Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand on tourist visa-Need ticket to show leaving?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Thailand on tourist visa-Need ticket to show leaving? Reply with quote

I'm likely headed to explore Thailand for a few months starting in September.

I plan to get a 60 day tourist visa processed in Seoul at the Thai embassy before I leave and then to extend for 30 days at Thai immigration in Bangkok (giving me a total of 90 days).

I am of course not sure of the exact date that I will leave Thailand so I don't plan on purchasing an airline ticket to leave Thailand until after I have been in Thailand and explored Thailand a bit. Am I likely to be hassled for not having an airline ticket for when I leave Thailand?

I'm guessing that I should be fine but I have heard about the recent crackdown on tourist visas and I wonder how strict they are likely to be.

Thanks in advance.
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the 60 day tourist visa from the Embassy, you are fine without the "onward travel" ticket.
It is the airline check-in counter that does the check for a. onward ticket or b. visa from Embassy. Never saw or heard of the Thai immigration checking at the airport.
The Embassy MAY want to see the onward travel ticket as a requirement for issuing the visa; try to at least print a reservation for them.

Note: All this info. is prior to the recent visa crackdown. But it should all still be fine for people without pages and pages of Thai entry stamps.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an overland itinerary and hotel booking for Cambodia or Laos and you are good to go.

If you have "proof of funds" (credit card, bank statement with ATM card to match) then it is not an issue.

The crackdown is on those who use multiple border runs (out/in) to avoid getting proper visas for their sojourn. People with back to back out/in entries are getting their entry stamped O/I and are being refused re-entry on subsequent border runs.

Legitimate tourists have no worry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: