Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rice cookers - what's the craic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few Irish friends of mine have told me they use theres for making mashed potatoes which got me thinking about doing that too.

I think we weren't too far from figuring that out, but its a bit like stone age man getting stuck using stone axes for a million years... he he

Thanks for the heads up!

DBB - are you on commission? Laughing
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

DBB - are you on commission? Laughing

No man, I just love Japanese products over crappy Korean made products. What's the old saying? Buy once, cry once? Very Happy
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Carolla wrote:
Good God...you all will owe me forever for this information.

The "rice cooker" in actuality is an "electric pressure cooker."

What's the significance of this?

Well, there are a million recipes on the internet for electric pressure cookers. And many, many of them are amazing. The rice cooker, aka the electric pressure cooker are basically really, really, fast crockpots. They make everything a crockpot can make in a fraction of the time. Take a look at what's out there and then when you try out those recipes, feel free to send a few shekels my way.

What this guy is saying. There are a bunch of rice cooker recipes out there for things like cakes or casseroles. I think there's even some kind of bastardized pizza out there.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Adam Carolla wrote:
Good God...you all will owe me forever for this information.

The "rice cooker" in actuality is an "electric pressure cooker."

What's the significance of this?

Well, there are a million recipes on the internet for electric pressure cookers. And many, many of them are amazing. The rice cooker, aka the electric pressure cooker are basically really, really, fast crockpots. They make everything a crockpot can make in a fraction of the time. Take a look at what's out there and then when you try out those recipes, feel free to send a few shekels my way.

What this guy is saying. There are a bunch of rice cooker recipes out there for things like cakes or casseroles. I think there's even some kind of bastardized pizza out there.

Now that is something I would like to see Laughing
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Bastardized pizza in Korea? Never!

Joking aside, I just googled a recipe and it looks like something I might try someday when I am feeling ambitious.

Rice Cooker Pizza

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rice-Cooker-Pizza/
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, you from Norn Iron?
Vianca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

============

Last edited by Vianca on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
OP, you from Norn Iron?

No, the edge of the roman empire - on the civilised side of the wall.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vianca- A Korean woman in Seoul wrote:
I find my Cuchen Korean product very good one.
No need to buy a Japanese product.

Of course you don't, you're blinded by your nationalist ideals. The facts are indisputable. Japan makes better rice cookers, just like they make better cars, build better roads and bridges and buildings, etc. etc. Just look at your architecture. Your buildings collapse, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoong_Department_Store_collapse) your boats sink. Korea is just not up to par with the superior Japanese.

The ONLY thing you do better than the Japanese is sing a song.

Twisted Evil
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:

Of course you don't, you're blinded by your nationalist ideals. The facts are indisputable. Japan makes better rice cookers, just like they make better cars, build better roads and bridges and buildings, etc. etc. Just look at your architecture. Your buildings collapse, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoong_Department_Store_collapse) your boats sink. Korea is just not up to par with the superior Japanese.

Twisted Evil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4480031.stm
http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/106564.php
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2006/01/07/national/condo-scandal-shakes-engineering-industry/#.U0-QNfmSySo

Although, Japanese building codes are probably the strictest in the world. With the number of earthquakes they have, they got a lot of experience building quality buildings.

Having a choice between a building built by a small sized contractor, I'd definitely go with a Japanese contractor if given a choice.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jvalmer, won't you let me troll in good fun - in peace? Very Happy
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to cook something other than rice in the rice cooker, check out the different models. Some of them are better suited to cooking specific things (in addition to rice). I don't know the details on what most of the differences are. I know that some can function as a pressure cooker (the normal ones only steam the rice), some can slow cook food, some use induction heating, and of course the shapes and sizes vary. I've seen people cook all sorts of stuff in them - veggies, soup, porridge, and even bread and cake. Other than for cooking rice, you need to check out the features of each model to see what it's suitable for.

They are very convenient though. I think that they are also designed to be more efficient with electricity than cooking on an electric stove. They also save you time because you don't have to watch them the way you would if you were steaming rice on the stove.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:

Twisted Evil

Bah, the Japanese don't make better fried chicken, cheap booze, cheap smokes, cheap meat, and I'm going to throw this out there- better baseball stadiums.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:

Twisted Evil

Bah, the Japanese don't make better fried chicken, cheap booze, cheap smokes, cheap meat, and I'm going to throw this out there- better baseball stadiums.

I'd take Mild Sevens over anything Korea produces (or I would, if I still smoked).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: