Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

google chromecast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arpeggi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: google chromecast Reply with quote

is the chromecast i buy in the korea the same as i would get in the US - i.e., able to download apps like netflix?
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chromecast enabled app that plays content on your phone will be able to cast to a chromecast.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Chromecast does nothing but receive streamed video over a wireless network. If you want to stream Netflix, for example, you will need Netflix installed on whatever is doing the streaming: like a phone, tablet or computer which must also be plugged into the wireless network. To do that, you're going to need a VPN or proxy because Netflix is not available in Korea.
canada42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small clarification. The chromecast does not recieve streamed video directly from a device. The video is streamed from the server (youtube/netflix/etc) directly to the chromecast. The device you're casting from only functions as a remote. This means that for Netflix, you need a vpn that you can connect to via your router, as connecting your device directly doesn't matter since there's no way to directly connect the chromecast.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to buy a VPN I guess.

Are these just for phones or will they allow you to connect you PC or laptop to screen wirelessly also?
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC and laptop too. Chrome browser has extensions for casting music, local video, online videos, browser tabs... I've never had any trouble getting anything I wanted to to stream to my Chromecast from my tablet, phone or desktop. You will need Chrome browser on whatever PC you want to stream with though.

I heard that Netflix supports Chromecast with its own video player, but I've never used it, so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: