Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KT: Girls' Generation faces racial attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maitaidads wrote:
Yeah, but think what would happen if Nickelback won an award- at a show broadcast from Korea and mostly intended for an Asian audience- due to a write-in campaign from Canadians? There would be confusion, excitement and rage about it from the KR netizens I imagine Wink

Truth.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, don't blame the winner or the voters, blame the flawed election procedure. Could Alabama have won 2 national championships without the BCS balls-up? Laughing

Anyway, compared to what Miss America, Nina Davuluri copped after her crowning, the reactions are rather tame. Cool
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
CHING CHANG CHONG CHING CHANG CHONGCHING CHANG CHONGCHING CHANG CHONGCHING CHANG CHONGCHING CHANG CHONGCHING CHANG CHONGCHING CHANG CHONGCHING CHANG CHONG

Agreed.

Very Happy
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy got attention because he's neither Korean nor sexy. He got attention for a comical video. Japan didn't even play his video when it markets other K pop stars. Japan like Korea likes this fake manufactured music. Which means, he prob wouldn't have had the play here had he of not been Korean and had previous albums. His style was very different from your typical run of the mill generic pop stars.

So, girls generation, wonder girls, and others trying to make it in America will never make it unless they change their style. But geeze they like banging their head in the wall repeatedly doing the same thing over and over because it feels so good when they stop. What they did before failed, so logic dictates doing the same thing over and over.

I'm Canadian and if Nickleback wins, I'll write in my own death threats. They're such hosers!!
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm waiting for Lee Hyori to do a strip tease at the AMA next year and for Hyuna to wear a skimy ice cream dress. Cause Miley Cyrus looks like a dyke and her strip tease was gross. Ha ha. I love the fake tough guy hip hop look of manufactured K pop. Fail!
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy See? Threads can be fun instead of always lashing out at each other.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: KT: Girls' Generation faces racial attack Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
Quote:
Describing the moment of winning the award in a crowded auditorium in New York, CNN reported, “While massively popular in Asia, the reaction to its win from the American audience was muted — with scattered applause, but mostly a long, deafening silence.”

Many viewers of the ceremony, which was streamed live online, were upset with what they called a “rude” reaction, one of whom said “That’s the worst problem I guess for people in the United States... being ethnocentric.”

Some viewers assailed the group with racist commentaries. “The question is why is Girls’ Generation in America if they can’t speak a word of English lolllooololl,” an unidentified individual complained on Tweeter, referring to the award-winning song, whose lyrics are all in Korean save a couple of English words. Another said “CHING CHONGS INVADING MY MENTIONS SOMEONE WHY DIDN’T THEY DIE WHEN AMERICA NUKED THEM.”

A disheartened Bieber fan said, “HOW DID JUSTIN LOSE OVER SOME JAPANESE CHICK NO ONE KNOWS.” One Katy Perry fan tweeted, “My mention full with Asian ching chang chong.”

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2013/11/386_145820.html

So that's what the Korean teachers in the teachers' room were talking about the other day. They were having a lively conversation in which they mentioned the name Justin Beiber a few times.

Maybe it was revenge for Psy's racist attack on Americans. Almost stopped his American break through.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mentality of these K Pop fans desperately wanting their stars to be recognized globally is an enigma to me. When I was a teenager it was all about liking stuff other people didn't know about. Feeling that sense of exclusivity. I didn't like it when one of my bands went mainstream.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after fully exploiting the weaknesses in a system for selecting a winner, K-pop fans complain that an American audience doesn't stand up and applaud? I don't really see the point when you can win a competition because your fans stay up all night watching your video repeatedly and made sure to vote in an online poll multiple times. That video had over 76 million views the last time I checked. Hopefully, YouTube learns from its mistakes.
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maitaidads wrote:
Yeah, but think what would happen if Nickelback won an award- at a show broadcast from Korea and mostly intended for an Asian audience- due to a write-in campaign from Canadians? There would be confusion, excitement and rage about it from the KR netizens I imagine Wink

If this happened and Youtube was a Korean company, the Korean vote counters would probably just lie about the results and let Girls Generation win.
maitaidads

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
it was all about liking stuff other people didn't know about. Feeling that sense of exclusivity. I didn't like it when one of my bands went mainstream.

I have this psychic reading that you're thinking of Supergrass around 1995
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
So after fully exploiting the weaknesses in a system for selecting a winner, K-pop fans complain that an American audience doesn't stand up and applaud? I don't really see the point when you can win a competition because your fans stay up all night watching your video repeatedly and made sure to vote in an online poll multiple times. That video had over 76 million views the last time I checked. Hopefully, YouTube learns from its mistakes.

Youtube likes anything that increases traffic and ad sales.
Jodami

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girls Generation and all of the other K-pop garbage, should not be allowed to pollute the airwaves, outside of Kimchiland.

IMO, every so called K-pop artist, should be arrested for crimes against music. Twisted Evil
sendittheemail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Youtube has a music award show now? Alright...

Yes, they do, and it's sponsored by.......wait for it......Kia Motors! LOL. The youtube awards were created for artists who basically suck, but manage to somehow get a massive amount of youtube clicks.

Girls Generation is right up there with the waster-skiing squirrel, and that video of the dog with a bucket stuck on it's head. And oh yeah, "Gangnam Style".

Furthermore, why were they expecting a round of applause from an audience who largely doesn't know who they are? Why should I cheer for someone I've never heard of? Maybe it's courtesy? Maybe the Koreans just cheer for everyone at reward shows, regardless of whether they know them or not? Who knows...
sendittheemail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That video had over 76 million views the last time I checked. Hopefully, YouTube learns from its mistakes.

The 15 second video of some Brazilian girl doing a peace sign in front of a sleeping Justin Bieber has 25 million views, LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: