitfalls of korean culture?

choice is a naughty word.

Americano doesn't come with cream or sugar....

Capachino means with steamed milk. Iced steamed milk is ludacris.

Iced lattes I can understand but can't stand.

Just order tea.
Khunopie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this thread is getting olde. Anyone around?

Self serve cream banditos still a problem?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Seoul 2 months ago on vacation. Didn't notice any cream stealers, in fact what I remember is, I had to ask for milk and they give you a small cup of it. You also have to ask for sugar at the counter. Otherwise you're stuck using this syrup crap on the counter. I think that's how they deal with the problem now. Laughing
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Starbucks in Seoul or the other big cities for coffee. The other chains can only give you Americanos, the nastiest stuff around, in place of real brewed coffee. Starbucks gives brewed coffee with beans that come for brewing. What is it with this espresso bean steam extracted useless crap?

In China the Starbucks, where they have them, brew coffee but they often run out of the correct coffee beans, so they just use espresso beans for brewing which makes mostly a product that is a nasty Americano. Not very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: