Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Let Kids Get Away with Publicly Insulting You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
wanderkind wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:
썅년아?

What's the last bit?
Wouldn't 왜 반말해? suffice with kids?

You shouldn't use cuss words with kids. (i'm sorry if anyone misunderstood what I said)

But 썅년아 is basically the equivalent of "wh.ore of a bitch." You can use this to a woman or a man, but it is like the most insulting thing you can say. haha. guaranteed to make their eyes big and possibly cause a heart attack. haha.

But Korean adults (who meet each other for the first time) who use banmal to each other end up getting mad at each other and starting fights. Its really insulting. As a foreigner, if an adult speaks banmal to you, you should stand up for yourself and blame them for making you angry (first) when they spoke banmal to you first.

The moment you use banmal with someone, should be a very special moment when you become friends and close with each other. But to use it when you first meet is very very insulting. Unless you are a 70 year old grandpa... then it is okay to use it with you.

Ok chief, if youre going to go ahead and try to teach cuss words at least get it right on the meaning. First off its "쌍년아" and its in no way or form the "worst" thing you can say to someone.

For anyone curious of what it actually means.

"쌍" is a person of low status, slave, ill bred, etc. "년" is the negative connotation for a female. so calling someone this would be like saying "youre a low class tramp." Also resorting to vulgarity just because they didnt show you the respect you think you deserved shows your maturity level. "Hey this guy didnt use formal talk with me so I need to cuss at him and make him know I am a tough guy with my words."

Guys we got a bad ass here.
Rutherford

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said "와! 한국인입나다!" back to a little boy walking with his mom and grandma. His mouth dropped open and both ladies started laughing.

Another fun one is when they say "Waygookin!" act suddenly concerned and ask them "Where? What's he doing? Are you sure?" in Korean.

I also return the favor and call out Korean tourists when I'm abroad. Gotta make your own fun in this life.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Kissing your shoe and yelling "hangookin" is so beta. A real man makes them choke themselves with your hand, beats them with pugil sticks, and forces them to eat jelly donuts while the rest of the class does calisthenics. Man up Dodge7 and Stain!

PS- And I'm told I have issues...

I did that too. I read it all in a book called The Full Metal Jacket Guide to Discipline in The Classroom.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:
wanderkind wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:
썅년아?

What's the last bit?
Wouldn't 왜 반말해? suffice with kids?

You shouldn't use cuss words with kids. (i'm sorry if anyone misunderstood what I said)

But 썅년아 is basically the equivalent of "wh.ore of a bitch." You can use this to a woman or a man, but it is like the most insulting thing you can say. haha. guaranteed to make their eyes big and possibly cause a heart attack. haha.

But Korean adults (who meet each other for the first time) who use banmal to each other end up getting mad at each other and starting fights. Its really insulting. As a foreigner, if an adult speaks banmal to you, you should stand up for yourself and blame them for making you angry (first) when they spoke banmal to you first.

The moment you use banmal with someone, should be a very special moment when you become friends and close with each other. But to use it when you first meet is very very insulting. Unless you are a 70 year old grandpa... then it is okay to use it with you.

Ok chief, if youre going to go ahead and try to teach cuss words at least get it right on the meaning. First off its "쌍년아" and its in no way or form the "worst" thing you can say to someone.

For anyone curious of what it actually means.

"쌍" is a person of low status, slave, ill bred, etc. "년" is the negative connotation for a female. so calling someone this would be like saying "youre a low class tramp." Also resorting to vulgarity just because they didnt show you the respect you think you deserved shows your maturity level. "Hey this guy didnt use formal talk with me so I need to cuss at him and make him know I am a tough guy with my words."

Guys we got a bad ass here.

Wat the.

It used to be 상년. 상 is low class, not 쌍.

it morphed from 상년 to 쌍년 to NOW 썅년

Obviously as kyopos, we shouldnt use 썅년. But for a foreigner, it does get across some shock value that may be appropriate. Why should a native Korean be that offended if they PREsUMED the foreigner wouldnt get offended with banmal?

If they presumed banmal isnt offensive, then being called 썅년 by a foreigner is also excuseable since they whouldnt br expected to know how bad it is, after all, thats why they used banmal right? Because they wouldnt know?

Anyways, something like that needs to go viral. It bothers me to this day when i see some people sneaking in banmal because they figured the foreigner doesnt know.

As far as name calling ... instead of talking bad about their parents... What other insults are worse? The brevity of 썅년 matches very well with the situation imo
jammo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rutherford wrote:
I said "와! 한국인입나다!" back to a little boy walking with his mom and grandma. His mouth dropped open and both ladies started laughing.

Another fun one is when they say "Waygookin!" act suddenly concerned and ask them "Where? What's he doing? Are you sure?" in Korean.

I also return the favor and call out Korean tourists when I'm abroad. Gotta make your own fun in this life.

"wow! I'm Korean" is what you said
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to derail this thread... Very Happy

What was the best drill sergeant-esqe punishment you've ever given out to your students? My first year I did some variations on the "Pvt. Pyle and the Jelly Donut" punish the group routine. The lower grades were remarkably well behaved after that. It was a nice feeling to have the Korean teachers point to me as example of how to keep a class in-line to the fresh outta eduuni teachers.
Speck7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jammo wrote:
Rutherford wrote:

"wow! I'm Korean" is what you said

LOL
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Allow me to derail this thread... Very Happy

What was the best drill sergeant-esqe punishment you've ever given out to your students? My first year I did some variations on the "Pvt. Pyle and the Jelly Donut" punish the group routine. The lower grades were remarkably well behaved after that. It was a nice feeling to have the Korean teachers point to me as example of how to keep a class in-line to the fresh outta eduuni teachers.

There are derails, and there are derails, young Jedi warrior. Wink

I once tried to make students in one public school class write "I will do my homework for English class" 50 times as punishment for the entire class not doing their homework. Sadly, they complained to the co-teacher, who requested that I rescind from making them do this.

The jelly donut routine, I must have done that before, as it has very clear merits. But I can't recall anything in particular.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Kick em in the gut and throw em off the roof! Show em' who's boss!! Fight the power, man!!

Seriously dude, thick skin and the ability to have smart @$$ replies (quick wit) would go a lot further to shutting them down more quickly. Even kids can tell if you're cool or a poindexter. If you are a poindexter, you can at elast trick them into thinking your cool, then they'll leave you alone and sometimes obey. Sometimes.
joelove

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will sound tiresome. I never could live up to this ideal. I wish I could.

The kids are trained to see things a certain way. The center of the world. Not only is their little self and their little training the center, but so is their little country, and so it is for adults too.

So it is for you and me, most of us. I'm afraid we're all stuck on this little stuff. Being somebody, being something in particular, a nationality, and basically a racist I suppose, or not, who knows, but certainly a nationalistic entity. One who is deeply convinced by centuries of programming. Into being a particular something or a conditioned psychology. This sounds nuts, eh. Not like fighting over it and killing for it and so on is sane.

I guess we're stuck.

Don't blame the kids, in other words. Don't blame yourselves either, you don't really own your thinking. It was given to you. Yeah, hippie crap, right? None of us are influenced by many others.

This is the same old argument over and over on this site and all the others and throughout life really. You think you own your consciousness and that we are all separate and so on. You didn't make up the stuff you are talking about. There is nothing original in you. Give it up. You're as thoroughly conditioned by your experience as I am. It's not yours.
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Korean teenager in the park/sidewalk etc was rude to me in Korea 10 years ago I would have scolded them in some way (although I would not consider being called a waygook to be rude behaviour).

These days however one may want to think twice and to simply ignore. There has been a major shift in the attitudes of Korean teenagers in very recent years. DO NOT COUNT ON A KOREAN TEENAGER TO FOLD.

In the summer of 2011 my tiny KOREAN girlfriend returned home on a Sunday afternoon after a jog. She was jogging through a park and witnessed a much bigger middle school girl physically intimidating a much younger elementary boy and eating his candy. She never gave intervening a second thought and she expected the girl to immediately fold and to be ashamed. I won't type away all the details but it was a very scary experience for her.

My girlfriend's (well...now ex girlfriend's) story is a time where one may want to intervene if they consider being a good citizen worth the risk. But intervene at your own discretion and at your own risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: