Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any prob renting a car in Japan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Any prob renting a car in Japan? Reply with quote

Any problems renting a car in Japan? I'd go with a Canadian passport and a Korean driver's licence and an international licence based off my Korean one. I do have my Canadian licence but it would be too much of a hassle, I think to get an international licence from back home based on my Canadian one. Anyways, would the rental agencies in Japan give me flack for a different passport and a different licence? (I mean from two different countries.) I'd just put it on my credit card, which I assume they take in Japan.
Porksta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First make sure that you are okay driving on the other side of the road.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a valid IDP, matching license and valid credit card = no problem renting a car.

Driving on the left however is another can of worms. It is NOT as simple as just getting in and driving. Your instincts and driving skills are all wrong. Trying to do it in traffic is asking for an accident. Make sure you have full coverage insurance.

Finding your way around isn't that simple either. Signage in English isn't as common as it is in Korea (except around the major US bases).

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Sounds like I'm prob good to go. Was thinking Okinawa in the winter. Borderline, I know. I see 19 degrees in January and water temps 21 or 22 degrees. (As long as some locals don't chase after me and tell me I can't go to the beach.) Renting a car and driving around it might be cool.

Either this or going to Hokkaido in the summer to escape the heat. But, I'll take your advice on left side driving. It prob does trip you up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: