Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct stock investing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
last goodbye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Direct stock investing Reply with quote

Does anyone know a way to invest directly in overseas stocks, especially the NYSE.... I asked about an investing account at KEB- they said go to a broker.... but I prefer to do it myself

I'm from Canada, but can't set up an account in Canada unless I go.... and I'm not join anytime soon....
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have a bank account in Canada? Can't you just log onto Scottrade or whatever and link your online trading account to your bank account and start making trades?
last goodbye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a bank account in Canada anymore, only a KOrean one... So I am looking for something here-- also, if I do it here, I don't have to pay capital gains in Canada...
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, cap gains blow.

My friend recommended www.kiwoom.com and www.etrade.co.kr but haven't got around to setting up an accout and dunno if those sites have an English language option. I'm guessing it will allow purchasing US equities, in KRW, but not sure how it all works yet...
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it was possible for a non-American to buy stocks on the NY Stock exchange or Nasdaq.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
I didn't know it was possible for a non-American to buy stocks on the NY Stock exchange or Nasdaq.

Two of the freest and easiest exchanges to get into anywhere in the world. And they are intended that way. That's why for many of the heavier traded stocks, you can sell/buy within a few seconds (that's if your order is near the indicated price point). The volume is just massive.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Canadian, but I suggest that you have a look at Canadian Andrew Hallam's website and his book, Millionaire Teacher. He's an expat Canadian English teacher in Singapore and has really put a lot of thought into investing, particularly as a non-resident Canadian. His portfolio is worth over 2 Million dollar, apparently, or close to it.

I've read his book and monitor his website. There are many posts on his website from Candian, American, Australian and British expats teaching in Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, etc. and you stand to learn about your options if you spend some tim reading his site.

You will find that many are in your situation.
last goodbye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies....

I tried those websites... they were both in Korean...

I will try Millionaire Teacher... and also, I think there are probably discount brokers around Seoul...
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.
http://andrewhallam.com/2013/04/international-teachers-are-you-investing-enough-money/
http://andrewhallam.com/2011/12/what-international-school-teachers-should-consider/
http://andrewhallam.com/2012/05/why-international-teaching-isnt-a-lucrative-gig/
http://andrewhallam.com/2013/05/international-teaching-perils-to-beware/
Quote:
I think it should be the responsibility of the administration to show every international teacher the benefits they are relinquishing by teaching overseas–and then a sample plan of how they can make up the difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: