Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GnB English. Are there any positive experiences out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philipjames

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: GnB English. Are there any positive experiences out there? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone out there has worked for GnB, and has anything positive to report. My experience at GnB (Incheon) was so bad, so shockingly bad, that it ruined my entire Korean experience. I'm bitter about that, because up until that point I had loved Korea. I had lived there for 3 years prior to GnB Incheon and had a great, positive experience. GnB (Incheon) was so bad, it's owners so corrupt and offensive, that my experience was ruined.

Are all GnB schools this bad. I'd be interested in hearing about any other experiences at this chain. Surely they can't (simply can't) be as bad as GnB Incheon.

I'm interested to know.
Sucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly GnB is a series of franchise schools. Each school is run by a director who has very little to do with head office. In this respect most GnB schools would be very different.

That said, I worked for GnB Dongduchen and they did more than jst screw me over.

After working for 10 1/2 months the work environment turned hostile. So much so that I felt that I had to resign - I gave my 3 weeks notice, giving all reasons of contractual violation (unpaid overtime, medical insurance, etc).

The very next day I was told to leave the apartment, my phone was disconected and my boss attempted to report me as a danger to immigration.

I took my case to the labor board. After the required 2 weeks, they called a metting with me. At first they would not speak to me (because after they had seen my boss, she had told them that I had hit children then dissapeared in to the night).

I was shocked - I had no idea why she was being so hostile to me. She did not just want me to quit, she wanted me out of the country. And no, I do not and did not hit anyone, let alone children.

On a second review, the labour board dissmissed my case because apparently I gave my notice, which means I was not fired (I learnt of this yesterday).

I never really thought that anyone could be really evil. Now I do.

I won't say don't work for GnB. But whatever you do, do not work for GnB Dongducheon and make sure you research your school before you arrive - make sure you talk to FORMER (not current) teachers.

Have to go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: