Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is being single selfish?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Painless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
For a supposedly happy person, Janny sure seems to pop up frequently on our forum trying to convince the rest of us she's happy. 41 is a bit late to change course, at least for children. I imagine the next 30 or 40 years will be filled with a lot of self-reassurance that foregoing children was a good idea.

That's an extremely rude and insensitive thing to say to anyone. What about couples that have been married 15-20 years and are unable to have children? Would you say the same thing to them? Jackass.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Painless wrote:
Fox wrote:
For a supposedly happy person, Janny sure seems to pop up frequently on our forum trying to convince the rest of us she's happy. 41 is a bit late to change course, at least for children. I imagine the next 30 or 40 years will be filled with a lot of self-reassurance that foregoing children was a good idea.

That's an extremely rude and insensitive thing to say to anyone. What about couples that have been married 15-20 years and are unable to have children? Would you say the same thing to them? Jackass.

If that couple made a specific bad choice that resulted in infertility, then decided to repeatedly post the details of their personal situation on a forum I frequented while trying to construe their bad choice as a good one and their unhappy situation as a happy one, yes, I might. That's an awful lot of qualification to make your bad analogy into a fit one, though, and given most infertile couples are unlikely to spend their time trying to convince me that their circumstances are happy ones, they're more likely to get my compassion.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman: Stay single as long as YOU want to. End of story.

A lot of these married people will lecture you on the "best" way to do things, but there is no guarantee they are any happier than you are. Often they are miserable.

I think sometimes there's a bit of regret, jealousy, and bitterness going on too:
They've made a commitment and are now tied down for the rest of their lives, while you are still free of any shackles. Of course they don't like to see that, and will criticize it by calling you selfish or immature.

As far as having kids, we really don't need many more so don't feel guilty about that part of it. Plenty of people in the world (no shortage), and lots of crap parents pumping out crap kids. They may not have wanted kids at all, but got pressured into it or just did it because "that's what everyone does".

Also, you are a man. No rush at all. In some ways men get more attractive with age so you'll be able to find a mate at almost any age.... the same can NOT be said of women, and they can get pretty bitter about that. Seeing an independent man who doesn't need a woman is just disturbing for them, and they'll call it "selfish" or "Peter Pan syndrome". But you can bet if most women could stay single and attractive past 30's and 40's they'd all be high-fiving each other about it and not calling it "selfish", because that label is usually reserved for men.
catman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I am sincere, but it's not Janny who I hope might benefit from my (admittedly harsh) words. Catman made a crack about my stance on feminism, but his masculinity does not exempt him from going down a path he'll later regret. He's still quite a bit younger than her and male, so he still has a reasonable amount of time to change course. He should worry less about whether he's being selfish, and more about if he's really going to be content with the enduring conclusions of his lifestyle as he gets older and older. I get the feeling that he posted this thread looking for some affirmation, but it would be irresponsible to give it to him if we actually wish him the best (and I for one do); he needs careful thought, not reassuring pats on the back. If Janny doesn't want to be used as an example in such an exercise, then she can stop posting her personal details on the board again and again.

Sure I may regret the choices I have made regarding marriage and having children. I am just glad that those choices are my own and I don't have to worry about any outside coercion like those in other societies do.
catman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:

A lot of these married people will lecture you on the "best" way to do things, but there is no guarantee they are any happier than you are. Often they are miserable.

I think that is the case with many married people who lash out at singles. However, I have to be careful not to stereotype them like the stereotype us. Some people just really don't understand the desire to remain single. It is almost as if it is "unnatural".
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:

Sure I may regret the choices I have made regarding marriage and having children. I am just glad that those choices are my own and I don't have to worry about any outside coercion like those in other societies do.

Well, as long as you keep that in mind, that's my concern within the context of this thread. I know we disagree on matters at times, but I don't bear you any ill will at all on account of it. I suspect your sister's harsh words were also ultimately motivated by concern for you, but that's just a guess as I don't know the woman.

I agree that it being your own choice is ultimately for the best.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is being single selfish? Reply with quote

catman wrote:
I just got told off by my sister for being single. Well to be more precise she called me selfish because I said that I have no plans on getting married and having kids. In case you are wondering she is married with a couple of kids herself. I think she sees me with having few responsibilities and greater freedom than she has and doesn't believe it to be fair.

I guess it can be considered selfish if you believe our sole purpose in life is to reproduce. However, I am just happier being single and am not looking for a long term relationship. Of course there are times when it would be nice to come home to someone but those thoughts are few and far between.

It was never an issue until I reached 30. Then the questions started coming from certain family members. The funny thing is my parents don't care at all!

I feel bad for women though. They must have twice as much pressure as we men do.

Don't let you sister or anyone else put pressure on you to get married. It's not as big a deal as some make it out to be. There are many advantages to staying single. Remember, when you've reached the end of your life, it's important to have as few regrets as possible. I've held hands with a few people in their final days, and one thing I can tell you - we all have regrets. Some more than others. Marriage and kids shouldn't be one of them. Rejoice your situation, having freedom to do whatever you want without thinking about your family or the responsibility of children is rare.
metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Korean girls are the hottest!"

"I've been in Korea for 10 years but being single is for me!"

Losers or liars, or both, probably all three.
metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails has the best girlfriend though, no one here can deny that because it's a factual fact.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Old Painless wrote:
Fox wrote:

If that couple made a specific bad choice that resulted in infertility, then decided to repeatedly post the details of their personal situation on a forum I frequented while trying to construe their bad choice as a good one and their unhappy situation as a happy one, yes, I might. That's an awful lot of qualification to make your bad analogy into a fit one, though, and given most infertile couples are unlikely to spend their time trying to convince me that their circumstances are happy ones, they're more likely to get my compassion .

Your goal when starting in with Janny was to tell a complete stranger who says/believes they are happy that 'Meh!, I don't believe you are happy." LOL. Yea, heart the size of your chest.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:

Your goal when starting in with Janny ...

... was to push her to stop painting an overly rosy picture and admit to this truth: "Sure, I feel I might be lonelier when I get older," and I succeeded in that. People who have made bad life choices going around trying to convince others that those life choices were actually good ones are not doing anyone else any favors. Most humans rely upon mutual self-correction to live well, and this leads to real problems when people who have made poor decisions themselves give bad-faith advice for the sake of soothing their own pain.

I get the feeling that there's a certain amount of "White Knight Syndrome" involved in the push back I'm getting from a few people here, and that's understandable enough. It's a reasonably healthy habit, and I don't blame anyone for it. It doesn't contribute much to the topic at hand, though. One might agree or disagree with my analysis of Janny's (frequent) personal accounts here, but at least such an analysis is topical. "Fox is sometimes impolite," while true, is both irrelevant and surely something most people here already realized.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
If one is going to forego a relationship and reproduction, one had best be certain one will not regret it later, because it's one of those opportunities which really can pass one by.

Oh, my.

This is hardly intended as the kind of "gotcha" moment it surely will end up looking like from your end, but I know you are a bit of a wordsmith, so...

Dictionary.com Definition of Forgo

Comparison of Forgo and Forego

Second Comparison of Forgo and Forego

Multiple links posted for redundancy. I was flubbing on this word for a while myself.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

I think that is the case with many married people who lash out at singles. However, I have to be careful not to stereotype them like the stereotype us. Some people just really don't understand the desire to remain single. It is almost as if it is "unnatural".

For an independent person, it's as natural as can be.

Of course, some try to change the word "independent" to "selfish". Ignore these people.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Fox wrote:
If one is going to forego a relationship and reproduction, one had best be certain one will not regret it later, because it's one of those opportunities which really can pass one by.

Oh, my.

This is hardly intended as the kind of "gotcha" moment it surely will end up looking like from your end, but I know you are a bit of a wordsmith, so...

Dictionary.com Definition of Forgo

Comparison of Forgo and Forego

Second Comparison of Forgo and Forego

Multiple links posted for redundancy. I was flubbing on this word for a while myself.

100% appreciated. It's an error I regularly make, and I need to be more careful with it. Thanks.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People always think the magic number to be married and have kids is 30. The age when people leave their "youth" and are forced to be adults. My parents got on my case at 28 when I was still single. Being single isn't selfish in the least and being married creates a lot of work. I'm newly married and things I took for granted when I was single are now being noticed. Now my parents and my wife's relatives are already starting with the, "When are you having kids?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: