Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fromtheusa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

It's been a hectic day. I've booked my flights, an apartment via airbnb in Middle Village, NYC (looks good) and travel insurance. I am almost ready to go a month and a half in advance. Laughing

I've also inputted where I'll be staying in NYC on the Electronic System For Travel Authorization website. It's already been approved, I filled that in back in May.

Just small details to work out before I leave now.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I actually had never heard of that neighborhood before. That's really far. I guess it's not that bad if you want to hang out in Brooklyn.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it takes around 30 minutes to get to Manhattan by train from there. I think. Laughing
northway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manhattan is a big place.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the host on airbnb said their apartment is 30 minutes from Central Park, which is where most of the things are that I want to see. I hope it is only 30 minutes. Embarassed
northway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
I think the host on airbnb said their apartment is 30 minutes from Central Park, which is where most of the things are that I want to see. I hope it is only 30 minutes. Embarassed

Yeah, that's a lie. 45 minutes best case scenario, and that's not including the time it takes you to walk to the subway and wait for the train.

Assuming you have a smart phone or an iPod, I recommend getting the Embark NYC app. This will give you estimates of travel time and tell you which trains to take to get where you want to go.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subway is a matter of minutes from the apartment so I wouldn't call it an absolute lie. Other satisfied reviewers have also confirmed it takes around 30 minutes to get to all of the touristy sites in Manhattan from the apartment.

I don't have a smart phone, I have a very basic cell phone.

Thank you - If I did have a smart phone or iPod, I would check out the recommended app.

The good thing is I don't have a massive list of places to see, so as long as I set off early I will be okay. I also plan to buy tickets online for various attractions to avoid the queues.
guavashake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: fromtheusa Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Metropolitan Museum of Art and anything else that catches my interest!

I recommend a visit to the Cloisters. The Cloisters museum and gardens is the branch of The Metropolitan Museum of Art in northern Manhattan devoted to the art and architecture of medieval Europe.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the recommendation. I am interested in seeing historical exhibits from all around the world, that's what attracted me to The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Thank you for the recommendation. I am interested in seeing historical exhibits from all around the world, that's what attracted me to The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS3XM3xAPk
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. So, which do you prefer the country or the city?

Please don't go off-topic now everyone! Embarassed
northway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually hit up some beautiful countryside just outside of New York if you take Metro North up the Hudson Line. I take it routinely to visit my company's field offices and it's pretty much my favorite train ride in the world. You can also be a tourist and take pictures of Grand Central before you get on the train, all while having a reason to be there.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's worth considering. I get recurring hay fever if I'm closer to nature though.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MET is my favorite museum as well.

Eat as much pizza and as many bagels as you can.

Chinatown has some lovely soup dumplings at a place called Nice Green Bo. I think it's on Bayard between Elizabeth and Mott Streets.

The Union Square market is awesome. Try a mutsu/crispin apple.

Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge if you're into some nice views. Go to Grimaldi's Pizza once you're in Brooklyn.

Coney Island is a great day trip. Go to the Nathan's Original that is not directly on the promenade. There are two right there. The larger, main one is the first one ever. The fries (chips) are the best. They are famous for hot dogs, but they make a lot of tasty stuff. When I still ate meat, I would get the fried clams or a hot dog.

Central Park is huge. Buy hay fever meds and have a wander or ten. Walk along Central Park West and people watch those who can afford one of the most expensive residential areas in the city. Sigh...

The High Line Park starts around 14th Street near the Hudson. It's a repurposed above-ground subway track. It opened while I was living in Korea, but I visited last summer and it's lovely. Definitely check it out.

I'm trying to think of other things to do. Really, walk as much as you can. Get the unlimited weekly or monthly (depending on the length of your stay) metrocard, which works for all regular subways and city busses.

I generally hung out in the village, but every neighborhood has its own flavor. Have fun, eat well, and watch this video on being a tourist in NY. If I think of anything else, I'll message you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmPBPWHJu4
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much indeed for your input.

A thread about a trip to NYC would've been seriously lacking without a post from yourself!

I have extended my trip to 17 days. Taking into account that I am very lazy, at the very least I want to visit the following attractions (in no particular order):

Central Park Zoo

the Empire State Building

Brooklyn Bridge

the Metropolitan Museum of Art

I also plan to simply watch a movie at a movie theater too.

I've never eaten a bagel before and I plan to try them. I will eat pizza, it might be my staple diet while I'm there. I suspect that I will also track down some Pakistani restaurants.

Thank you for the link. I've watched many of these vids on youtube. Just visited the link and I've already seen it. True story! Cool

I am feeling more confident about how to use the subway system, it will be nice to not waste time getting lost. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: