Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher Complains About How He's Treated in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
Highly motivated adults learn more vocabulary and are better at reading and writing than children are.

If you do have a child completely fluent in two languages, the child knows the structure. The child knows if something is grammatically right/wrong, just because they just know the structure. While an adult learner would have to think about it.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post.

Last edited by happyinhenan on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
Highly motivated adults learn more vocabulary and are better at reading and writing than children are.

If you do have a child completely fluent in two languages, the child knows the structure. The child knows if something is grammatically right/wrong, just because they just know the structure. While an adult learner would have to think about it.

You don't have young children who are 'completely fluent' in two languages, they have the base of becoming fluent in two languages as they reach adulthood but they still have a smaller vocabulary than an adult depending on their age of course.

A child doesn't know if their L1 grammar is automatically right or wrong and 'babyese' is full of grammatical errors and unless corrected by parents and teachers, the child will keep on making the same mistakes.

Repetitive correction enables correct grammatical structure - it doesn't appear by magic I am afraid.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
People reading this thread now: what have you observed from teaching students? Do you feel age is a factor in language acquisition?

... and at once I knew I was not magnificent
High above the highway aisle
(Jagged vacance, thick with ice)
I could see for miles, miles, miles
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Teacher Complains About How He's Treated in Japan Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbhdEF-Y_LM

He says that only about 1 to 2% of Japanese people treat him like a human being. It looks like some people in the comments section say that Korea is just as bad. Sometimes it's the little things- the subtle microaggressions that can wear you down. You start to notice a pattern after living here for a while. I've wondered how some people cope with living here long term. I think they learn to be happy living in their own little bubble- they've got a good job, good friends, and a good relationship.

It describes Korea until very recently. Strange that Korea has opened up within a few short years in spite of being closed off to the larger world for much longer. On the other hand, Japan has been open to the world for a long time and still behaves the way Koreans use to behave with xenophobia, microagreesion, c blocking, etc.

Koreans have mostly become quite nice, even if you still have to deal ettiquite issues which annoy many westerners sometimes. But, many don't seem to hate like before. So surprising Japan is like this still. Now they have those black right wing vans driving around and claim every island from every country from here to the moon and back?

Here's an article that stirred up a lot of hate in Japan recently.

http://madamenoire.com/520151/do-people-have-a-right-to-be-mad-at-a-half-black-woman-representing-japan-at-miss-universe/

As Korea becomes more tolerable in some ways, air pollution rises due to China, the weather usually sucks here, and wages go stagnant. China has bad air, but probably better work conditions and it also depends on where you live. I'd either go north with colder winters or go south or interior to escape the worst air.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kotaku.com/the-face-of-japan-is-changing-but-some-arent-ready-1691234262
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are four reasons being a private ESL tutor kinda sucked for me:

I am totally unqualified to be a private ESL tutor.

I was hired for the job because I have an English degree. But that doesn’t mean I know anything about explaining how the English language works. Sure, I intuitively know what’s right and what’s wrong when it comes to grammar. But I’m clueless when it comes to describing the difference between “during” and “for” when talking about time. I don’t have prepared worksheets or lessons for the sessions; I have been making it up as I go. My tutees have told me they enjoy the lessons and look forward to them, but how much am I really helping them?

I have little faith in adult ESL education.

Of course, I support learning at any age. But I don’t think it’s realistic for a man who works 40-60 hours a week (hardly using any English) to devote extra time to studying a second language. After the age of seven, the critical learning period for second languages is over. Then, people have to rely on declarative learning (such as rote memorization or repeated drills). The older you get, the harder it gets. I’m not saying they shouldn’t try. I’m saying it’s just going to take a lot of energy that they might not have, given their packed schedules. Their companies mandate weekly ESL lessons and it all seems like a formality to me. None have the time or the energy to take learning English at their age seriously.

I am unsure of the tutor-tutee power dynamics.

One of my tutees told me today that he wants me to push him to study, and he wants me to be tell him explicitly when he’s doing a bad job and when he needs to try harder. But how can I tell someone so busy to study? And how can I tell someone older than me what to do? I don’t know too much about Japanese culture, but I think that in general they respect the position of teacher more than Americans. He expects me to take ownership of that authority but I see him as of a higher status and am extremely uncomfortable taking charge.

I don’t trust getting close to (older) men.

One of my tutees is always really sweet and funny. Sometimes he gives me chocolates or soap. We have a good time having casual conversations and grammar lessons during our sessions. He told me I remind him of his daughter, and when I told him I was moving to Korea, he asked me to continue skyping ESL lessons with him once a week for the whole year and wanted to pay me in advance (almost $1000). This smells a bit fishy to me but I could just be being over-sensitive. Either way, I said no and ever since then, things have been a bit awkward between us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: