Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual Citizen; Chances of finding job with Korean passport?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejkjob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Dual Citizen; Chances of finding job with Korean passport? Reply with quote

Hello Dave's ESLrs!

I'm a 25-year old with zero experience in the teaching field (I was a Business Economics major back in my university days, but I'm reaching for new experiences while I'm still somewhat young-ish) who's been trying her darndest to find a job teaching English in South Korea.
The only bump in the road has been trying to find a way to obtain a visa that'll enable me to work in Korea; I hold a dual citizenship for both the U.S. and South Korea, and I was previously unaware of the new law requiring all Korean-American females to renounce one of the two by the age of 22. Clearly I missed my chance to do so.

The only option now is to apply for a Korean passport. Since I have zero experience, I'm willing to invest the dough to get my hands on a legit TEFL certificate (120-hour? CELTA?), obviously for a leg up, but I'm wondering what my chances are in actually landing a job with a Korean passport.

Aren't hagwons/public schools usually looking for a foreigner/gyopo with an F-4 or E-2 visa (sponsorship)? I want to explore and teach in Korea for a year or two before going back to school for my masters, but I'm concerned that I'll be investing the nearly $1,000 (for the TEFL certificate) and ALOT of time in a lost cause if hagwons/public schools don't usually hire those with Korean passports.

Thanks y'all! Very Happy
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Korean passport you will be just like every other Korean co-teacher in every hagwon in Korea.

Walk in with resume in hand and you will eventually find work.

The bad news is that you are just like every other Korean co-teacher in every hagwon in Korea and will be treated as one.

You won't get the other "benefits" that E2 teachers get (airfare, housing, etc) but you won't be tied to your employer either.

You are free to seek out or take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself (just like every other Korean).

Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Citizen; Chances of finding job with Korean passpor Reply with quote

ejkjob wrote:
Hello Dave's ESLrs!

I'm a 25-year old with zero experience in the teaching field (I was a Business Economics major back in my university days, but I'm reaching for new experiences while I'm still somewhat young-ish) who's been trying her darndest to find a job teaching English in South Korea.
The only bump in the road has been trying to find a way to obtain a visa that'll enable me to work in Korea; I hold a dual citizenship for both the U.S. and South Korea, and I was previously unaware of the new law requiring all Korean-American females to renounce one of the two by the age of 22. Clearly I missed my chance to do so.

The only option now is to apply for a Korean passport. Since I have zero experience, I'm willing to invest the dough to get my hands on a legit TEFL certificate (120-hour? CELTA?), obviously for a leg up, but I'm wondering what my chances are in actually landing a job with a Korean passport.

Aren't hagwons/public schools usually looking for a foreigner/gyopo with an F-4 or E-2 visa (sponsorship)? I want to explore and teach in Korea for a year or two before going back to school for my masters, but I'm concerned that I'll be investing the nearly $1,000 (for the TEFL certificate) and ALOT of time in a lost cause if hagwons/public schools don't usually hire those with Korean passports.

Thanks y'all! Very Happy

If you're gonna just teach for a year or two, forget the certificate, you won't really need it. You'll find jobs as a female gyopo (that's what you are, right?) more easily than male gyopos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: