Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discrimination towards accents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:

His attitude only reinforces his frustration at dealing with the pig headed nature you are displaying on this thread. You have no experience of your British accent being a struggle for Americans to understand.
Therefore your belief is based upon no experience, instead it only exists to support what you want to be true.

Two people on this thread who have British accents are saying that Americans are the most likely to struggle to comprehend what they are saying.
Due to my experiences, and most importantly having a British accent, I am telling you that Americans were far more likely to struggle to understand my accent.
I don't deny your personal experiences, but two people on Dave's hardly makes for a definitive study. All I am saying is I think you are exaggerating the extent of it, at least in general, if not on the personal level. Anyway, what does "most likely" even mean? Two out of 500 Americans struggle, whereas only one of every 500 Canadians does? No, I don't have experience speaking with a British accent, but I do have plenty of experience listening to British accents, and have never had a problem, nor has any other American that I know, at least one who is college educated, as an ESL teacher would have to be. Again, I can't really deny your personal experience, just disagree with you two extrapolating from that experience a general statement that Americans "make a big deal" out of accents. And geez you two are touchy.

You know, accents are not the only reason people are hard to understand. Sometimes it's because they speak gibberish. That could be your and happyinhenan's problem. Maybe the other nationalities are just pretending to understand you. Cool
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
I don't deny your personal experiences, but two people on Dave's hardly makes for a definitive study. All I am saying is I think you are exaggerating the extent of it, at least in general, if not on the personal level. Anyway, what does "most likely" even mean?

I am going to apologise if I came across as 'touchy' you seem like an alright poster, a nice person. Your logic was skew whiff though, it has to be said.

I have worked in five countries with American teachers, some struggle with the way I speak and some don't. I have never had a South African, a Kiwi or a Canadian struggle in the same way, now that is not to say they were nicer people. Most of my buddies have been American and actually, I have found other Brits to be more actual snobbish regarding the way someone speaks, especially if they have pretensions regarding their social status.

Quote:
Two out of 500 Americans struggle, whereas only one of every 500 Canadians does? No, I don't have experience speaking with a British accent, but I do have plenty of experience listening to British accents, and have never had a problem, nor has any other American that I know, at least one who is college educated, as an ESL teacher would have to be.

I am not comparing accent discrimination to racism but I will compare your view on understanding racism because you are a white person who is not a racist then no-one else is - or very few people are - that logic is - again - very skew whiff. I am sure me and The Jazzman aren't the only two Brits who have had these experiences and I am sure if other Brits would care to weigh in with their experiences then you would have more of the same. It isn't a huge crime but this situation does exist where it doesn't with people from the Commonwealth.

Quote:
Again, I can't really deny your personal experience, just disagree with you two extrapolating from that experience a general statement that Americans "make a big deal" out of accents. And geez you two are touchy.

You need to argue your points a bit better, again, not every American makes a big deal of my accent but some do, which is 100% more than any other nationality. I don't make a big deal of anyones accent because I can deal with them - from Afrikaans English to French-Canadian English. No bother.

Quote:
You know, accents are not the only reason people are hard to understand. Sometimes it's because they speak gibberish. That could be your and happyinhenan's problem. Maybe the other nationalities are just pretending to understand you. Cool

Me? I am the epitome of fun! Ask anyone - life and soul outside of any 7/11 on a late warm evening. Cool
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWAUrHODRWM&spfreload=10

A great Scouse accent! Very Happy
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:

His attitude only reinforces his frustration at dealing with the pig headed nature you are displaying on this thread. You have no experience of your British accent being a struggle for Americans to understand.
Therefore your belief is based upon no experience, instead it only exists to support what you want to be true.

Two people on this thread who have British accents are saying that Americans are the most likely to struggle to comprehend what they are saying.
Due to my experiences, and most importantly having a British accent, I am telling you that Americans were far more likely to struggle to understand my accent.
I don't deny your personal experiences, but two people on Dave's hardly makes for a definitive study. All I am saying is I think you are exaggerating the extent of it, at least in general, if not on the personal level. Anyway, what does "most likely" even mean? Two out of 500 Americans struggle, whereas only one of every 500 Canadians does? No, I don't have experience speaking with a British accent, but I do have plenty of experience listening to British accents, and have never had a problem, nor has any other American that I know, at least one who is college educated, as an ESL teacher would have to be. Again, I can't really deny your personal experience, just disagree with you two extrapolating from that experience a general statement that Americans "make a big deal" out of accents. And geez you two are touchy.

We're not touchy, we're just calling you out for posting nonsense you know nothing about.
Again your lack of experience shows you that you're talking about what you want to be true, rather than what is true, in order to support your existing beliefs.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:

I am not comparing accent discrimination to racism but I will compare your view on understanding racism because you are a white person who is not a racist then no-one else is - or very few people are - that logic is - again - very skew whiff. I am sure me and The Jazzman aren't the only two Brits who have had these experiences and I am sure if other Brits would care to weigh in with their experiences then you would have more of the same. It isn't a huge crime but this situation does exist where it doesn't with people from the Commonwealth.
Of course you're not comparing accent discrimination to racism because that would be a stupid, cheap, and gratuitous analogy to make and, uh, oh wait...you slipped it in anyway. Not cool!

But if what you were trying to do was accuse me of drawing general conclusions from my limited experiences, well isn't that exactly what you are also doing? And why do you get to speak for other Brits but I can't speak for other Americans.

happyinhenan wrote:

You need to argue your points a bit better, again, not every American makes a big deal of my accent but some do, which is 100% more than any other nationality.
Happy, the very first thing you said in this thread - the very first thing - was this:
happyinhenan wrote:
Yes. I find Americans make a big deal out of it as well and never Canadians in my experience.
You did not say some Americans, and anyway, 100% of never is never, and even if you conceded that Canadians sometimes struggle, the number would still be small.

happyinhenan wrote:

Quote:

Me? I am the epitome of fun! Ask anyone - life and soul outside of any 7/11 on a late warm evening. Cool
Do you even know what gibberish means? If you do, I fail to see the connection between what I said and your response claiming to be the epitome of fun. There are no accent issues here, but I would still have to say to you, "Sorry, but what are you talking about??".

happyinhenan wrote:

I am going to apologise if I came across as 'touchy' you seem like an alright poster, a nice person. Your logic was skew whiff though, it has to be said.
I don't know what skew whiff means, but if it's good, thanks!
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:

His attitude only reinforces his frustration at dealing with the pig headed nature you are displaying on this thread.

jazzmaster wrote:
Again your lack of experience shows you that you're talking about what you want to be true, rather than what is true, in order to support your existing beliefs.
With incoherent phrases like these, no wonder people can't understand you. I'm scratching my head and I even get to read the text. You're are almost as bad as Sarah Palin. Cool
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
Of course you're not comparing accent discrimination to racism because that would be a stupid, cheap, and gratuitous analogy to make and, uh, oh wait...you slipped it in anyway. Not cool!

But if what you were trying to do was accuse me of drawing general conclusions from my limited experiences, well isn't that exactly what you are also doing? And why do you get to speak for other Brits but I can't speak for other Americans.

The comparison about limited experiences is valid - it is very valid and your - quite frankly - silly comments have no gravitas.

Quote:
Happy, the very first thing you said in this thread - the very first thing - was this:
happyinhenan wrote:
Yes. I find Americans make a big deal out of it as well and never Canadians in my experience.

Yes, the Americans I meet and have met (in comparison to Canadians) tend to make a big deal out of it (the qualifier was in my experience) which is a very small percentage of Americans that exist on this planet. Not every American - nowhere do I say that as I haven't met every American - see what we are talking about when it comes to 'critical thinking skills'

You did not say some Americans, and anyway, 100% of never is never, and even if you conceded that Canadians sometimes struggle, the number would still be small.[/quote]

That is why you all have to learn 'critical thinking skills in 'college' bless...

Quote:
Do you even know what gibberish means? If you do, I fail to see the connection between what I said and your response claiming to be the epitome of fun. There are no accent issues here, but I would still have to say to you, "Sorry, but what are you talking about??".

You have been speaking gibberish all throughout this thread with your nonsensical arguments and points of view. If I am speaking 'gibberish' I would not be the epitome of fun and good times outside various 7/11's around Seoul and district and would be instead - marginalised.

[/quote] I don't know what skew whiff means, but if it's good, thanks![/quote]

Yeah, it's good, Einstein - you and your skew whiff critical thinking skills.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:

You have been speaking gibberish all throughout this thread with your nonsensical arguments and points of view. If I am speaking 'gibberish' I would not be the epitome of fun and good times outside various 7/11's around Seoul and district and would be instead - marginalised.
They are probably having a laugh at your expense, that's why they like having a buffoon like you around.

Damn, I can't believe I got drawn into this flame fest. You are not even making sense anymore.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:

They are probably having a laugh at your expense, that's why they like having a buffoon like you around.

Buffoon with critical thinking skills - such basics that you sadly lack.

Quote:
Damn, I can't believe I got drawn into this flame fest.

Yeah, I mean, who forced you? Armed with your substandard logic. Laughing

Quote:
You are not even making sense anymore.

Let me know what's not making sense and I will simplify it even further for you. Rolling Eyes
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:

His attitude only reinforces his frustration at dealing with the pig headed nature you are displaying on this thread.

jazzmaster wrote:
With incoherent phrases like these, no wonder people can't understand you. I'm scratching my head and I even get to read the text. You're are almost as bad as Sarah Palin. Cool

This reeks of desperation. You know you've been bested, and now all you have are insults.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:

This reeks of desperation. You know you've been bested, and now all you have are insults.
Lest you forget, you two were the first with the insults, first hap and then you. But you win, I now believe that people do struggle to understand you.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:

Lest you forget, you two were the first with the insults, first hap and then you. But you win, I now believe that people do struggle to understand you.

Oh look, he is back again, against his will! Laughing

Who is making you post in this 'flame fest' again?

It is funny I understood everything Jazzmeister posted and that you don't - suffering from a critical thinking skills bypass , Sector7G - who forged your transcript? Laughing
Sector7G

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:

It is funny I understood everything Jazzmeister posted and that you don't - suffering from a critical thinking skills bypass , Sector7G - who forged your transcript? Laughing
You keep talking about my critical thinking, but I have refuted everything you have put up. You are the one who seems incapable of processing information, so it does not really matter what I say it seems. The thread has devolved into petty insults - from both sides. At this juncture, I don't know what else to say. Go ahead and have the last word.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
You keep talking about my critical thinking, but I have refuted everything you have put up.

You what? You have done nothing of the sort! What arrant nonsense!

Quote:
You are the one who seems incapable of processing information, so it does not really matter what I say it seems. The thread has devolved into petty insults - from both sides. At this juncture, I don't know what else to say. Go ahead and have the last word.

Thanks, I will.

You need to be a bit more accepting of other peoples experiences regards how some of your countrymen act. Now it isn't just me, it isn't just Jazzmeister and I am sure more will chime in.

You need to accurately process information and not read what you want with blinkers on.

Thanks! Be well! I am sure you are a nice guy in real life. Cool
Stain

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that Korean students are concerned with (or should I say their parents) are the tests. British people speak on the listening tests, too. So, they need to hear the British pronunciation as well. Granted, even the British speakers aren't speaking like themselves completely. Many know that an American or Canadian accent is preferred, so they sacrifice their way of speaking to fit what the Koreans want. But, ultimately, if it's on the test, then it matters. I really don't know why Koreans are fussy about accents when they really should be worried about about just making a correct sentence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: