Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fitting analogy for ESL in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:
We also have the opinion that we will always want to have a couple of students even after so-called retirement.

You will retire in Korea? How close are you to retirement age? (You said you've been designing your own curriculum for 32 years, so I'm guessing you are up in age (maybe almost 60?).) I guess if you enjoy what you are doing- some people don't; some people are burnt out and sick of it- then I guess it makes sense to take on extra hours. For me, teaching all the time sucks and is exhausting and bad for my emotional state and mental health. Everyone's different I suppose.

Haven't decided if we will stay in Korea or not. We will probably split our retirement time between Korea and another country. Haven't decided when we will retire. However, I am retired from the school system in the US. Age 54.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
20,000 is as low as you will go? Maybe that 12,000-16,000 an hour job will lead to future opportunities. You can network while there.

Obviously you are now attempting to amuse yourself with these types of posts.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, back to work. It's Saturday and I have 4 classes to teach.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:

I'm wondering if there is an amount you would not go under. Why is 12-16 an hour laughably low (or is it not to you, depending on the job and potential to network while there?), while 20 is not? I think for an F visa holder, 20 is way too low. I'm surprised you do not. To me, time is valuable (the most precious thing in the world) which is why I do not like working for low wages. (I'd much rather work for one hour for 50,000 than two and a half hours for 50,000.)

What do you guys think of this video (221 likes; 0 dislikes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWW9bNkkvk

Agree or disagree?
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:

I'm wondering if there is an amount you would not go under. Why is 12-16 an hour laughably low (or is it not to you, depending on the job and potential to network while there?), while 20 is not? I think for an F visa holder, 20 is way too low. I'm surprised you do not. To me, time is valuable (the most precious thing in the world) which is why I do not like working for low wages. (I'd much rather work for one hour for 50,000 than two and a half hours for 50,000.)

Agree or disagree?

I don't think it's an apt comparison. He's selling something that people are going to turn around and use to try and sell a song. That's a lot different from being a native English speaker who may or may not be doing much more than just shooting the shite.

But to each his own. I've known people who were charging a lot more than 50,000 an hour and felt that they could have/should have been charging more. IMO, knowing them and what they were "teaching," they were ripping their students off big-time.

I don't understand your beef with wooden nickels.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, atwood, here are some facts. Wages are falling. Good or bad? Are you happy about this (better deal for the Koreans) or not? No way in hell is it easy to get privates for over 50k an hour (just shooting the shite or otherwise) these days. Those days are long gone. You want wages and conditions to fall further (for everyone, including the qualified, at unis and elsewhere)? Why would you want that for yourself?
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
OK, atwood, here are some facts. Wages are falling. Good or bad? Are you happy about this (better deal for the Koreans) or not? No way in hell is it easy to get privates for over 50k an hour (just shooting the shite or otherwise) these days. Those days are long gone. You want wages and conditions to fall further (for everyone, including the qualified, at unis and elsewhere)? Why would you want that for yourself?

What does wooden nickels have to do with falling wages?

Wages are falling because it's a mature market flooded with applicants and because to many or most Korean employers one native speaker is as good as another so they're not going to pay more for qualified applicants which keeps the market flooded.

There are people teaching privates for more than 50,000won an hour. There are people doing editing work for more than 50,000won an hour.

Is it easy? I don't know. Should it be or should you have to earn it?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:

Agree or disagree?

I have some time before my next class so I will pacify World Traveler.

I never said 12-16 is low and 20 is not. These wages are low if they don't lead to something else. But, they have led to something else.

Your time is precious? Like time isn't precious to others?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:

Your wages might be falling but mine aren't. Roughly 80% of my income is based on top rates, rates that I'm sure would make you dance in bliss. The other 20% falls between low and average. In answer to your question I would say that is good. Maybe it's not easy for you to get work but I'm not having a problem. None of my classes are based on shooting the *&*#@. I have lesson plans and goals for every class. I don't want my wages and conditions to fall, that's why I'm doing something that will hopefully continue to prevent the situation from happening.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
There are people teaching privates for more than 50,000won an hour. There are people doing editing work for more than 50,000won an hour.

Those situations are becoming less and less common. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Of course it's a bad thing.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:
Your wages might be falling but mine aren't.

wooden nickels wrote:
Maybe it's not easy for you to get work but I'm not having a problem.

Because you have a Korean wife and the F visa. You benefit from a protectionist policy. (That's a big part of it anyway.)

wooden nickels wrote:
Roughly 80% of my income is based on top rates, rates that I'm sure would make you dance in bliss.

Are you going to tell us what those rates are? Well, you're not- I already asked and you dodged the question, so I'll answer for you. In a previous thread you said parents pay 250k-280k a month to send their kids to a hagwon for a few hours of study per month. Yeah, I get it, you own a hagwon and I don't. You make more money than I do.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:
Your wages might be falling but mine aren't.

wooden nickels wrote:
Maybe it's not easy for you to get work but I'm not having a problem.

Because you have a Korean wife and the F visa. You benefit from a protectionist policy. (That's a big part of it anyway.)

wooden nickels wrote:
Roughly 80% of my income is based on top rates, rates that I'm sure would make you dance in bliss.

Are you going to tell us what those rates are? Well, you're not- I already asked and you dodged the question, so I'll answer for you. In a previous thread you said parents pay 250k-280k a month to send their kids to a hagwon for a few hours of study per month. Yeah, I get it, you own a hagwon and I don't. You make more money than I do.

I was probably making way more money than you even when on the same visa status.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Korea was a better market back then (ten plus years ago). Westerners were a rarity. Salaries were higher (especially when adjusting for inflation). Well, this exchange isn't particularly productive or edifying- just you insulting me (in a non-educational way which doesn't allow for me or others to learn anything new).
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Yeah. Korea was a better market back then (ten plus years ago). Westerners were a rarity. Salaries were higher (especially when adjusting for inflation). Well, this exchange isn't particularly productive or edifying- just you insulting me (in a non-educational way which doesn't allow for me or others to learn anything new).

Look back carefully at the previous posts. You thought it was cute pointing out the 12-16. Now you are trying to make it me against you and everyone else.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to learn and contribute new information/have a discussion. Interested in doing that? E-battles (lacking insight/universal relevance) are lame and boring (a waste of time). Let's not go that direction please. Let's talk about making money, the state of the market, strategies to boost one's earnings potential, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: