Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kyunghee U & Ewha Women's U Salaries?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GENO123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GENO, ed, and swash -- you guys are starting to sound like nothing but trolls. You ask for evidence of good salaries, short hours, long vacations, and comfortable working conditions, and when people like PRagic offer up their own anecdotes and those of colleagues/acquaintances, you dismiss it outright

The king of trolls is also the king of University informericals

How about details oh when I put them up no response.

At the top 40-50 universities" You can more or less sum it up this way : (e.g., actual working hours always being longer, sudden firings being common, salaries being low, no respect given to foreign faculty, etc.

UNIVERSITY CONDITIONS WITHOUT THE SMOKE AND MIRRORS

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=233809&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Quote:
Where is YOUR evidence of all these terrible conditions at the top 40-50 universities? You have none. Anything you might think you have comes from anecdotes, as well. There are A LOT of people with good uni gigs (yes, even in those top 40-50 schools!) in Korea, but you guys just keep telling yourselves whatever you need to in order to feel good about your crappy working lives

THREAD ABOUT FIRINGS

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2957277&highlight=#2957277

Do you want names so you can identify individuals and report them? I am more than sure you would not be above that.

QUOTE FROM ANOTHER POSTER ON THIS THREAD

Quote:
40-42 million a year for two 16 week semesters, . They also offer overtime at 40K/hr. Not terrible. [b]They hire often and prune the dead wood[/i],...

Hire often and and prune the dead wood for 41 - 44 million before any and all deductions doesn't sound like a particularly good job. So there you go.

Remember if a hogwon that paid 2.3 claimed that they pay 3.0 because they pay housing airfare and severence they would get flamed for it

Quote:
This thread, like the bulk of what is posted on Dave's, is chock full of idiotic misinformation. Anecdotal evidence and hearsay is all you're going to get from any question, so you'd best be prepared to sift through the garbage.

J7

The greatests idiotic info is what the guy who signs his posts with J7 writes - actually it isn't idiotic at all, rather it is misleading and infact sinister . Remember never forget to sign your posts as J7 That shows you are an elite professional. By the way mr elite professional do you not correct essays or do you put in the time which is it? One or the other here.
swashbuckler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackson7 wrote:
GENO, ed, and swash -- you guys are starting to sound like nothing but trolls. You ask for evidence of good salaries, short hours, long vacations, and comfortable working conditions, and when people like PRagic offer up their own anecdotes and those of colleagues/acquaintances, you dismiss it outright.

Where is YOUR evidence of all these terrible conditions at the top 40-50 universities? You have none. Anything you might think you have comes from anecdotes, as well. There are A LOT of people with good uni gigs (yes, even in those top 40-50 schools!) in Korea, but you guys just keep telling yourselves whatever you need to in order to feel good about your crappy working lives.

This thread, like the bulk of what is posted on Dave's, is chock full of idiotic misinformation. Anecdotal evidence and hearsay is all you're going to get from any question, so you'd best be prepared to sift through the garbage.

J7

You reply contributed absolutely nothing of substance to this discussion. At what point in this thread did I say universities have terrible conditions?? Please provide a quote if necessary. All I am asking for is for him to name a single university in Korea that pays 5 million a month for 12 hours a week 15-16 weeks a year teaching ESL class with minimal/no extra duties OUTSIDE of the normally scheduled teaching hours such as meetings, grading, etc...not naming names, not putting anyone's job in compromising position..just providing the salary scale for particular university..he has failed to do so yet..do you actually have one to name or are just here to blow smoke out of your ass too and dismiss people as trolls who don't agree with your opinion that university jobs are wonderful?

I did not know that regular salary increases for one-year contract workers who are basically viewed as temporary and expendable was the norm..If I can recall, the guy swampfoxx who used to post on here said Hansung offered salary increase of 100,000 per year but when I applied there a few years ago the starting salary was only 2.8 or something so it would take more than 10-15 years to reach 5 million...

BTW Kinda intersting too how PRmagic stated in his original reply that it was only "12 hours a week max" and that suddenly went up to "12-15 hours a week"...those three extra hours can make as much a substantial difference as when unis say they provide "housing" and it turns out to be a tiny shoebox or a dormitory on campus

and, do the math, 40-42 million won a year a Gacheon is still nowhere close to 5 a month..

Last edited by swashbuckler on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
GENO123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swashbuckler

Hire often and and prune the dead wood for 41 - 44 million before ANY and ALL deductions (remember also THE SKY IS THE LIMIT with unpaid extra work) doesn't sound like a particularly good job at all . How is that good conditions?

REMEMBER : PRUNE THE DEAD WOOD. I didn't start that quote but my oppenent disclosed that fact. Which makes all the difference.

It is not like teachers are getting a lot after deductions for " hire often and prune the dead wood"

Remember if a hogwon that paid 2.3 claimed that they pay 3.0 because they pay housing. airfare .and severence they would get flamed for it .

Work at university and take the TOEFL to prove yourself for stupid money.

Last edited by GENO123 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GENO, ed, and swash -- you guys are starting to sound like nothing but trolls. You ask for evidence of good salaries, short hours, long vacations, and comfortable working conditions, and when people like PRagic offer up their own anecdotes and those of colleagues/acquaintances, you dismiss it outright.

Where is YOUR evidence of all these terrible conditions at the top 40-50 universities? You have none. Anything you might think you have comes from anecdotes, as well. There are A LOT of people with good uni gigs (yes, even in those top 40-50 schools!) in Korea, but you guys just keep telling yourselves whatever you need to in order to feel good about your crappy working lives.

Our evidence is pretty clear to see on all the job adverts anyone can look at on this or other sites. I've never seen a single one offering close to 5mil for
12 hours of work or less and 4 or 5 months a year off. Most hover around the 3 mil mark. Plus I did mention earlier on in this discussion a guy I heard about who said he made 3.4 mil a month at Honik university (supposedly one of the better ones) after many years. See, I named a specific university and a specific salary, which Pragic wasn't able to do.

You or others will probably say something like the best university jobs don't advertise on Dave's, you can only get to 5 million a month after several years work etc.. Etc.. Which we've all heard umpty times on here already. Bearing in mind the way people do tend to exaggerate about these things I Think we were just looking for a little bit more detail, that's all.

As for your retort about working lives being crappy, mine is far from perfect but since I don't work at a university, or in Korea, or actually in teaching any more, I'm not directly comparing it.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like you I don't work in the TESL field. Originally, I offered that 5 million/month for a 12 hour sched because I personally knew people making that much back when I WAS teaching English in large university programs.

But I took the comments on the board to heart, thinking, sure, maybe my information is outdated and, given changes in the industry that perhaps I wasn't privy to, incorrect. I asked some friends on Friday and they told me that, yes, it is indeed possible to make 5 million/month on a standard schedule (at their schools it's 12 hours). In fact, they gave me examples. And, yes, the caveat was that you'd have to be at the same place for a long, long time. Question asked, question answered. Believe me or not, it's no skin off my back.

No, I won't relate information on specific schools. One drawback to the field, and a correct one that has been highlighted on this thread, is that there is indeed a tendency to shake things up, and often to the disadvantage of the teachers; Konkuk did a massive clearing many moons ago, as did SNU and Korea U. Who knows who's reading what board where?

Still, I'm facinated by the fact that the conversation had to digress to this point to be frank. Obviously, as a previous poster related, there are a lot of people doing quite well at university jobs. Some of them stick to the knitting and work only in-house, and others play outside of the sand box. Regardless, the better jobs do provide the 2-2.5 months of paid break during the summer and winter, and generally don't force schedules over 15 contact hours.

Are ALL university jobs great? Obviously not, but I can tell you as a tenure track prof that jobs in academe are rarely created equal no matter the degree level, dicipline, or time in service. You often have to pay your dues, get experience, upgrade your credentials, and have a proven track record to move up the feed chain or, given that TESL jobs at the larger schools are not unilaterally perceived as being the best, to get your pick of the jobs that ARE good regardless of location.

Will you be doing prep and grading associated with your 12 hour (or 15 hour..or whatever) teaching sched? Duh. Why bother even stating the obvious. I don't have a clause in my conctract that says my salary ONLY covers my contact hours over the course of a semester; that would be ludicrous. Yes, it is good to know what your work load will entail, but suggesting that universities are somehow clouding over reality by not telling you that you'll be grading as part of your duties is, well, kind of funny.

It will all boil down to what job fits what person best, and that's largely a personal choice. Someone threw out the remarkable pay that can be had in the Middle East. Great, but personally, I never would have bothered even looking at them. That's definitely not somewhere I'd like to hang my hat, and I sure as hell wouldn't ever take my family. I do have friends who have changed things up a bit and done a year or two over there, but they've all returned to teaching here or have taken positions back in N. America. None have anything good to say about the experience itself, but, hey, maybe that's why they didn't stay. Makes sense.

Can you have a pretty nice life doing the TESL thing here in Korea? Sure. Will it be smooth sailing? Nope. Will you probably have to jocky around to find new jobs every few years? Probably, but not always. Will you, as an MA holder, hold sway over a program or work conditions? Nope, not in this hierarchal society. All I know is that my buddies have pretty nice lives; they bank, they invest consistently in their home countries (stocks and/or real estate), they never work Fridays, they take uber paid vacations in great locations, and they by-and-large don't get too stressed out over work.

So why the tirade? Yes, you will teach. Yes, you will prep. Yes, you will grade. You're a teacher, after all. Your contract will say that you will be paid X amount per month, and you should know as a professional teacher that all of the above factor into that amount. Period. No mystery, no conspiracty.

And you should know as well that a LOT of people want these jobs so there's competition. This competition will allow employers to rework things in their favor up to the point when people no longer want to work for said conditions. Welcome to the real world. Find a place that probably won't do this to you, keep upgrading your credentials so that they want to keep you, and be proactive. It's not rocket science, it's a job market.
swashbuckler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yawn.more of the same horseshit...and i usually make 9 million a month and own a hagwon...see how easy that was?

oh, if you were directing that grading commet at me, obviously there's a huge amount of difference in the TYPE of grading one is responsible for and time spent outside of clas...for example at sunggyunwan where they make you teach entire semester of writing classes and then another semester of "presentation" classes (Im pretty sure SNU is simiar)...there would obviously be signicantly more grading time involved (essays) then just teaching some conversation 101class with interchange or whatever..as someone who claims to have taught esl before that should have been blatantly obvious..just sayin'!
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, believe me or not, no skin off my back. I'll try not to regress into the use of vulgarities to make my point, though. To each their own.

And guess that's why I specifically said it's always good to know what your workload will be like going in. Just sayin....

Personally, I don't CARE how much anyone makes teaching English at U here. This whole conversation started because U positions, specifically their pay and employment terms, were being so haphazardly denigraded.

IF someone doesn't want to work at a university, then they shouldn't. Simple enough. But with the number of people getting their MAs and standing in line to get these jobs, even intuitively something must be comparatively better in dem dar waters.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: PRagic Reply with quote

PRagic--I don't think there's anything you can say to these guys. You've laid it out there, you've given anecdotal evidence (while quite rightly withholding specific detail), you've made your caveats, and you've been subject to screed. I agree with everything you say. I think anyone rational would, but this thread has gone into the rabbit hole.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

PRagic--I don't think there's anything you can say to these guys. You've laid it out there, you've given anecdotal evidence (while quite rightly withholding specific detail)

He could say he talked to a guy who said he was making x amount of money at X University doing x number of hours after X number of years. In the same way I did.Don't know what the big secret is, if the person you talked to was telling the truth. Is it classified information or something? Surely if these institutes eventually pay salaries considerably higher than their initial offers why wouldn't they be publicizing it more to attract higher quality candidates in the first place? Decent places of employment are pretty transparent about this kind of thing these days.

With regards to security, Has it become a disciplinary offense to report on an anonymous internet forum what someone in a pub told you about how much he made at another place of work?
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All I know is that my buddies have pretty nice lives; they bank, they invest consistently in their home countries (stocks and/or real estate), they never work Fridays, they take uber paid vacations in great locations,

You forgot the professional sports teams they own.

Quote:
stocks

On something around 2.8 that would mean penny stocks or companies that have no value.

Quote:
specifically their pay and employment terms, were being so haphazardly denigraded.

That is what happens when the same metrics for evaluating hogwon salaries are used to evaluate what Korean universities offer, though the world "haphazardly" hardly applies to doing so. Indeed It is a good thing to tell what really goes on in "big Korean University land". Just too bad it hasn't been done enough and sooner.

Just cause it is so telling it is " hire often and and prune the dead wood" for 41 - 44 million before ANY and ALL deductions (remember also THE SKY IS THE LIMIT with unpaid extra work) That doesn't sound like a particularly good job. What is the take home pay in such a case?

Again keep in mind if a hogwon that paid 2.3 claimed that they pay 3.0 because they pay housing. airfare .and severence they would get flamed for it .

Use that metric for university salaries and one can chop off around 9.4M year from the what a school claims to offer. What is so great about that? Especailly cause teachers are often treated more or less like servants.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, no, no professional sports teams, just pseudo responsible adults with savings and investment goals that they stick to. And you're again assuming that the only income being generated comes from the university.

Stocks, or, more specifically, mutual funds. More than a couple of people on that route, including us. When I was teaching English at university, we bought our land over here, too, and a couple we are quite good friends with has been buying real estate back in N. America regularly over the past 10+ years. They're both university instructors and they also have a vacation home in S.E. Asia. Go ahead, call bs again...seems to be a revolving door. Anyone who knows me knows I wouldn't waste my time or the time of those on the boards with bs stories, though. Once more, no skin off my back if you don't want to believe me.

And I don't understand the whole housing included argument. So if a university offers a housing allowance or free (or highly subsidised) housing, that shouldn't be included either? After all, you're DEDUCTING a given amount in your formula under the assumption that housing or an allowance isn't included.

Again, airfare for long-termers isn't even factored in any more.

BUT the main point is that many find U jobs satisfactory, or at least more satisfactory than other options, and there is therefore a degree of flux associated with the market. I freely admitted that it wouldn't be a smooth ride because of this, and that the best one can do is simply lock onto a job that probably (PROBABLY) won't 'trim the dead wood'.

It's a great service to get people to go into U jobs with their eyes wide open, including the risks associated with pursuing longevity and the possibility, at least at some schools, of getting some extra work dumped into your lap. However, to continually denigrate the potential one may have should they get a decent job and hang onto it, particularly in the face of stories to the contrary, seems a bit much.

Is it an offensive concept if people are making some money (in-house or out), saving, investing, and traveling, not to mention enjoying their lives? Personally, I enjoy success stories. Again, to each their own.
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Funny, no, no professional sports teams, just pseudo responsible adults with savings and investment goals that they stick to. And you're again assuming that the only income being generated comes from the university.

Which brings us to another problem . While the chances of getting caught are not high if one does get caught doing extra work the consequences can be severe. Universities are sanctimonious as hell , full of themselves and many very will fire a teacher who gets caught. If someone makes money because of extra work it is not because of the university but in spite of the university. Lets not give the big schools credit that they don't deserve. This is money that they managed to earn by getting around the University system not working within it. Lets distinguish between the two. After all if someone had an internet business on the side or a bar on the side would you give credit to the University?

Quote:
And I don't understand the whole housing included argument. So if a university offers a housing allowance or free (or highly subsidized) housing, that shouldn't be included either? After all, you're DEDUCTING a given amount in your formula under the assumption that housing or an allowance isn't included.

.The "hire often and prune the dead wood for 36- 44 Million a year typical big school case mentioned would include everything before any and all deductions. . As I said after deductions it would come to quite a bit less than the original figure .

Hogowns that pay 2.3 M can't get away with claiming to pay 3.0 M because they also pay housing air fare and severance. So why ought universities be allowed to use a different measuring system to make them look better than they really are?

Quote:
Again, airfare for long-termers isn't even factored in any more.

If the school is good to someone I might agree . If the school is sanctimonious as hell and full of themselves and gives the instructor a lot of work and trouble then well then it ought to count. It all comes down to total work , and trouble versus total pay.

Quote:
BUT the main point is that many find U jobs satisfactory, or at least more satisfactory than other options, and there is therefore a degree of flux associated with the market. I freely admitted that it wouldn't be a smooth ride because of this, and that the best one can do is simply lock onto a job that probably (PROBABLY) won't 'trim the dead wood'.
It's a great service to get people to go into U jobs with their eyes wide open, including the risks associated with pursuing longevity and the possibility, at least at some schools, of getting some extra work dumped into your lap. However, to continually denigrate the potential one may have should they get a decent job and hang onto it, particularly in the face of stories to the contrary, seems a bit much.

That would come down down to how much money one needs and how they are treated . One thing that factors in is that if one happens not to be a male they are going to have a decent chance to avoid some of the worst aspects of being at a big school . In this discussion everything ought to considered and everything counts. In the end the description that I gave is pretty accurate. If someone wishes to take issue with how conditions and pay were calculated , measured and described they are welcome to participate in the discussion.
GENO123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even intuitively something must be comparatively better in dem dar waters.

Said the first mate on the Titanic. It is what is beneath the water that really counts here.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did anyone ever provide a salary range for either university in response to the OP's request?
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, there is a job at SNU in the ELI where it is possible to make over 5 mil/mo. If you are the head teacher, you get lots of extra private classes on campus and it adds up quick. But you are working over 12 hrs a week.

Other than that, I dont know of any that pay over 3.5 mil/mo. And I am quite familiar with most.

FWIW, SNU is not a good place to work. And if you do work there, you will lose any hope you have for Korea. I have Hongik near the top as they allow E2 visas to have extra jobs.

One teacher at SNU was being stalked by his neighbor. The stalker was calling SNU 10 times a day threatening to write "bad things in the media" if they didnt fire him. SNU was worried the guy would put something in the media and even if they sued, they wouldnt "get their image back". So they called their lawyer and found some loophole to fire him. He was near the end of his contract so it didnt matter much.

The same thing happened two months later to another teacher but SNU stood by him that time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: