Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teen Discos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Teen Discos? Reply with quote

I am visiting Korea with my teenage niece, and she wants to go and dance to some K-pop. Are there any nightclubs or discos that cater to teenagers and do not serve alcohol? We would accompany her, of course, but we still want an environment that is safe. Thanks!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but asking a bunch of TEACHERS where they might find the teenage disco is sort of asking us to walk through a minefield.

I can see no good coming from this thread. Sorry if you have a genuine query but that question is really loaded.
BradC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, please! I'm asking people who live in Korea and who probably know Korean teens about where teens can go to dance. It's hardly the equivalent of hanging around a playground... .
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Korean teens go anywhere to dance. They're too busy studying.
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
I don't think Korean teens go anywhere to dance. They're too busy studying.

id agree with that.

I think youre mixing asian and American culture up OP?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradC wrote:
Oh, please! I'm asking people who live in Korea and who probably know Korean teens about where teens can go to dance. It's hardly the equivalent of hanging around a playground... .

Well, there's been some media stuff about English Teachers being perverts and Koreans do watch these boards. Also, Dave's is overwhelmingly male. Suddenly having 20 responses about teen clubs would be a huge red flag. Even if someone knew where through innocuous and innocent means it'd be kinda chancey to post it on here. That's if such a thing even exists, kinda doubting it- I think most just go out and underage drink or party at a noraebang- Korea ain't the strictest on IDs.

Example of innocent conversation rapidly going downhill-

"So what do you do after studying?"
"I go to a teen club"
"Oh really?, where is this teen club?"
"Ewww Teacher Byuntae! (pervert)"
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Teenage" is vague.

My 16-year-old niece visited me here a few years ago. The best fun she had here was when I introduced her to some of my more outgoing students (girls her age) who showed her around their favorite haunts (shopping, snacking, noraebang, boardgame cafe, etc).

She also got a kick out of drinking cocktails in bars! Along with me & some legal-aged students I knew, nice kids, innocent good times. She never got asked for ID.

Re: dancing. If you can connect her with a girls middle or high school (depending on her age), they all have afterschool clubs (dong-ari) at school with one or two of them devoted to Kpop dance, typically on friday afternoons. I know my girls would be excited to include a foreign guest.

Also, a lot of communities have youth activity centers aimed at teens, with emphasis on music & dance & casual sports.
BradC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Schwa! That is very helpful.
optik404

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Hongdae this afternoon and I'll ask some people where I can see teenagers bumping and grinding and report back.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
"Teenage" is vague.

My 16-year-old niece visited me here a few years ago. The best fun she had here was when I introduced her to some of my more outgoing students (girls her age) who showed her around their favorite haunts (shopping, snacking, noraebang, boardgame cafe, etc).

She also got a kick out of drinking cocktails in bars! Along with me & some legal-aged students I knew, nice kids, innocent good times. She never got asked for ID.

Re: dancing. If you can connect her with a girls middle or high school (depending on her age), they all have afterschool clubs (dong-ari) at school with one or two of them devoted to Kpop dance, typically on friday afternoons. I know my girls would be excited to include a foreign guest.

Also, a lot of communities have youth activity centers aimed at teens, with emphasis on music & dance & casual sports.

This all works if you're on the ground yourself, but this dude is coming on vacation as well, so unless 한국말 많아요, I don't see this working.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to point out that positive possibilities exist, contrary to the tone this thread was taking. BradC expressed thanks. He's been here before, maybe knows some people here or maybe isnt shy about meeting teachers & making arrangements with them. Fact is, most schools in Korea would be very happy to have a visiting foreign teen come & interact with their students. Its beneficial all round.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
I just wanted to point out that positive possibilities exist, contrary to the tone this thread was taking. BradC expressed thanks. He's been here before, maybe knows some people here or maybe isnt shy about meeting teachers & making arrangements with them. Fact is, most schools in Korea would be very happy to have a visiting foreign teen come & interact with their students. Its beneficial all round.

He has?
BradC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I lived here for a year.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taught in a public school in Korea before BradC?

If you have, just contact one of your old ct's and visit your old school and drag her along. Then maybe she can meet some kids her age.
yodanole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember seeing one recently, but I don't get out much either. Ask around if anyone knows about the existance of a "Colateque". Their function is exactly as you described.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: