Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New noise laws in Korea - from today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
This law will be enforced just like the no motorcycles on sidewalks law of four years ago. In other words, not at all.

That law immediately came to mind when I read the thread title. Wasn't there supposed to be another 'crackdown' on that within the last few months? How did that and is this law in general working out? Are you guys noticing any significant difference?
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
Smithington wrote:
This law will be enforced just like the no motorcycles on sidewalks law of four years ago. In other words, not at all.

That law immediately came to mind when I read the thread title. Wasn't there supposed to be another 'crackdown' on that within the last few months? How did that and is this law in general working out? Are you guys noticing any significant difference?

When I did my bike test last year, i noticed that the part where they teach you to ride on the pavement had been taken out, and replaced by a part where they teach you to 'lean over the handle bars' so it makes it look like you're going faster than you really are.

Apart from that, not at all.
Mix1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:

I generally find Koreans quiet,

And where do you find these Koreans? I'd like to find some myself.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Smithington wrote:

When I did my bike test last year, i noticed that the part where they teach you to ride on the pavement had been taken out, and replaced by a part where they teach you to 'lean over the handle bars' so it makes it look like you're going faster than you really are.

Apart from that, not at all.

LOL. Nothing on the carrying your huge metal delivery box with one hand out to the side as ramming tool?
Mix1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Smithington wrote:
Making noise is at the very core of Korean culture. They do NOTHING quietly. Ever, at any time. Anywhere. If they are forced to be quiet the entire peninsula will implode in on itself. Noise is what they do, and what they are. Germany has Beethoven, Austria has Mozart. Korea has those guys banging pots and pans. Koreans don't walk, they stomp. They don't close doors or cupboards, they slam them. They don't talk, they yell.

If noise is removed from this country, what would be left of the culture could fit into a matchbox.

Thank goodness I can go back home to people quietly conversing at bars and restaurants, classical music everywhere, a complete absence of twenty-something drunkenly yelling, quiet car stereos, discussions on Proust over a game of backgammon, an absence of house parties, gunshots, noisy pool parties and bbqs, and calm dining experiences at fast food restaurants.

You can find noisy situations ANYWHERE. That doesn't mean some cultures are not simply louder than others.

And of course, there are differences in degree and frequency. The SAME-SAME argument fails almost every time:

"Uh.. all people everywhere are the same. They all eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom. SAME-SAME. I heard some noise in Spain and I heard some noise in Korea. Both places SAME." ... fail.

I'd put money on Korea being one of the loudest cultures in terms of noise degree and frequency (and actual sonic frequency!). From an early age they start screaming as loud and shrill as possible and parents allow it. Noise barely bothers them and they are very tolerant of it. The language itself is boisterous and loud and loudness (not logic) wins arguments and shows power. Then there's the hacking, stomping, yell-talking, and loud TV's and music blaring in most shops/restaurants. (And don't try to blame the crappy acoustics in the buildings either, that's not the whole story.)

For those that enjoy their quiet, Korea presents some problems. For a lesson in noise contrasts, visit Japan. The people simply aren't as loud. I remember walking down an insanely busy street in Tokyo/Harajuku shopping area, and thinking "Where's the noise? No scream talking?" Almost eerily quiet.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Smithington wrote:
Making noise is at the very core of Korean culture. They do NOTHING quietly. Ever, at any time. Anywhere. If they are forced to be quiet the entire peninsula will implode in on itself. Noise is what they do, and what they are. Germany has Beethoven, Austria has Mozart. Korea has those guys banging pots and pans. Koreans don't walk, they stomp. They don't close doors or cupboards, they slam them. They don't talk, they yell.

If noise is removed from this country, what would be left of the culture could fit into a matchbox.

Thank goodness I can go back home to people quietly conversing at bars and restaurants, classical music everywhere, a complete absence of twenty-something drunkenly yelling, quiet car stereos, discussions on Proust over a game of backgammon, an absence of house parties, gunshots, noisy pool parties and bbqs, and calm dining experiences at fast food restaurants.

You can find noisy situations ANYWHERE. That doesn't mean some cultures are not simply louder than others.

And of course, there are differences in degree and frequency. The SAME-SAME argument fails almost every time:

"Uh.. all people everywhere are the same. They all eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom. SAME-SAME. I heard some noise in Spain and I heard some noise in Korea. Both places SAME." ... fail.

I'd put money on Korea being one of the loudest cultures in terms of noise degree and frequency (and actual sonic frequency!). From an early age they start screaming as loud and shrill as possible and parents allow it. Noise barely bothers them and they are very tolerant of it. The language itself is boisterous and loud and loudness (not logic) wins arguments and shows power. Then there's the hacking, stomping, yell-talking, and loud TV's and music blaring in most shops/restaurants. (And don't try to blame the crappy acoustics in the buildings either, that's not the whole story.)

For those that enjoy their quiet, Korea presents some problems. For a lesson in noise contrasts, visit Japan. The people simply aren't as loud. I remember walking down an insanely busy street in Tokyo/Harajuku shopping area, and thinking "Where's the noise? No scream talking?" Almost eerily quiet.

Of course there are noisy situations anywhere. Like all threads discussing living in a place on a forum that focuses on that place, they would not be complete without comparing them to 'back home' and diverting the attention there.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the BONGO trucks? Very Happy
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also move into a better apartment with thicker flooring and ceilings that is located away from business areas to reduce the noise you hear at home. That's always an option. If that's not possible, living on the top floor helps.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
And the thing is, there's a police station nearby. They must have heard the yelling at some point, or received a phone complaint, but did nothing.

Why didn't you call the police? Or ask them to quiet down? Rolling Eyes
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
You could also move into a better apartment with thicker flooring and ceilings that is located away from business areas to reduce the noise you hear at home. That's always an option. If that's not possible, living on the top floor helps.

Right, you could do that if you had the funds to choose your own place. Is that what you did?
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:

I generally find Koreans quiet

Your post mystified me until I noticed your location.

Irish and Koreans both tend to shout instead of talk. as if they're performing on stage the whole time.
isitts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: New noise laws in Korea - from today Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
I saw on the news last night. from today there are new anti-noise laws that have been introduced.

I couldn't fully understand what they were saying, but they cover noisy neighbours. Not sure the level of noise, or how it'll be enforced though......

I've noticed the cell phone shops aren't playing their music nearly as loud as before...which sucks because I just got my Shazam app.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:

Right, you could do that if you had the funds to choose your own place. Is that what you did?

Yes.
alongway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
Smithington wrote:
And the thing is, there's a police station nearby. They must have heard the yelling at some point, or received a phone complaint, but did nothing.

Why didn't you call the police? Or ask them to quiet down? Rolling Eyes

Because if he did that, and they came and told them to quiet down he wouldn't have anything to piss and moan about this morning.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general rule of thumb- When you live in "free" housing, you probably aren't going to get top quality and you probably are going to have to deal with issues. That's not fair to you and people should follow the law, but reality dictates something else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: