Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Salary would be too low to make you go back home?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even at 1.500.000, 1.350.000 after deductions, most of these dudes will still be clinging to their rinky dink jobs. That still leaves them with 650.000 for themselves and 700.000 to spend on their girlfriend.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:
Even at 1.500.000, 1.350.000 after deductions, most of these dudes will still be clinging to their rinky dink jobs. That still leaves them with 650.000 for themselves and 700.000 to spend on their girlfriend.

I highly doubt that.

If salaries dip below 2.0 for newbies I would imagine that many would think twice about coming, or at least enough of them would reconsider for a difference to be made.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People often say you can save half a typical hagwan salary here so even if starting salary dropped to 1.5 you'd be able to save around 500 dollars a month. Throw in free flight, accommodation and no outlays on things like CELTAs and I think it would still attract some FOB graduates. I worked in TEFL for a number of years in several countries without saving anything.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
People often say you can save half a typical hagwan salary here so even if starting salary dropped to 1.5 you'd be able to save around 500 dollars a month.

You could make close to the same in Thailand, as long as nothing goes wrong. You wouldn't get free airfare and medical insurance. Still who's going to agree to that kind of money while putting up with working at a Hagwon? I don't think I would. Laughing

Last edited by young_clinton on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Speck7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:

LOL so true, too many beta soft wussies don't know their worth and sold out to the hagwon monkey trainers.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPIC/Dodge Hey I didn't know that was you! Hey welcome back!
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by fustiancorduroy on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
I would leave if I make anything less than what I make now, and if can't make at least 30 percent more than my current earnings within the next two years, I am going to have to consider seriously getting a job in a different feild and/or going back to school. That, or opening a business.

You've outdone my expectations! Congrats.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
I would leave if I make anything less than what I make now, and if can't make at least 30 percent more than my current earnings within the next two years, I am going to have to consider seriously getting a job in a different feild and/or going back to school. That, or opening a business.

You've outdone my expectations! Congrats.

Thanks. I always try to push the envelope when doing a task so utterly important as posting on Dave's.
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything under 7 million a month. I know, there are a lot of people on this board pulling in a heck of a lot more than that, but we've slowed down in order to enjoy our time more and that's about a good enough income to rely on for us at this point.
radcon

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Anything under 7 million a month. I know, there are a lot of people on this board pulling in a heck of a lot more than that.

No there aren't.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of Dave's posters are making truckloads of money according to this poll:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=232317
Not sure if some people (or how many) are not answering truthfully on this; it's a possibility anyways. You'd have to be a sick person to lie on the internet, but then again, there are a lot of freaks in Korea. Not sure how many/what percentage. Also, I'm not sure how many are pulling a heck of a lot over 7 million a month. I wish I knew the answer to that.
guavashake

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
You'd have to be a sick person to lie on the internet, but then again, there are a lot of freaks in Korea. Not sure how many/what percentage.

You say there are a lot, then you say you are not sure how many.
You seem confused. Maybe you should make another poll.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'd have to be a sick person to lie on the internet

Um no, you'd have to be a sick person to lie to your wife or other loved ones. Lying on the Internet is in the same ball park as telling fibs to a taxi driver or some drunk guy accosting you at the bar you're never going to see again. Totally non consequential.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't lie to taxi drivers or other strangers and think it is messed up to do so. Lying in an internet poll is stupid. What would gain from that (skewing the statistics)? It's like stupid vandalism. I like to learn new things. I like stats. When people mess with that they are being pathetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: