Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iphone 3gs not working with prepaid sim card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetrevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Iphone 3gs not working with prepaid sim card Reply with quote

I'm at a loss of where to post this, but I'm hoping someone on these forums have some experience with an Iphone 3gs. I bought an Iphone 3gs in America and brought it over here to Korea. Here, I realized the phone wasn't even unlocked so I went ahead and jailbroke it and installed Ultrasn0w which is supposed to automatically unlock it. The install was a success and when I looked under carrier, SK Telecom 14 shows up when originally only AT&T would show up. So I thought I could use the cellphone finally but apparentlyin the upper left hand corner I get a "no service" message and when I go under the carriers menu, there is nothing there. I tried turning off 3g and tried downgrading the IOS but nothing is working and I'm at a loss here. Isn't the Iphone 3gs supposed to be compatible with South Korea's frequency?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Iphone 3gs not working with prepaid sim card Reply with quote

sweetrevenge wrote:
I'm at a loss of where to post this, but I'm hoping someone on these forums have some experience with an Iphone 3gs. I bought an Iphone 3gs in America and brought it over here to Korea. Here, I realized the phone wasn't even unlocked so I went ahead and jailbroke it and installed Ultrasn0w which is supposed to automatically unlock it. The install was a success and when I looked under carrier, SK Telecom 14 shows up when originally only AT&T would show up. So I thought I could use the cellphone finally but apparently in the upper left hand corner I get a "no service" message and when I go under the carriers menu, there is nothing there. I tried turning off 3g and tried downgrading the IOS but nothing is working and I'm at a loss here. Isn't the Iphone 3gs supposed to be compatible with South Korea's frequency?

I could be wrong but you probably need to take it to a phone shop and get it "activated" for the company you want to utilize (SK). Just sticking in a prepaid sim won't work (or so I have been told).

You probably need to take it to an actual SK store and not just a franchise shop. Having someone who speaks Korea will probably be a bonus when you do.

sweetrevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could be wrong but you probably need to take it to a phone shop and get it "activated" for the company you want to utilize (SK). Just sticking in a prepaid sim won't work (or so I have been told).

You probably need to take it to an actual SK store and not just a franchise shop. Having someone who speaks Korea will probably be a bonus when you do.

Does this process take 20 minutes and does it involve the clerk using a fax? When I bought this prepaid sim card my phone wasn't yet unlocked so I just asked the clerk for a prepaid sim card and it took him 20 minutes, but he finally got me the card with a phone number. I was under the impression that when I unlocked my phone I could just slip in the sim card and I'd finally be able to use my phone, but it keeps saying "no service" in the upper left corner
cadurling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are using a 4-5 year old phone, worth approx $50 today. You will be much happier with an upgrade, speed wise and camera wise, everything wise. Get a Korean phone, other phones from other countries have problems, even korean phones unlocked have problems.
john110375

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation a while back. And I didn't have time to get to the SK shop so they told me. First put in the SIM card power off and on three times. On the third power up it will be registered on their system. It did work for me. So try that. If it's truly unlocked it should work Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: