Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining Korean Citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tob55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chopstick wrote:
tob55 wrote:
javis wrote:
alongway wrote:
Until recently even mixed kids weren't conscripted. I still don't think they are, they're only given the option of volunteering. A full blown non-ethnic korean likely wouldn't be conscripted any time soon.

Then how did that formerly Australian guy Sam Hammington end up serving in the ROK Army? Granted he is fluent in Korean, but he is actually serving; not just for the tv show "진짜 사나이".

Conscription into the military is a very real possibility for men in the age bracket. Something young men should be aware of if they intend on seeking Korean naturalization. So, it is wise to never say "never" when it comes to issues like these.

What is 'the age bracket'?

I believe the age bracket is 18 - 39 years of age. However, most Korean males should do their military service before their 24th birthday, at least that is what my adult male students at university are telling me.
Julius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

Nope, they changed the law a couple of years ago. Multiethnic kids are made to waste 21-36 months of their lives like everybody else.

Not to worry, plenty of people waste their entire lives.
tob55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Update on some changes Reply with quote

I finally got a clarification on some of the changes that will affect people applying for citizenship some time towards the end of this year.

1. Currently, there is no requirement to be an F5 holder and apply for citizenship, that is going to change
    2. When the new regulations go into effect applicants will need to be an F5 holder for at least one year before they can apply for citizenship. (This is similar to other countries which require applicants for naturalization to be permanent residents of the country for a period of time before qualifying for citizenship.)
    3. Currently, there is no need to provide your own CBC (criminal background check), that is going to change
    4. When the new regulations go into effect the Korean immigration service will stop doing this portion of the application process as a service, and it will become the responsibility of the applicants to provide the CBC. (I am guessing this will be a costs saving measure on the part of Immigration since the number of applications for citizenship has skyrocketed in the last couple of years.)
    5. Currently, the language requirements are rather lenient (at least that is the perception Immigration has at the moment), that is going to change
    6. The new regulations have stiffened the language requirements needed to qualify for citizenship. (I am not sure where this is going, but someone in high places feels the need to make it harder for applicants wishing to obtain citizenship for some reason.)

That's what I was told during a phone conversation with someone who is up on the requirements and the changes taking effect on the process for citizenship. So, if you are thinking about it, then it is never going to be any easier than it is right now to go through the process.
neotheone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on some changes Reply with quote

tob55 wrote:

[list]1. Currently, there is no requirement to be an F5 holder and apply for citizenship, that is going to change

Hi tob55, Thanks for the summary.
Do you know when the above measure is going to be implemented?
Also, you had mentioned that we need to be an F5 holder for one year. Is is the same for married to a korean-national as well as someone who wants to apply for the citizenship and not yet married to a korean?
laynamarya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to immigration, the changes to the laws that tob55 mentioned went into effect December 2nd, 2013. Thanks to this thread, I applied in November.

My question is about the interview. I've downloaded the study guide. As far as I can see, these are the five sections:

1. Be able to sing at least one verse of the national anthem, and the chorus.

2. Show a reasonable level of Korean proficiency.

3. Show knowledge of Korean government (the 4 responsibilities of a citizen, national holidays, the proper way to solve disputes with other citizens)

4. Be able to answer questions about democracy and a citizen's responsibility in a democracy.

5. Show knowledge about daily Korean life: traffic regulations, emergency numbers, recycling, etc.

I am wondering what specific questions you were asked during your interview, especially in section 4.

Thank you.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An official Naturalization link that I've found:

http://krcla.org/en/Naturalization

Two articles about the naturalization process (it may be useful to read other people's experiences):

http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2008/05/becoming-korean-citizen.html
http://chersurvivingkorea.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-road-to-korean-citizenship.html

Two news articles about the naturalization process:

http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/207852.html
http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/539121.html

Highlights from the news articles include:

Quote:
The number of citizenship applications stood at 50,000 in 2005, compared with 24,000 in 2002. But there are only 8 people in the Justice Ministry who work in the naturalization office, and only five of them are fully assigned to the job. They have to deal with around 400 applications a week while every week sees an additional 600 cases.

This means there will be a very long wait.

Quote:
Under the current Nationality Act, foreigners who have resided in Korea for over 5 years are eligible to apply for Korean nationality. In the revised Nationality Act, however, expatriates would need to stay as permanent residents for at least 3 years in order to apply for citizenship.

It will take longer to become a Korean citizen (3 years with permanent resident status instead of only 5 years of residency in South Korea).

Quote:
... said Kim Jong-min, deputy of Immigration Policy Division of Ministry of Justice. “As more foreigners acquire Korean citizenship, it might cause new problems in society.”
He explained the background of the revision, “Some of them are underprepared, lack the ability to adjust to Korea culturally and economically. We need some prevention before they cause problems.”

What problems would those pesky foreigners cause? If you get rid of them, then who else could be blamed for South Korea's problems? Very Happy
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You consider 7 year old news about a system that has vastly changed since then to be a highlight?

and why link to an old askakorean post, when he links to a new one right at the top that covers some of the new rules:
http://askakorean.blogspot.kr/2010/02/becoming-korean-citizen-update.html

and this link: http://krcla.org/en/Naturalization
is for Koreans naturalizing to the US.. do you actually read anything?

shoddy shoddy work.
rococobean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone describe in detail the type of questions they were asked during the interview process?

My Korean SO and I plan on marrying in the spring of 2015 then applying for duel citizenship thereafter. I'm just worried about the language ability portion. I am currently at an intermediate level reading/writing/listening wise but conversationally I am, like many Koreans are with English, extremely shy and get anxious with strangers. My mind often goes blank for a lot of things.

Of course I will continue my language studies and try to utilize my Korean more than I currently do, but I think having time to practice certain questions might help boost my confidence.

I really want to obtain duel citizenship as I already feel that I'm very much involved with Korea and would like to share the same nationality as the rest of my family, including any future children. Also owing to the fact that I've been very much involved in the culture for just about 10 years now it just feels right.

Thanks in advance!
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after getting married you have a residence requirement of a couple years. You won't be able to apply right away, and even then if you haven't had kids yet you will have an eve longer wait, another 3 years for processing was the last I heard from immigration. You have a long time to practice, don't get ahead of yourself.
rococobean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
don't get ahead of yourself.

Oh uh .. Thanks? ha ha. Maybe I'm just over reading the assumed hostile tone. Really sorry if I am.

I guess I'm just one of those people who thinks when it comes to preparedness there's really no such thing as "too early". Sure seemed to help greatly when I prepared years in advance for becoming an international student and later worker here in Korea, anyway.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rococobean wrote:
alongway wrote:
don't get ahead of yourself.

Oh uh .. Thanks? ha ha. Maybe I'm just over reading the assumed hostile tone. Really sorry if I am.

I guess I'm just one of those people who thinks when it comes to preparedness there's really no such thing as "too early". Sure seemed to help greatly when I prepared years in advance for becoming an international student and later worker here in Korea, anyway.

It's at least well over 3 years from now that you'll be able to apply.

Maybe longer. This is a new program that's already change in the short time that it's been set up. Using the current status of it to discuss a maybe 3 years down the road is getting well ahead of yourself.
rococobean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:

Maybe longer. This is a new program that's already change in the short time that it's been set up. Using the current status of it to discuss a maybe 3 years down the road is getting well ahead of yourself.

Yeah, guess you're right. It would still be interesting to hear peoples personal experiences anyway though.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rococobean wrote:
alongway wrote:

Yeah, guess you're right. It would still be interesting to hear peoples personal experiences anyway though.

The questions are from the interview book. They're identical. Pick one up at your local bookstore and read them over.
rococobean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
The questions are from the interview book. They're identical. Pick one up at your local bookstore and read them over.

Oki Doki, Thanks^^
TDC troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , they asked me questions from all of the catergories that are on the list , including singing the anthem .
Also they asked me personal questions , too. (a lot )

If you study from the guide and memorize it , and just be relaxed
you'll be ok .

If you can speak Korean than don't worry about it .

Not to be negative , but on the day of my interview , there were quite a few people who didn't pass .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: