Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wifi help (possible monetary reward)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
is so delicious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Wifi help (possible monetary reward) Reply with quote

Maybe a dumb question, but do nicer/more expensive laptops work better at locating/using wifi signals?

For the past few months I've been using my neighbor's signal (with her permission, for the record) with my macbook. It's weird... the signal sometimes won't show up for several minutes when I start my computer in my apartment, but then when it comes, it works great. Lightning fast, I can stream live sports, etc. Also, sometimes it won't show up in my apartment, but I'll go down outside her door, the signal will show up, then go back up to my apartment and it'll work fine.

Anyway laptop broke. Got a cheaper HP laptop. The signal is nowhere to be found. Not in my apartment, not outside her door.

I don't get it. The signal is strong enough to reach my macbook, but not this laptop?? Even when I'm like ten feet from her wifi box??

I haven't used Windows in a while, but I notice that there are a few new networks that show up when I go near her door... just not the one I can use (of course). One of them just says "other network", says the signal is excellent, but of course it says I can't connect when I try to.

This doesn't add up. Why would it work on one laptop, totally fast and perfect, then not enough show up on another?

Lastly, if someone comes over and makes this work for me, no matter how easy or fast it is, I'll pay 50,000.
sml7285

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wifi help (possible monetary reward) Reply with quote

is so delicious wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but do nicer/more expensive laptops work better at locating/using wifi signals?

For the past few months I've been using my neighbor's signal (with her permission, for the record) with my macbook. It's weird... the signal sometimes won't show up for several minutes when I start my computer in my apartment, but then when it comes, it works great. Lightning fast, I can stream live sports, etc. Also, sometimes it won't show up in my apartment, but I'll go down outside her door, the signal will show up, then go back up to my apartment and it'll work fine.

Anyway laptop broke. Got a cheaper HP laptop. The signal is nowhere to be found. Not in my apartment, not outside her door.

I don't get it. The signal is strong enough to reach my macbook, but not this laptop?? Even when I'm like ten feet from her wifi box??

I haven't used Windows in a while, but I notice that there are a few new networks that show up when I go near her door... just not the one I can use (of course). One of them just says "other network", says the signal is excellent, but of course it says I can't connect when I try to.

This doesn't add up. Why would it work on one laptop, totally fast and perfect, then not enough show up on another?

Lastly, if someone comes over and makes this work for me, no matter how easy or fast it is, I'll pay 50,000.

Different laptops have different wi-fi radios and the higher end laptops tend to have better quality radios.

There are different frequencies and channels of wifi, but all else equal, better quality chips will have further range than cheaper ones.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I came here my US iPhone was super buggy connecting to Korean wifi, got a KR iPhone (which should be the same right?) and it worked perfectly. My business friends who visit seem to have trouble getting their devices to connect to KR wifi too. Anyhow I'm not "a techy" so could be entirely wrong about everything...
maximmm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct - different laptops, different quality of wifi receivers.
If you are desperate, I suggest buying a quality usb wireless adapter - they are not that expensive.

Here is just one example - http://www.amazon.com/Bolse%C2%AE-Designed-300Mbps-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B00HZYXHJU/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402221349&sr=1-8&keywords=usb+receiver+wireless

PS. I'm not saying that this adapter has a high range, you'll have to research which one is best on your own.
maximmm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/ALFA-Network-AWUS036H-Wireless-802-11g/dp/B000WXSO76
http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Network-Adapter-RTL8187L/dp/B008B6TFUG

Here are a few that have high range.
tatertot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what you describe, it is likely that her wifi network isn't supported by your computer. Unless the replacement HP laptop is really old, I would venture that she's using 5GHz 802.11n and your computer doesn't support that. If your HP laptop is really old, it might not even support 2.4GHz 802.11n. Any recently purchased computer should support 2.4GHz 802.11n, and most would support 5GHz 802.11n, too.
maximmm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read the initial post. If it doesn't even pick it up 10 feet or closer (like - right next to it) then obviously range is not an issue and compatibility is the culprit. Once again, a compatible usb wireless adapter should be able to solve this issue.
is so delicious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, guys. Not that I understood most of it... ha ha.

Anyway... yeah. Sucks. Never occurred to me that a new, less expensive computer wouldn't pick up the wifi signal that worked absolutely flawlessly on my phone and former computer and that I pay my neighbor 5,000 a day for.

Anyway gonna copy down some of this jargon and see if the guy will help me.

Oh, and:

http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/sys/4511300040.html

Last question... if I buy a new Macbook, can I expect it will find this signal (my last computer was a 2009 Macbook).
maximmm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ever pay 5K won a day for a wifi signal?!

You do realize that it's possible to get a much faster landline for a lot cheaper, right? You can even set up your own wifi.
sml7285

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximmm wrote:

You do realize that it's possible to get a much faster landline for a lot cheaper, right? You can even set up your own wifi.

Probably meant 5k a month.... because seriously... 5k a day is insane.
is so delicious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
maximmm wrote:

Probably meant 5k a month.... because seriously... 5k a day is insane.

Ha... yes, I meant 5K a MONTH.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy her a new router, one that works with your new computer. should fix the issue.

Edit - forgot to add, did you check and make sure that the router is making an exception for your new laptop? She may be blocking all new connections inadvertently. This can be checked by going to the router setup page, or, if she doesnt actually have any settings/passwords to speak up, try resetting the router (not just rebooting it, actually resetting it to factory default) - this can often be done (depending on model) with a pin (there will be a small button/hole in the back/bottom somewhere)
tatertot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also want to check that it isn't just a hidden SSID. You can try to connect to a hidden/other network and type in the SSID manually. After you do that, your computer should remember it and connect automatically.
cadurling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also specify in your router settings to accept different frequencies, if that's the prob. If it's set to just an N signal and your lappy doesn't support it you won't be able to connect.

Also it could be you have an f'ed wifi card, easiest way to test is get a wifi dongle and see if you can connect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: