Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about multiple contracts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StellerX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Question about multiple contracts Reply with quote

I have just been fortunate enough to receive two contracts from schools that I am interested in. This is the first time I have made it this far into the hiring process, so I am a little unsure what to expect. I am leaning towards one of the offers heavily, and have even signed and sent in the contract (with no amendments). The recruiter has said they sent the contract to the school, which I requested a copy of once it is signed.

I am just curious how binding this is on the school's part. Are there instances where a school will send out a contract, get it signed and then not proceed with the candidate for some trivial reason? I ask because I still have another school interested in me, who also sent a contract. I don't want to leave them hanging when I have already chosen the other school, but at the same time, I don't want to say anything to them for sure until I hear back from the school I am most interested in. Do these things fall apart often on the employer's end, or are they pretty good about everything once you sign and send the contract in?

Thanks for any replies, the help is appreciated.
Sesame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should probably be 90% that they will take you on
StellerX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have clarified, I have signed the contract, which was then scanned and sent back to the recruiter. The recruiter has not asked for anything to be mailed at this point.
Sesame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellerX wrote:
Sorry I should have clarified, I have signed the contract, which was then scanned and sent back to the recruiter. The recruiter has not asked for anything to be mailed at this point.

did you send your passport photo and apostilled degree and all that. are you ready to board a plane tomorrow if they so to?
StellerX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recruiter had all of that on file in a scanned format, I have sent nothing physical as of yet. The contract doesn't begin until mid-December, but I could indeed be ready if needed at any time.

I am just curious if employers often back out of anything once they have actually sent a contract to a job applicant. In the past I had schools tell me they were going to send contract papers to my recruiter, only to hear days later they found an applicant inside Korea already so wouldn't be sending the contract after all. I am just hoping this sort of thing doesn't happen often once the contract has actually been sent and was looking for some insight from anyone who has been in a similar situation.
Sesame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellerX wrote:
The recruiter had all of that on file in a scanned format, I have sent nothing physical as of yet. The contract doesn't begin until mid-December, but I could indeed be ready if needed at any time.

I am just curious if employers often back out of anything once they have actually sent a contract to a job applicant. In the past I had schools tell me they were going to send contract papers to my recruiter, only to hear days later they found an applicant inside Korea already so wouldn't be sending the contract after all. I am just hoping this sort of thing doesn't happen often once the contract has actually been sent and was looking for some insight from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

In answering your question, yes it happens, and it happens because they found someone they like better, more attractive, younger, female, or the biggest one--they found someone in the country and don't have to fly them in. Saves them $1500.
tob55

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of when you sign a contract, it is not binding until the date the contract is scheduled to begin. Yes, schools and recruiters can and will back out of contracts at their own discretion. When I arrived in Korea many years ago, I already had a signed contract with a public school in an area close to Seoul. Instead of going there, the recruiter on the day I arrived chose to take me to a pre-school hagwon two hours in the other direction of where I was supposed to be placed. I wasn't sure of what to expect, but something happened and I was doing hagwon work instead of public school work.

It happens a lot, but people don't want to scare potential employees off so they promise the moon and then do what they are going to do anyway, why? Because no contract is legally binding until its scheduled date of start. Also, having your passport or other information is not sufficient for getting your visa. You have to show it to the Consulate people yourself, so they can't say we will black list you or anything of the sort, why? Because until you actually have a visa to work in the place of employment, nothing binds you to any school or institution.

Hope this helps as a first reply to your question. Cool
StellerX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the info. As for your situation tob55, with being spirited away to another school, I am made sure both school addresses were included in the contracts so that I at least minimized the chance of that happening.

Sounds like I should play it safe though, and not decline the other contract just yet. How long do schools wait to get a signed contract back normally? This one has been sitting with me for 6 days now (took roughly 6 days to get email addresses from the other teachers there and then to get a reply, so I haven't dragged my feet, but it has been almost a week since it was sent to me).

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: