Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China’s government hires people to distort web discussions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
You can hate people spitting on the street or budding in line or even the weather without hating the whole country

Where can you find a better place to teach ESL? The stuff you're mentioning is worse elsewhere, at least for the most part. I have been around different places.
fezmond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lived in Korea for 11 years and then not since, do I get special dispensation to argue against anyone who has a single complaint?
maximmm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fezmond wrote:
If I lived in Korea for 11 years and then not since, do I get special dispensation to argue against anyone who has a single complaint?

Only if your current location is in Vancouver!^^
fezmond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximmm wrote:
fezmond wrote:

But don't you know, I travel to Korea once a year and speak to Koreans all the time
maximmm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fezmond wrote:
maximmm wrote:
fezmond wrote:

But don't you know, I travel to Korea once a year and speak to Koreans all the time

That was an inside joke - sorry. It was meant for one of the biggest Korean apologists on this forum.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
So China is catching on to what America has been doing for years.

Big surprise there. Rolling Eyes

Think back to the lead up to the Iraq war

posters like Gopher, Joo Rip Gwa Rhee come to mind.

Britain has her share of winners as well.

Think of the MI6 (or is it MI5?) agent who was secretly re- editing

controversial entries in Wikipedia. Whoo hooo!

Laughing You think Gopher and Joo were "plants"? Give me a break.
fezmond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximmm wrote:
fezmond wrote:
maximmm wrote:
fezmond wrote:

That was an inside joke - sorry. It was meant for one of the biggest Korean apologists on this forum.

but can't you see, it's on my location for everyone to see.... Wink

(were you talking to me or the man I think we're both talking about?)
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:
You can hate people spitting on the street or budding in line or even the weather without hating the whole country

Where can you find a better place to teach ESL? The stuff you're mentioning is worse elsewhere, at least for the most part. I have been around different places.

Are...are you being facetious? Because you just hilariously proved my point exactly.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what would the basher prime directives be?

- "Actually Being Racist" : Use terms like Chinaman or Jap. Make broad, sweeping, negative behavior judgments about Korean people. Declaring poster's opinions invalid simply because of what race they are.

- "Inadvertantly Being Racist" : Foreginer=White NETs. Yawning over discrimination faced by 3Ds, minority NETs, and anti-Gyopo/Asian hiring practices. Treatment for people from English speaking countries should superseed "those Chinese" who are actually a greater percentage of the foreigners. Same for Thais and Viets. Those countries don't matter as much and neither do their people.

- "Attributing Behavior to Koreans" : Say something is a uniquely Korean phenomenon and compare Korea to other countries. Then whine when apologists actually compare Korea to other countries and show the same thing does indeed happen. A: "Koreans do this, this would never happen in Canada." B:"But the same thing happens in Canada" A: "Why are you bringing up Canada? We're talking about Korea."

- "Collective Blame for Koreans, Individual Blame for Westerners" : Korean does something bad? A reflection on their nature and culture. Blame them all. A westerner does something bad? An exception. Korean does something good? An exception to the rule. Westerner does something good? An example of how "we" do the right thing. Related: View Western cultural achievements as some sor to of group accomplishment that the poster had a hand in, should be acknowledged for by the peasants in suits, even though it happened 300 years ago. Slavery? I didn't have anything to with that. Happened 300 years ago.

- "Seeing the Speck, Ignoring the Plank" : Accuse ajosshis/Koreans/Apologists of certain behaviors, fail to see how they themselves engage in the same things. Bash Korean men for sexist behavior and superficialty, Post on thread about 'Obese Western Women'.

- "These People Exist to Amuse Me and Cater to Me" : Views Koreans and Korean people as existing to make their life easier. Their pleasure and comfort and needs superseed those of Koreans. Koreans should adopt to their customs, not the other way around. English service and foreign goods are the most important things. ESL should be the number one issue on Korean's minds. Koreans should be aware of the issues ESLers face and devote significant time to them. Koreans should forgoe their own political concerns and focus on NETs.

- "Glass Half Empty" : Focus on the negative treatment they receive. Ignore and forget all the times they've received benefits because they are foreign.

- "The Collective" : Koreans are all some sort of Borg-like entity. They are all working together, think the same way, and follow instructions perfectly. They are all sitting around together and scheming about "How to Get the Waygookin".

- "Opinions as Facts" : State opinions about Korea as facts. Fail to back up facts and claims with evidence. Get angry about having to provide evidence to support one's claim.

===========================================
Sidebar- the "North Korea is Going to Kill us All Rules"

- "North Korea, the Crack Force. South Korea, the Inept Bumblers"

- "One Way Glass Window" : Looks out and sees NK's "arsenal", doesn't consider how SK/US's arsenal looks from NK's view.

- "MiG 21s are Just as Good as F-15s, Right?" : Limited knowledge of military systems. Assumes 1000 1950s era tanks are anything but target practice in a conventional war.

- "SWARM!" : Thinks those 1000 tanks can suddenly magically appear along the DMZ with no warning. Those 1000s of planes can all take off at once and head across the sky. Artillery can blast off their 250,000 rounds all at once.

- "Men and Tanks are Just as Fast!" : Talks about millions of soldiers and tanks storming the DMZ together in a matter of minutes. Apparently soldiers can run at 40 mph and sustaing that for an hour, all the while guns a blazing.

- "Seoul is a Prime Military Target" : That artillery? What's the best use of it? That's right- Bomarding Seoul. Chicken Hofs and Noraebangs are the backbone of the Korean military machine. Wait a minute...they actually might be on to something with that one...
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, always another side to that coin
maximmm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
And what would the basher prime directives be?

- "Actually Being Racist" : Use terms like Chinaman or Jap. Make broad, sweeping, negative behavior judgments about Korean people. Declaring poster's opinions invalid simply because of what race they are.

- "Inadvertantly Being Racist" : Foreginer=White NETs. Yawning over discrimination faced by 3Ds, minority NETs, and anti-Gyopo/Asian hiring practices. Treatment for people from English speaking countries should superseed "those Chinese" who are actually a greater percentage of the foreigners. Same for Thais and Viets. Those countries don't matter as much and neither do their people.

- "Attributing Behavior to Koreans" : Say something is a uniquely Korean phenomenon and compare Korea to other countries. Then whine when apologists actually compare Korea to other countries and show the same thing does indeed happen. A: "Koreans do this, this would never happen in Canada." B:"But the same thing happens in Canada" A: "Why are you bringing up Canada? We're talking about Korea."

- "Collective Blame for Koreans, Individual Blame for Westerners" : Korean does something bad? A reflection on their nature and culture. Blame them all. A westerner does something bad? An exception. Korean does something good? An exception to the rule. Westerner does something good? An example of how "we" do the right thing. Related: View Western cultural achievements as some sor to of group accomplishment that the poster had a hand in, should be acknowledged for by the peasants in suits, even though it happened 300 years ago. Slavery? I didn't have anything to with that. Happened 300 years ago.

- "Seeing the Speck, Ignoring the Plank" : Accuse ajosshis/Koreans/Apologists of certain behaviors, fail to see how they themselves engage in the same things. Bash Korean men for sexist behavior and superficialty, Post on thread about 'Obese Western Women'.

- "These People Exist to Amuse Me and Cater to Me" : Views Koreans and Korean people as existing to make their life easier. Their pleasure and comfort and needs superseed those of Koreans. Koreans should adopt to their customs, not the other way around. English service and foreign goods are the most important things. ESL should be the number one issue on Korean's minds. Koreans should be aware of the issues ESLers face and devote significant time to them. Koreans should forgoe their own political concerns and focus on NETs.

- "Glass Half Empty" : Focus on the negative treatment they receive. Ignore and forget all the times they've received benefits because they are foreign.

- "The Collective" : Koreans are all some sort of Borg-like entity. They are all working together, think the same way, and follow instructions perfectly. They are all sitting around together and scheming about "How to Get the Waygookin".

- "Opinions as Facts" : State opinions about Korea as facts. Fail to back up facts and claims with evidence. Get angry about having to provide evidence to support one's claim.

===========================================
Sidebar- the "North Korea is Going to Kill us All Rules"

- "North Korea, the Crack Force. South Korea, the Inept Bumblers"

- "One Way Glass Window" : Looks out and sees NK's "arsenal", doesn't consider how SK/US's arsenal looks from NK's view.

- "MiG 21s are Just as Good as F-15s, Right?" : Limited knowledge of military systems. Assumes 1000 1950s era tanks are anything but target practice in a conventional war.

- "SWARM!" : Thinks those 1000 tanks can suddenly magically appear along the DMZ with no warning. Those 1000s of planes can all take off at once and head across the sky. Artillery can blast off their 250,000 rounds all at once.

- "Men and Tanks are Just as Fast!" : Talks about millions of soldiers and tanks storming the DMZ together in a matter of minutes. Apparently soldiers can run at 40 mph and sustaing that for an hour, all the while guns a blazing.

- "Seoul is a Prime Military Target" : That artillery? What's the best use of it? That's right- Bomarding Seoul. Chicken Hofs and Noraebangs are the backbone of the Korean military machine. Wait a minute...they actually might be on to something with that one...

There are two opposing apologist camps - hence two sets of debate tactics!
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere someone is saying "They're on to me. Time to abort, I repeat ABORT the mission."
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebearofbundang wrote:
I think most people who enjoy living in Korea stay away from Dave's

You are just parroting what recruiters say.

If your life is so productive, action packed, and fulfilling, why do you spend so much time posting on Dave's? It is the apologists like yourself who post the most.

Also, I'd say there are a disproportionate number of lifers with Korean wives on Daves'. It seems like nearly everyone who posts on this site has a Korean wife. This is in no way representative of ESL teachers in Korea as a whole. Most ESL teachers are here for one year only.

Can you see how having a Korean wife would make someone want to defend Korea at every chance? (I can.)
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this thread, I have concluded that the time has come for Mr. BlackCat to go full-on babyface apologist, and SteelRails is in desperate need of a heel basher turn as it would revitalize his character, which has grown a bit stale of late. Ratings are slumping gents, get to it.

Oh and...

SteelRails wrote:
- "These People Exist to Amuse [...] Me"

Slight spin on the original quote obviously, but yes, the purpose of the Internet is precisely this.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, why'd you have to go and break kayfabe?

Anyways, I could always take a turn as The Shockmaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5oMiqJRVqs

A note for non-wrestling fans (Not that I'm a big one either)- This is not a joke. They actually thought this guy was going to be a real character and his accident was not staged.

Or I could get banned following a Booker T-esqe slip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqehiZbBgkM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: