Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 seminar for foreign language institute instructors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ytide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I can add to this thread:

Dave's ESL Cafe forum was mentioned specifically by the "MC" of the training (a Korean-American who spoke in a far-too-casual way for a supposedly-official event). It was something like "You don't have to go to Dave's ESL Cafe anymore! [because they were about to give legal information]"
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ytide: My guess is that there would've been a lot less heckling if (a) the event were conducted on a regular workday or (b) the people forced to attend on a day off were actually paid for it.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckling is still the recourse of a tool. It's nothing more than a "Ooh look at me, I'm so independent" .....having still dutifully come to the meeting in the first place, like all the other sheep.

Still, you guys got suckered into an obvious waste of time. Isn't it time to just let it go and live your life. Or is this your 'Nam story?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't there.

Speaking of tools, that's what the hagweon owners are who insisted on making their employees go there on a Saturday without paying them for that time.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
I wasn't there.

Speaking of tools, that's what the hagweon owners are who insisted on making their employees go there on a Saturday without paying them for that time.

My "you guys" was directed at the guys and gals that went, of course. Your second sentence is correct, for sure.
axelf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
Heckling is still the recourse of a tool. It's nothing more than a "Ooh look at me, I'm so independent" .....having still dutifully come to the meeting in the first place, like all the other sheep.

Still, you guys got suckered into an obvious waste of time. Isn't it time to just let it go and live your life. Or is this your 'Nam story?

Emotional reactions usually do serve a purpose, whether it's obvious or not. I wasn't there, so I don't know what the exact nature of the heckling was, but heckling could at least make the leaders of the event feel less inclined to do the event again next year. The hagwon association should feel ashamed, and should know that their bullsh1t will make teachers take their jobs LESS seriously.
chasmmi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this event is now rearing its ugly head in Seoul on Saturday, what was the overall verdict on the go / don't go front.

DId anybody not turn up and get repurcussions from it?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chasmmi wrote:
So this event is now rearing its ugly head in Seoul on Saturday, what was the overall verdict on the go / don't go front.

DId anybody not turn up and get repurcussions from it?

Yup... didn't go... no repercussions.

axelf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faced no repercussions and never heard about the meeting again from my director.

I hope lots of heckling occurred today at the Seoul seminar.
BackRow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered I thought the crowd was pretty good aside from the small pockets that thought they were still in high school
Savant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BackRow wrote:
All things considered I thought the crowd was pretty good aside from the small pockets that thought they were still in high school

I'm going to go ahead and guess that there were no topic presentations regarding Health Insurance, Pension or Taxes?
BackRow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
BackRow wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that there were no topic presentations regarding Health Insurance, Pension or Taxes?

Of course not, this org represents hagwon owners. Instead we were just told not to smuggle drugs or teach privates
Savant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BackRow wrote:
Savant wrote:
BackRow wrote:

Of course not, this org represents hagwon owners. Instead we were just told not to smuggle drugs or teach privates

Yeah! Another year gone past where KAFLA can pat themselves on the back for uniforming the masses.
When I attended 2 years ago my favorite presentation was the one from the Immigration guy informing us what we need to obtain an E-2 to a room full of teachers on....E2 visas. Just brilliant!

Was there anyone from Immigration present this time? Did they provide any useful information for foreign teachers, such as how to obtain a D-10 visa, and how to change from E-2 to D-10 or vice versa?
BackRow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
BackRow wrote:
Savant wrote:
BackRow wrote:

Yeah! Another year gone past where KAFLA can pat themselves on the back for uniforming the masses.
When I attended 2 years ago my favorite presentation was the one from the Immigration guy informing us what we need to obtain an E-2 to a room full of teachers on....E2 visas. Just brilliant!

Was there anyone from Immigration present this time? Did they provide any useful information for foreign teachers, such as how to obtain a D-10 visa, and how to change from E-2 to D-10 or vice versa?

It was an immi guy who talked about drugs and privates

He mentioned a d10 for "when you get fired" but he was more concerned about dtating why you should get one rather than how
Calla728

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Didn't go, no repercussions Reply with quote

I taught in Seoul for 3 years and never once did I attend this "mandatory" meeting. The first year about 1/3rd of the teachers at my school went. The rest of us showed up, realized we wouldn't be able to leave early and decided "screw it, let's just go home." My director was never informed of anyone's attendance nor was anyone fined. The next year me and my fellow senior teachers knew we weren't going to go and told all of the newbies that it wasn't mandatory and was a complete waste of time. Not a single teacher from my school went and nothing was said to any of us. Finally, this year with a new manager in place, we weren't even informed of the meeting.
Just because the Minister of Education is working with the Hagwon Association to organize and run the meeting does not make it "required by law" to attend. If it's not required that hagwons join this association than why would it be against the law for teachers to skip it? This meeting comes up every year and every year people fight saying that its against the law not to go. My experience says otherwise and so far I've only read one vague story of some director getting fined 5 years ago. If people have current stories of not attending and getting in trouble I would love to hear them. Otherwise, skip the meeting, sleep in on your day off and don't worry about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: