Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fromtheusa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Central Park Zoo is pretty crappy. It's really just a children's attraction, and an overpriced one at that. If you want to go to a zoo, the Bronx Zoo is actually kind of neat.

Speaking of children's attractions, I'd recommend hitting up FAO Schwartz, the toy store from the film Big. It's right next to Central Park and very cool.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
The Central Park Zoo is pretty crappy. It's really just a children's attraction, and an overpriced one at that. If you want to go to a zoo, the Bronx Zoo is actually kind of neat.

Speaking of children's attractions, I'd recommend hitting up FAO Schwartz, the toy store from the film Big. It's right next to Central Park and very cool.

It's closing for good July 15th.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. A cursory glance does suggest that Bronx Zoo is better but as I want to visit Central Park and a few other attractions nearby, I might just go to Central Park Zoo because it's convenient.

You're right, the FAO Schwartz is due to close on July 15th, just checked online.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to check, do Americans flush toilet paper down the toilet? I wouldn't want to block it! From memory, I think they do but it is wise to be sure.

Also, do American guys wear sandals? I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. It'll be a long flight to the US, so I am thinking why bother sweating in socks?!! Accurate answers will be highly appreciated. Laughing
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the States. Yes, toilet paper is flushed. And, yes, American guys wear sandals, though the socks with sandals looks is generally reserved for those over the age of 70.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I am seriously considering going in sandals, no stinky socks, less laundry and more comfort on board. Laughing
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Thank you very much indeed for your input.

A thread about a trip to NYC would've been seriously lacking without a post from yourself!

I have extended my trip to 17 days. Taking into account that I am very lazy, at the very least I want to visit the following attractions (in no particular order):

Central Park Zoo

the Empire State Building

Brooklyn Bridge

the Metropolitan Museum of Art

I also plan to simply watch a movie at a movie theater too.

I've never eaten a bagel before and I plan to try them. I will eat pizza, it might be my staple diet while I'm there. I suspect that I will also track down some Pakistani restaurants.

Thank you for the link. I've watched many of these vids on youtube. Just visited the link and I've already seen it. True story! Cool

I am feeling more confident about how to use the subway system, it will be nice to not waste time getting lost. Laughing

It's pretty easy to navigate the subway. Just walk quickly or move to the side. That part of the video was serious.

If you fancy a curry go to 6th street between 1st and 2nd avenue. Loads of curry houses.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
fromtheuk wrote:
Thank you very much indeed for your input.

A thread about a trip to NYC would've been seriously lacking without a post from yourself!

I have extended my trip to 17 days. Taking into account that I am very lazy, at the very least I want to visit the following attractions (in no particular order):

Central Park Zoo

the Empire State Building

Brooklyn Bridge

the Metropolitan Museum of Art

I also plan to simply watch a movie at a movie theater too.

I've never eaten a bagel before and I plan to try them. I will eat pizza, it might be my staple diet while I'm there. I suspect that I will also track down some Pakistani restaurants.

Thank you for the link. I've watched many of these vids on youtube. Just visited the link and I've already seen it. True story! Cool

I am feeling more confident about how to use the subway system, it will be nice to not waste time getting lost. Laughing

It's pretty easy to navigate the subway. Just walk quickly or move to the side. That part of the video was serious.

If you fancy a curry go to 6th street between 1st and 2nd avenue. Loads of curry houses.

There's actually a much higher concentration on 28th/29th and 3rd Ave. That's where all the cab drivers go.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True! I lived in the east village, though, so am partial to 6th.

I wonder if he's a bagel aficionado yet.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Brooklyn Bridge, Grand Central, New York Public Library (writing this from there now, I didn't bring my laptop to the US), the Metropolitan Museum of Art and today I visited the High Line. I have one thing major left on my list and that is the Statue of Liberty.

I will get a bagel soon. I found an excellent Italian place this morning, nice vegetable soup called Pax Wholesome Foods near 42nd Street, Bryant Park.

I will be in touch but maybe not very often, the New York Public Library give a free 30 minute slot a day for guest users. Take care, glad to hear you've found somewhere in England that you like.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left NYC, vacation over! I saw Trump Tower and visited Macy's.

New York City is worth a visit, that's for sure. Walking around Manhattan every day was interesting. I look Middle Eastern in appearance and initially, I felt I got a bit of attention walking down the street. After a while, I blended in (as much as I could).

There were plenty of opportunities for hilarity which I took full advantage of. I behaved quite impeccably and I tried to be polite and non-threatening. It was fun to demolish negative stereotypes of Middle Eastern people by behaving the exact opposite of the extreme, angry, fanatic caricature as depicted by the media.

I have been to the US three times to Missouri, Los Angeles, Michigan, Delaware, Philadelphia and now New York City. Some people are very helpful and very polite in NYC. However, some New Yorkers are very rude and very childish. I resorted to closing my eyes when on the subway to pretend to be asleep.

I found that if you happened to glance at a woman, even by accident sometimes they'd give you a glare like you had violated them in some way, so to avoid that I learned to avoid looking in their direction as much as possible.

Some New York women are very attractive while some think they are and are not. They think they are 'all that' when they act like a waste of space. Bad attitude and a focus on external beauty.

I like the overall vibe of the city, I never feel relaxed in public so that is my shortcoming but I felt there was a positive vibe in NYC. Americans tend to be open, friendly and talkative. They are not unnecessarily nasty, mean and unpleasant as some Europeans tend to be, thankfully.

It is a cliche but you do get good and bad people wherever you go, in my experience I tend to remember the bad more than the good.

Overall, I would recommend that you visit NYC, it is a pretty impressive place.

After years of self-analysis, I have reached the conclusion that I am socially awkward, self-loathing, have low self-esteem when it comes to romance and also a bit bipolar in that my mood tends to change quickly.

On a planet of 7 billion people, the fact that I cannot muster the guts or charm to find a woman to be with is depressing.

I digress. NYC is quite nice though. Laughing
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Missouri did you visit?
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a university exchange student at CMSU for four months.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
I was a university exchange student at CMSU for four months.

I was born in Kansas City and lived in Lee's Summit but moved at an early age. I lived mostly in Columbia, Mo. What did you think of Missouri? I can guess.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Warrensburg, Missouri. I lived in a dorm on campus and everything was there locally to live a normal existence. The people were very nice and I had no problems at all. It was my first experience of America and I was very impressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: