Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling all athletes and runners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Calling all athletes and runners Reply with quote

Just a question to some of you out there who run either professionally or as an amateur. What brand of shoes do you wear, and why does that work for you.

Today I was at the sports place. My MIL said she would buy me some shoes for my birthday. I have been wearing nothing but Adidas for the better part of 5 years and have become very accustomed to them. I am satisfied but willing to try something different.

I found some Asics that I liked and tried them on. The feeling was odd. The employee said that Adidas make you lean forward due to extra padding in the heel and Asics are flat on the ground. It sounds plausible. I ended up getting that pair plus an extra pair of Adidas that are special marathon shoes. A little less padding but super super light for those long distances. the 2 shoes together weigh maybe 200 grams.

I guess I sort of fell into Adidas, as I got my first pair some years ago and got accustomed to them. Once I had a salesman size my feet and all that jazz and highly recommended I dump Adidas as my preferred brand since my feet are wide, apparently. I have had good success with Adidas so I want to stick with them.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trail running for a bit, and I have the Salomon XA Pro 3D Trail Running Shoe - arguably the best shoe for trail running on the market. For street running I just use Nike running shoes. I usually get the lightest ones I can find.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Been trail running for a bit, and I have the Salomon XA Pro 3D Trail Running Shoe - arguably the best shoe for trail running on the market. For street running I just use Nike running shoes. I usually get the lightest ones I can find.

I'm in the same boat. I use a pair of Salomans for trail running and use the Adidas boost for street running. The Salomans are the first pair of running shoes that I can remember not being Adidas.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the Nike Frees for street/track running
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought of Nike as basketball shoes. I did not even look when I was buying shoes.

I asked 2 of the best runners I know what they wear. One wears Adidas and one wears K Swiss.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huge fan of asics, loved the gt 2000's for running, when they replaced them with a more expensive model, i bought a bunch of them at a discount.

there is a store in seoul that does cater to foreigners behind city hall and the guy speaks decent english, think the guys name is milos, check on the seoul flyers facebook page for info
Redcap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the market for shoes, you should base your decision on what is going to be the best shoe for YOU, rather than the best shoe for others.

You'll be doing your feet a big favour if you go to a competent shoe fitter, and get your feet and running style properly analyzed. A good fitter will determine the shape of your foot, figure out whether you have high arches or not, check to see if you are a pronator, and decide whether you are a heel striker/ mid-foot striker or forefoot striker. Based on this and additional information, ( ie. the type of terrain you will be running on), the fitter can make some shoe recommendations that are appropriate for your feet and running style.

Good luck in your search.
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a heel striker for sure and I likely pronate. I just go with what has worked for me in the past.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redcap wrote:
If you're in the market for shoes, you should base your decision on what is going to be the best shoe for YOU, rather than the best shoe for others.

You'll be doing your feet a big favour if you go to a competent shoe fitter, and get your feet and running style properly analyzed. A good fitter will determine the shape of your foot, figure out whether you have high arches or not, check to see if you are a pronator, and decide whether you are a heel striker/ mid-foot striker or forefoot striker. Based on this and additional information, ( ie. the type of terrain you will be running on), the fitter can make some shoe recommendations that are appropriate for your feet and running style.

Good luck in your search.

Do they even have the machines used to check and determine over-pronators and fitters that know what they're doing in Korea? Just wondering, never saw one at any shoe store.
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy running shirtless so why not take the "next step" and run shoeless?

http://www.olympic.org/videos/abebe-bikila-barefoot-to-olympic-gold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: