Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

''No seats for parents with kids'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I wonder though, are you as comfortable with it in regards to gender, ethnicity, or disabilities?

In a restaurant or similar establishment? Yes, I'd be fine with it. If someone wants to start a female-only dining club, or a traditional-style male-only pub, or simply doesn't want the hassle of dealing with wheelchairs, or whatever, that's fine. Equal access to employment and life necessities is worth legislating, but when it comes to things like restaurants, or wedding cakes, or saunas? If you don't want me in your sauna, that's fine. Possibly misguided, but fine.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the article mention that it's illegal in Korea to have a "no kids" policy for restaurants? Looks like CC's suggestion is the correct--and legal--option.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children are people and have the same rights and freedoms as adults and shall be afforded all rights, privilages and protections before the law.

Got a problem with that? Go cry to your mother!
sligo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
Children are people and have the same rights and freedoms as adults and shall be afforded all rights, privilages and protections before the law.

That works fine for pure blood Korean princes and princess, but when the spawn of the waygook comes into the picture another rule comes into play. Imagine Koreans giving a shit about non-Koreans!

As we saw from the Busan sauna that refused an Uzbeki woman who was a legel citizen, the police cannot act, as there are no laws to allows equal rights to foreigners (even if article 6 of the constitutuion says we have the same protection under the law as Koreans). I say anything that alerts Koreans to the injustice of discrimination (no matter how idiotic their complaints are) the more sympathetic they will become when the issue of racism against foreigners comes to fore.

No matter how angelic you find your kids, they will be annoying little shits to many, and will cause many more to have terrible experiences. taking unruly little brats to a adult populated restaurant (one that is not set up for children) is the height of selfishness. Not going to these places is the price you pay for your sexcrement!

Last edited by sligo on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Kidding...yes?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a problem with the law go tell city hall.

IMO children have the the right to freedom of expression just like anyone else.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either ban kids and waygooks or have it be against the law to ban either.

But anyone who is against banning foreigners but for banning kids is a hypocritical moron. "How dare they judge for the actions of a few!!!!" When it comes to a foreigner ban but when it comes to kids "One time this kid would not stop crying and it ruined my meal"=Perfectly justifiable to ban 10-20% of the population. This is topped by "They go after people with fewer protections and no ability to stand up for themselves" when talking about foreigner bans, and then they choose to target kids.

I have no problem with Fox's stance as he seems fine with foreigner bans and children's bans and adopts a pure "It's up to the owner" stance. But for the crowd that decries foreigner bans but is happy to see annoying little kids kicked out of restaurants, I feel just...embarrassed for you.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Got a problem with that? Go cry to your mother!

Children are to be seen, not heard.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ban seems unfair but I am not surprised. Too many Korean parents seem to think that restaurants are playgrounds for their little angels. If they can't control their brats, then they should stay home - rather than inflict that on others.
Same on planes. I flew 11 hours with a child crying constantly. They really need to be in soundproofed area. Not everyone adores children.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Same on planes. I flew 11 hours with a child crying constantly. They really need to be in soundproofed area. Not everyone adores children.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

That nonsense raises my blood pressure to the heights of the Rocky Mountains
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
The ban seems unfair

Doesn't matter how it seems. The fact is, as mentioned in the article linked in the OP:
Quote:
The National Human Rights Commission of Korea (NHRC) states that it is illegal for a business to ban children from entering restaurants, adding that it is against the rights of equality.

Banning children from a restaurant is illegal.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Truth is, this is common in the United States as well. But, establishments started posting declarations indicating that if parents did not manage their children, they would be asked to leave. So, they are not banned...but warned.

LOL! This thread makes me think of the movie 'Mallrats', with the Brodie getting worked up about the kid on the escalator.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:

Truth is, this is common in the United States as well. But, establishments started posting declarations indicating that if parents did not manage their children, they would be asked to leave. So, they are not banned...but warned.

LOL! This thread makes me think of the movie 'Mallrats', with the Brodie getting worked up about the kid on the escalator.

Didn't bother to read the article, did you? The issue is that some restaurant owners in Korea are banning all children, although that is illegal in Korea. It doesn't matter how common or uncommon it is anywhere else in the world.

Banning individuals for their own bad behavior, of course, remains legal.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't bother to read the article, did you? The issue is that some restaurant owners in Korea are banning all children, although that is illegal in Korea. It doesn't matter how common or uncommon it is anywhere else in the world.

Banning individuals for their own bad behavior, of course, remains legal

Nope, sure didn't. The thread is interesting enough.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid should hire a lawyer and sue the restaurant.

Make them pay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: