Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should You Teach English After College Or University?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinjaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Should You Teach English After College Or University? Reply with quote

Here's a video I made discussing the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3qbu9g8mw

Do you think it's a good thing to do straight out of college?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you from Canada?
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to do straight out of college than after five years in the work force.
NinjaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
Are you from Canada?

Close. South Africa Wink
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Should You Teach English After College Or University? Reply with quote

NinjaTeacher wrote:

I think if you start as an Assistant English Teacher (like G/EPIK or JET) it's not not a bad way to go (straight out of college). I don't think I would have passed my TEFL course if I hadn't taught first (ironically).

It would seem logical to get trained as a teacher first, but even training courses screen for applicants who seem predisposed to teaching. And where does that predisposition come from if if they haven't been trained? Or for that matter, who trained the trainer?

By the way, what does college have to do with anything? Wink
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaTeacher wrote:
andrewchon wrote:
Are you from Canada?

Close. South Africa Wink

Is that a province in Canada?
NinjaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Should You Teach English After College Or University? Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
NinjaTeacher wrote:

I think if you start as an Assistant English Teacher (like G/EPIK or JET) it's not not a bad way to go (straight out of college). I don't think I would have passed my TEFL course if I hadn't taught first (ironically).

It would seem logical to get trained as a teacher first, but even training courses screen for applicants who seem predisposed to teaching. And where does that predisposition come from if if they haven't been trained? Or for that matter, who trained the trainer?

A personally think teaching in Korea is the place you least need actual teaching certifications and experience, as you're just an you're just teaching English conversation.

And I made the video for those currently studying who are considering teaching.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends, it is not for everyone, travelling, teaching or both.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Should You Teach English After College Or University? Reply with quote

NinjaTeacher wrote:
as you're just an you're just teaching English conversation.

?
NinjaTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should You Teach English After College Or University? Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
NinjaTeacher wrote:
as you're just an you're just teaching English conversation.

?

Typo. I'm sure you can work it out.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Should You Teach English After College Or University? Reply with quote

NinjaTeacher wrote:

Fair enough. I'd misinterpreted the question. I thought you meant straight out of college vs. get credentials first.

In context of the video, yeah, I'd agree with you on your points. For me, I did those things in Japan (paid off loans, took time to decide what I wanted to do/wanted to take a break between college and work).

Though...I might be careful about suggesting it's a good idea to teach English overseas while you're "deciding what to do with your life". That decision will often never be made out here. (Though...I know there are plenty exceptions.)

I had already decided what I wanted to do before teaching overseas, but even that two year interim was enough to get me offtrack for ever doing anything back home. ...Well, slight exaggeration. Nothing back home was as interesting.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should You Teach English After College Or University? Reply with quote

NinjaTeacher wrote:
isitts wrote:
NinjaTeacher wrote:

A personally think teaching in Korea is the place you least need actual teaching certifications and experience, as you're just an you're just teaching English conversation.

Well, it may have been that way years ago over here. But many of the more lucritive jobs are requiring anything from full fledged TESOL certitificates to Master's degrees. ONly some lower paying hakwons will allow for not having those things. A 4 year degree by itself is quickly going the way of the dodo bird. (Though having expereince and an undergrad is still allowable.)

By TESOL, I mean a full 120 hour minimum and done in a classroom setting. Damn the expense!! Ha ha. (Just glad I got in here while the getting was good.)
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the person and depends on the individual circumstances. Some people are more naturally inclined to thrive in a foreign environment than others.

The ones who have a problem usually have some romantized version of being an 'expat', but inevitably can't cope with the culture shock.

Then there are those who simply don't have an employable major, or need to make it through a lull in the employment situation before a job may materialize. Then there are those who, as the OP mentions, may want to sock away some coin before starting grad school while getting some international experience.

No matter the reason, the important thing to consider, and to consider quickly given the rate that time flies by, is whether or not ESL teaching is something you'd like to do long term. And be honest with yourself. If it's not, don't fall into the easy money trap only to let the years speed by. That's a recipe for bitterness down the road.

If you do come over right after graduation and you decide a long term ESL teaching career isn't for you, set a get out of town date and start making arrangements for a transition 'back home' WELL IN ADVANCE. Don't just wing it or that 10 or 20K you banked in the year or two in Korea will gone before you know it. Stick to your plan within reason.

If you do decide you want to teach ESL for a career, start updating your credentials immediately, including the related MA and additional certs (CELTA, DELTA). Unless you want to get stuck teaching kindy or roll the dice with the public school or hakwon systems, you're going to need to get uber competitive as quickly as possible. And, hey, even if you don't necessarily do your ESL career here in Korea, at least you'll be more qualified when you push off to other pastures.

If you decide you like teaching in Korea, but perhaps at the university level, and definitely not ESL, then start thinking about getting your doctorate. Knock it out and don't drag your feet.

Having been here over 20 years now, I have friends who have deployed pretty much all of the above options, and all are doing quite well in their own self intended way. And that's the key; they planned and they didn't sit on their hands. They set goals, stuck to them, and saw them through.

Korea, like anywhere else, is largely what you make of it. Attitude makes a big difference.
Maserial

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Depends on the person and depends on the individual circumstances. Some people are more naturally inclined to thrive in a foreign environment than others.

The ones who have a problem usually have some romantized version of being an 'expat', but inevitably can't cope with the culture shock.

Then there are those who simply don't have an employable major, or need to make it through a lull in the employment situation before a job may materialize. Then there are those who, as the OP mentions, may want to sock away some coin before starting grad school while getting some international experience.

No matter the reason, the important thing to consider, and to consider quickly given the rate that time flies by, is whether or not ESL teaching is something you'd like to do long term. And be honest with yourself. If it's not, don't fall into the easy money trap only to let the years speed by. That's a recipe for bitterness down the road.

If you do come over right after graduation and you decide a long term ESL teaching career isn't for you, set a get out of town date and start making arrangements for a transition 'back home' WELL IN ADVANCE. Don't just wing it or that 10 or 20K you banked in the year or two in Korea will gone before you know it. Stick to your plan within reason.

If you do decide you want to teach ESL for a career, start updating your credentials immediately, including the related MA and additional certs (CELTA, DELTA). Unless you want to get stuck teaching kindy or roll the dice with the public school or hakwon systems, you're going to need to get uber competitive as quickly as possible. And, hey, even if you don't necessarily do your ESL career here in Korea, at least you'll be more qualified when you push off to other pastures.

If you decide you like teaching in Korea, but perhaps at the university level, and definitely not ESL, then start thinking about getting your doctorate. Knock it out and don't drag your feet.

Having been here over 20 years now, I have friends who have deployed pretty much all of the above options, and all are doing quite well in their own self intended way. And that's the key; they planned and they didn't sit on their hands. They set goals, stuck to them, and saw them through.

Korea, like anywhere else, is largely what you make of it. Attitude makes a big difference.

Very well stated, in my opinion. I'd just like to add that for recent (or upcoming) graduates with student debt, a concerted effort should be made -barring individual circumstances, of course- to pay off said debt sooner than later, as the interest paid can really add up.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAJOR consideration and great suggestion. You don't have to deny yourself any fun while here, but it's better to pay off debt and have set-in-stone savings goals, too. Get in the habit of automatically socking away a chunk of your paycheck from the get-go to boot.

Always amazed when I see newbies chowing down on overpriced pretty food in the Twon and blowing 200 grand on a night out. Yes, after unintentionally overhearing your enlightened conversations on all things related to Korea, we can tell you're a newbie in about 38 seconds. No offense. Everybody's a newbie at some point. No harm, no foul.

Sure, have a good time, but commit to living with your means. If you're making 10 million a month, blowing a million a month on boozing it up isn't going to dent your reality. If you're making 2.1? Yeesh. Even with privates, well, you get the point.

Not trying to preach, just being realistic. Seen too many people peel through coin like it's nothing only to regret it, and regret it a lot, 10 or 20 years down the road.

When you're 22 or 23 and right out of school, 32 looks like it's light years away; it isn't, and the faster you realize how financial decisions you make in your 20s impact your life (or your future family's life) in your 30s, 40s, and especially your 50s and 60s, the faster you're on your way to greener future pastures.

As you get older, the goal is to work less, get paid more, vacation better and longer, and to let your money work for you. Might just be me, but it's a formula for freedom. Life isn't all about money, but money is all about freedom to enjoy life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: