Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expat Hell on lockdown?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rofpo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMeerkatLover wrote:

...the identities of those of us who use the site are secure...

Internet anonymity is an illusion.

Hope the blog is back up soon. Nobody pegs and explains Klown logic better.
brento1138

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Disturbing Reply with quote

Well, this Expat Hell seems to have sure ruffled some feathers. I got a disturbing 'death threat' message from the user "jmkor322_19," probably in reply to my message concerning how I liked Expat Hell. I was going to post it here, but it's so graphic in such gruesome detail that I think posting it here might get this post deleted, so I won't. But basically this message that was sent to me is the same kind of message that you see on the news after a mentally unstable individual goes into a school and shoots it up. I'm not personally worried for myself, however, I am worried about the mentally stable individual hurting others around him/her. So I've taken the necessary actions when someone is criminally threatened. The site admin knows about it and the police will look into it... apparently.

But I wonder what type of person cares so much about the Expat Hell blog being so 'horrible' that they would go this far to send me a really detailed message about how they would like to kill me? In my ten years on this ESL forum, I've never read anything from a real person directed to me in such gruesome detail. Again, I am not worried for myself, just worried that this person is a danger to whomever or wherever they are currently living...

But according to the laws of where I live, this is considered a 'criminal threat' and is being treated as so.

Last edited by brento1138 on Mon May 12, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
optik404

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Disturbing Reply with quote

brento1138 wrote:
Well, this Expat Hell seems to have sure ruffled some feathers. I got a disturbing 'death threat' message from the user "jmkor322_19," probably in reply to my message concerning how I liked Expat Hell. I was going to post it here, but it's so graphic in such gruesome detail that I think posting it here might get this post deleted, so I won't. But basically this message that was sent to me is the same kind of message that you see on the news after a mentally unstable individual goes into a school and shoots it up. I'm not personally worried for myself, however, I am worried about the mentally stable individual hurting others around him/her. So I've taken the necessary actions when someone is criminally threatened. The site admin knows about it and the police will look into it... apparently.

But I wonder what type of person cares so much about the Expat Hell blog being so 'horrible' that they would go this far to send me a really detailed message about how they would like to kill me? In my ten years on this ESL forum, I've never read anything from a real person directed to me in such gruesome detail. Again, I am not worried for myself, just worried that this person is a danger to whomever or wherever they are currently living...

But according to the laws of where I live, this is considered a 'criminal threat' and is being treated as so.

It's a bot, I've gotten one from that user as well.
brento1138

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Disturbing Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:

It's a bot, I've gotten one from that user as well.

By a "bot" do you mean it's a robot? Interesting. Feel free to send me a PM of the exact threat, and I'll see if they match up. It could be that this mentally disturbed person is upset at foreign teachers in Korea and is planning something? I'd be careful to just write it off as a 'bot.'

edit: OK, I just googled the exact message and it does appear to be a bot... on several forums... interesting.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
That's a shame. I appreciated its world-weary, alcohol tinged, vibe. It was well-written. Something noirish about it.

Aren't you just the fascinating little bundle of contradictions. If he posted any of his material on this site (any of it) you'd be all over him. In your parlance he's a 'hater'. For every paragraph he'd write you'd write fifty showing that Korea isn't like that at all. The reason the site was great is because he had great insights into Korea and articulated them skillfuly. He was also no fan of yours. More importantly, unlike your endless dribble his contributions were not only readable, but worthy of being read.

We need Jake to come back and you to go away.
TheMeerkatLover

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
That's a shame. I appreciated its world-weary, alcohol tinged, vibe. It was well-written. Something noirish about it.

Aren't you just the fascinating little bundle of contradictions. If he posted any of his material on this site (any of it) you'd be all over him. In your parlance he's a 'hater'. For every paragraph he'd write you'd write fifty showing that Korea isn't like that at all. The reason the site was great is because he had great insights into Korea and articulated them skillfuly. He was also no fan of yours. More importantly, unlike your endless dribble his contributions were not only readable, but worthy of being read.

+1

Steelrails has demonstrated to be one of the most vocal apologists on this site. His writing more or less speaks to his character and type of person who are not welcome to join ExpatHell. There are also others on this site who have joined ExpatHell and tried to have it shut down by making official complaints. Ironically, they had used false information to gain access. Some of the emails I read awhile after the fact were pretty surprising. It feels like there is a hidden war between those who are desperate to have Klownland acknowledge their contribution and those who write less than pleasant things because that's what they have experienced.
anamika

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brento1138 wrote:
You have to also be on the same page as him when it comes to having a sense of humour - something quite easy for us longer term (and former) expats.

I suspect you weren't intending to do this, but you've just issued a rather damning indictment of the possible psychological pitfalls of becoming a "longer term expat". But then again, I wouldn't really be able to understand much about this, because my join date is 2009. I will please understand your unique culture.

That said, I'm glad to see that your threat was just from a bot, because getting a message like that sounds really unnerving.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMeerkatLover wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

+1

Steelrails has demonstrated to be one of the most vocal apologists on this site. His writing more or less speaks to his character and type of person who are not welcome to join ExpatHell. There are also others on this site who have joined ExpatHell and tried to have it shut down by making official complaints. Ironically, they had used false information to gain access. Some of the emails I read awhile after the fact were pretty surprising. It feels like there is a hidden war between those who are desperate to have Klownland acknowledge their contribution and those who write less than pleasant things because that's what they have experienced.

I'm able to enjoy his stuff because unlike you I don't always enjoy an echo chamber.

One can enjoy a person's writing style and where they are coming from without having to agree with everything they say. I wouldn't read his blog for accurate reporting anymore than I'd take my clues on foreign policy from a Michael Moore movie. That being said, his blog (and Michael Moore) were great entertainment. They presented a point of view in an engaging and entertaining way. They tried to capture a vibe. I didn't go to his sight expecting informed discussion and balanced insight. I went for his well-written take on life here.

It's like a standup comic. You can laugh and cheer at some things a comic says even if you don't agree with them 100% politically. They still raise some points and have some good observations. I take Chris Rock seriously at a House Subcommittee meeting on appropriations, and may disagree with a bunch of things he proposes, but I'd gladly go see his set and laugh along with what he has to say.

I think a form like Dave's or that other site isn't the place to post in the style some of the stuff people say and if they say it, people should call them out on it. However, a blog is a completely different ball game. It's about listening to someone's point of view, not an open marketplace of ideas.

And as I've repeatedly said, anyone who think that the guy solely bashes on Korea is deeply mistaken. There is twinge of despair and vague self-loathing (yet satisfaction and pride as brento sorta put it) that makes it clear that possibly the only person worse than the people who make up the madhouse is the one who chooses to live and work with them. All the haters the guy gets have no appreciation for writing and tone. Makes about as much sense as calling "MASH" a series that glorifies war.
postfundie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steelrails wrote:

well said!! it's all about having permission to rant about this place.. apologists and racists don't give you any permission to complain..well once and awhile..if they've explained that the US is just as bad.
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

I wonder why the site is down. Strange development. I hope it's up again soon.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

postfundie wrote:
Quote:
Steelrails wrote:

well said!! it's all about having permission to rant about this place.. apologists and racists don't give you any permission to complain..well once and awhile..if they've explained that the US is just as bad.

No, but if you complain about this place in a bigoted or inaccurate fashion, they will point things out. What do you expect when someone calls Koreans a bunch of peasants in suits who all think exactly alike? Do you want an echo chamber or a discussion? Remember, the apologists aren't the ones firing the opening shots. The worst thing though is when people who complain about Koreans do the exact same things they are complaining about back to Koreans.

"I hate Koreans who generalize" "So Koreans are all..."

"Korea is such crap compared to back home" "Well back home..." "WHAT? Why are you bringing up back home? Stop trying to excuse things"

"Koreans are a bunch of drunken perverts who beat their wives." "How dare the Korean media call us a bunch of drunken perverts who start fights".

What made expathell great was that there was so much more to the guy's beefs with Korea. It was noirish trek through Korea.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You heard it here, folks. Want to rant about Korea? Learn to write and start a blog! Then Steely Dan will let you get away with anything.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
You heard it here, folks. Want to rant about Korea? Learn to write and start a blog! Then Steely Dan will let you get away with anything.

Not to mention every other post I've read there seems to mention alcohol consumption in some form or another. That always makes things better.

For example, that klown site that's being talked would talk about a Nork attack and how the land of idiots was finally blowing itself up and delighting in seeing people getting slaughtered because it "proves" what idiots Koreans are.

expathell would write about power going out, having to crap into a bucket, subsisting on shrimp chips, breaking into the local CU for survival booze, and watching the country burn around him from his balcony, having one last 'before I die' shag with some random middle-aged lady while waiting for the artillery round to land on him that finally finishes it. "I can't believe it. These idiots really DID end up killing me."
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two are very different writers and personalities, that's for sure.
BackRow

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, there's people who don't think 99% of what's on expathell is made up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: