Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discrimination towards accents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
It was certainly there when I copied it. If you made a mistake and then quickly deleted it that's one thing. But lying about it is pretty sad.

What on earth are you babbling on about? Laughing

Quote:
Also...my logic has been sound throughout - what has changed to make you think I will retract it? You certainly have not come up with anything new.

Seriously Hap, what else is there left to say?

Yes. I find Americans make a big deal out of it as well and never Canadians in my experience.

How is the above when I use the qualifiers in italics a 'blanket statement' about Americans? How can it be when I say quite clearly that I have only met a very tiny percentage of all the Americans out there?

No-one has said on this thread that ALL Americans have problems with other variants of English.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
My biggest problem with any type of English accent when it is being spoken by a native speaker of English, is that they are foreigners whose first language is English. I do by best to avoid foreigners unless they are from some place where English is not their native language.

Reading this thread Shocked Rolling Eyes is one good example (there are many) of why I made the above post. Crying or Very sad

And the who the hell wants to hang around you 'o special one'?

Did you see how no-one responded to your first post on here that nobody gives a toss what you think...

You boring git. Laughing

But, I now got a response from someone who seems to not be a native speaker of English. So, we can talk Smile. I just hope you ain't the bloke what was lookin' at me bum. Shocked
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
My biggest problem with any type of English accent when it is being spoken by a native speaker of English, is that they are foreigners whose first language is English. I do by best to avoid foreigners unless they are from some place where English is not their native language.

Reading this thread Shocked Rolling Eyes is one good example (there are many) of why I made the above post. Crying or Very sad

Did you see how no-one responded to your first post on here that nobody gives a toss what you think...

You boring git. Laughing

But, I now got a response from someone who seems to not be a native speaker of English. So, we can talk Smile. I just hope you ain't the bloke what was lookin' at me bum. Shocked

Your pointless response was noted, now, sod off. Cool
Stain

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
drcrazy wrote:

You boring git. Laughing

By no-one, you must mean you and Sector 7G. Everybody else checked out of this thread long ago. Now I'm included in the no-one class.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:

By no-one, you must mean you and Sector 7G. Everybody else checked out of this thread long ago. Now I'm included in the no-one class.

Well, I was referring to drcrazy's posts rather than the OP. Who cares that drcrazy doesn't want to hang out with other native English speakers - I think I am going to throw myself off a building now my life will be minus that pleasure.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
Stain wrote:

Well, I was referring to drcrazy's posts rather than the OP. Who cares that drcrazy doesn't want to hang out with other native English speakers - I think I am going to throw myself off a building now my life will be minus that pleasure.

Pusan Tower has a great view.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
Stain wrote:

Never fear, I will have you by the scruff of the neck when I do the final jump. Cool
Lunar Groove Gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the back and forth of this 6 page thread, disregard that.

I teach my students that there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking someone to repeat what they've said, to speak more slowly, or to even spell something when it seems too difficult to understand the word being said.

Having traveled far and wide, I've had to use these tactics to communicate effectively with people from all varieties of places, including America, England, Hungary, New Zealand...even QUEBEC(pretty thick accent that one is).

If the statement is that Americans the OP has met have been inordinately animated and in effect rude when unable to understand various parts of a conversation with a non-neutral accent, well, that is kind of the deal with the 'ugly American'. It is one type of many. There are 'uglies' as examples from any place I've been.

The ugliest are those that take 2 dozen exposures to one country's citizenry and decide one thing or another. Most of us do it, but we might catch ourselves in the interest of personal growth.

Now, the question which is raised here on occasion is: should they discriminate when hiring? Is it a long answer? We all know examples of people from any given English-speaking nationality who are difficult and even impossible to understand.

We also know individuals from those same countries who speak with astounding clarity and an elegance that echoes of their unique geographical origin.

The OP is kind of saying, in essence, that he/she is tired of being treated (by specifically Americans ) as if his/her use of English is difficult or impossible to understand (and this being done in an impolite and boisterous manner).

Such as that is, the real gripe is of individuals, regardless of origin, who make a loud and unappealing spectacle of the fact that they personally struggle with pronunciations unlike their own.

Ah well. Sometimes people spit on the sidewalk as I stroll by.
I'd complain about either also, and so we are here.
Complaining about really individuals, but being mistaken due to the initial verbiage, as a stronger emphasis on a blanket statement about one nation's people.

I think all people suck. So really, I'm not surprised that when confronted with a member of the species with which I share classification, the OP found sucking to be a definitive attribute. If he/she looked at it more closely, the suck did not stop there.
drcrazy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
Stain wrote:

Never fear, I will have you by the scruff of the neck when I do the final jump. Cool

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!! WHEN IS GOOD FOR YOU?
drcrazy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
Stain wrote:

PS: In case you were the bloke what was lookin' at me bum, I will jump first with a swan dive, then you jump the same way a second later and then you can be the last bloke what to be lookin' at me bum.
Embarassed
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
drcrazy wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
Stain wrote:

08.30 tomorrow morning outside the main door, don't be late, I have had a text off your 'mom' asking me to make sure you don't land head first because that method didn't quite work when you were a baby and wants to just make sure you are done and dusted this time around. Cool
JMO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to change my accent to be understood. I only originally attempted to change how I said down/town etc and it carried over into how I talk all the time. Most people can't place where I'm from thinking I'm from canada (but not east coast).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: