Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Former well known Seoul expat/teacher arrested in Cambodia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why provide the Korean media with more fodder? Ask yourself this; what has the Korean media done to portray your minority group (foreigner, teacher, ethnic minority) in a positive or even neutral light?

Quite a bit. And a lot more than the negative stories. Unfortunately, because of the negativity bias, we only remember the bad stuff. No one bothers to post stories featuring an English teacher doing something good or links to shows featuring foreigners in a positive light.

Quote:
Other foreign ethnic groups in Korea have their own ways of dealing with problems within their own groups. Do you suppose ethnic Chinese Koreans go out of their way to attract attention to the small minority among them who commit crimes? Do you suppose the Mongolians do that? Do you suppose the Bangladeshi factory workers make a habit of turning eachother in to the police or media? They work things out among themselves.

If it involves child rape, I would hope they would. I think people who care more about their media image than helping the police identify a child rapist are to say the least, not doing the right thing.

Quote:
I know that some of you lifers and apologists would happily provide a DNA sample every 6 weeks (drrrrr uhhhh so sorry, we lost-uh the old one), and a weekly drug test, and a notarized, apostilled, stamped, certified, autographed by the pope holographic background check from interpol every 6 months just to keep your 2.0mil per month kindy jobs and further brown nose your klown overlords, but why encourage these things by trying to alert the Korean media every time a foreigner breaks the law (even outside of Korea)?

I am not a parent. But I can empathize with parents enough to understand their desire to have basic minimum safeguards and not let in any Tom, Dick, or Harry. And while certain aspects of the system are labyrinthine, in the end, the amount of inconvenience is rather small. It seems the system only really sucks for Americans, who because of our bloated bureaucracy, 50 state laws, and lack of emphasis on customer service, have a government that's ponderous at this sort of thing.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archaeologist5 wrote:
Quote:
gets schooled, and then he bows out … talking about bananas and oranges. Typical.

No I wasn't 'schooled'. I just saw the futility of continuing the discussion. People who take liberties and self-appoint themselves are useless to talk to for they will force their ways upon others while claiming a 'right' yet will fight tooth and nail against anyone who has the real right and wants their ways imposed.

It is the same old boring story with such people and I really do not need to participate in such pointless discussions.

Quote:
You asked what right I have - the F5 gives me that right.

You are confused but that is to be expected.

I have no more interest in this discussion because it has gone beyond the point of rational and logical, open minded thought and into a pissing contest by someone, you, who can't stand being shown to be wrong.

Your problem, and it seems to be consistent on every board you join, is that you have difficulties conversing with others. You're perfectly content bantering back and forth with personalities of your own creation, but when it comes to people who are not you - who actually disagree with you - you give up. You give up not because not because you know you're right, but simply because you lack the ability for actual exchange.

I'll address any point you want me to on this. Be clear in them, and I'll be clear in my answers.

Are you willing to do the same?
kengreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perverts give us all a bad name. We also have Quincy Black to deal with. This stuff seems to pop up about once or twice a year.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea: You'll have to wait a while before arch can answer you as he's on suspension until February 8 (around that date). And he's likely to be banned once the site staff here figures out he's the banned already calendar.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Captain Corea: You'll have to wait a while before arch can answer you as he's on suspension until February 8 (around that date). And he's likely to be banned once the site staff here figures out he's the banned already calendar.

I have the link to Archie's arrest for assaulting a woman in either Nevada or Arizona. He's originally from Alberta, Canada, and David Thiessen is his name. NYC Gal was correct about wondering if Archaeologist had something to hide.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Winfield wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

I have the link to Archie's arrest for assaulting a woman in either Nevada or Arizona. He's originally from Alberta, Canada, and David Thiessen is his name. NYC Gal was correct about wondering if Archaeologist had something to hide.

link please.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would explain why he got so antsy about the CBC issue. lol
JFP2020

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott had a history of sexual activities with minors, including in Korea, but concerns were not acted on: http://groovekorea.com/article/former-teacher-accused-sex-cambodian-minor-was-arrested-korea-say-former-friends
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFP2020 wrote:
Scott had a history of sexual activities with minors, including in Korea, but concerns were not acted on: http://groovekorea.com/article/former-teacher-accused-sex-cambodian-minor-was-arrested-korea-say-former-friends

That's some crazy stuff if true. Surprised the Korean media hasn't jumped all over this.
knee-highs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Ralph Winfield wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

link please.

Yes, please supply the link.

But what is interesting about this, if true, is that this points out a severe hole in the entire CBC process. Whereby one could have a criminal record in a country, but if it is not your home country, the Korean immigration would have no idea. Makes you wonder how many cases there are where someone has been convicted of a crime, like a sex crime, but they have a clean arrest record in their home country so they slip through the system.

I remember reading about a guy who grew up in Australia, lived there his entire life from a few months old, but because he was born in England, the Korean immigration insisted on a CBC from England and did not want one from Australia. BTW: I am not suggesting that this Aussie was a criminal.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFP2020 wrote:

Quote:
Two former close friends of Canadian national Vadim Scott told Groove Korea that the suspect told them he had been arrested in Seoul in 2007, but was released after the parents declined to press charges. The law on sex crimes did not allow for prosecution without the complaint of the victim or their family until it was amended last year.

I'm glad this has changed.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Winfield wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

How did you arrive at his name? If I may ask?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not too hard, given how pompous he is. He provided it hiself. He constantly outs his fake supporters on various sites, including the comments section of Korea Times. The old saw about lies being hard to maintain is well-proven in his case. The amusing thing is how often he denies the personas he has talking to each other (himself) aren't really him even when he's just admitted that one person is him or he's forgotten to switch online handles and then posts along happily not realizing that he's showing the world his dishonesty--and lunacy

Here's hoping the next foreigner being arrested in South Korea is DT!
lemak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulkc wrote:
His imdb page says he lived in Seoul for ten years and he regularly appeared on local TV

"Vadim is planning to move to Los Angeles in 2013 to further pursue both acting and music."

Hmm....good luck with that one. Could always try the Pete Townshend defense and claim he was doing "research" for a movie role or something.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the teacher who was incarcerated for 8 months because he was unable to pay some fines when exiting Korea? That teacher was very good friends with Vadim. From his blog:

"I knew V for years. He brought me books in jail. He got me high in Korea, I returned the favour many times. He was/is my best friend in Asia (again, more on this later)."

"I stayed with V for about a week. He got me a job less than 2 days later. A new phone (unlocked Rogers for about $20, new sim/number, 3G, etc...) something called an Aircard which was a USB drive with a SIM card that let me use my laptop online on the bus for about $20... it was going good."

"That same week, V (remember him?) was busted for buggering boy in Cambodia. My best friend in Asian is a boy diddler. I knew he was bent towards the same sex, but little boys? I don't believe it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: