Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inequality - not simply Poverty - harms society
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
I like rich people. The rich hired me when I was poor. The rich have provided a means for me to prosper. I aspire to be rich. If it wasn't for the rich, I would be just another dude living check to check. Instead, I'm semi-rich and working my way up. Rollin~

The rich instructed their instruments of power to dump your health coverage mandates for a upper-class tax cut.

You're a peon like the rest of us. You're just far more deluded.

I have great healthcare coverage. I couldn't be happier.

I don't consider myself a peon. Why on earth would I consider myself a peon? Tell me what makes me a peon in your view? I might be upper-class, or at least getting close to it, upper middle-class in USA home state; upper-class in South Korea.

What makes you a peon? You make your wealth from labor rather than capital. In all but a few cases, this makes you a peon.

(Unless you're in the top one percent of the professional classes, you are a peon under this system. The only member of the management class who posted on this board is now gone. We all make our bread from labor. And no, your paltry retirement plan does not qualify you as a master and commander).

You view the world as you see yourself...
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the wisdom of, 'I know you are but what am I . . .'

and the old adage, 'I'm rubber you're glue, what bounces off me sticks to you . . .'

and of course, the ancient saying, 'no u.'
tophatcat

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
I like rich people. The rich hired me when I was poor. The rich have provided a means for me to prosper. I aspire to be rich. If it wasn't for the rich, I would be just another dude living check to check. Instead, I'm semi-rich and working my way up. Rollin~

The rich instructed their instruments of power to dump your health coverage mandates for a upper-class tax cut.

I don't consider myself a peon. Why on earth would I consider myself a peon? Tell me what makes me a peon in your view? I might be upper-class, or at least getting close to it, upper middle-class in USA home state; upper-class in South Korea.

What makes you a peon? You make your wealth from labor rather than capital. In all but a few cases, this makes you a peon.

(Unless you're in the top one percent of the professional classes, you are a peon under this system. The only member of the management class who posted on this board is now gone. We all make our bread from labor. And no, your paltry retirement plan does not qualify you as a master and commander).

I'm in the top one percent in this system.

Calling me things like a "peon" and saying things like I have a "paltry retirement plan" is insulting and disrespecting. Making false claims in an attempt to bring down others should be seen as enough reason to have you banned from the site.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry I hurt your feelings.

I do find your complaint that I directly responded to your bragging about your personal wealth to be rather ... semi-rich.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
I am sorry I hurt your feelings.

I do find your complaint that I directly responded to your bragging about your personal wealth to be rather ... semi-rich.

You didn't hurt my feelings.

I was responding to the insults.

It's good to see you are back in line.

Apology accepted.

Friends forever,

tophatcat
jaykimf2

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:

Congratulations! I wonder though if you mean 1% globally (US$32,400 income), or in the US (US$450,000 income)? Or did you mean by net wealth? $770,000 globally, $7,000,000 in the US.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-percent-world.asp#ixzz4VjrDRLvu

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hadn't realized till now that I am also in the top 1%. Funny though, that I don't feel rich or even semi-rich.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaykimf2 wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Congratulations! I wonder though if you mean 1% globally (US$32,400 income), or in the US (US$450,000 income)? Or did you mean by net wealth? $770,000 globally, $7,000,000 in the US.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-percent-world.asp#ixzz4VjrDRLvu

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hadn't realized till now that I am also in the top 1%. Funny though, that I don't feel rich or even semi-rich.

The top 1% in annual income in South Korea.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/dont-forget-those-tax-cuts-house-health-bill

Quote:
For all the attention being paid to the changes in the health insurance exchanges in the House-passed American Health Care Act (AHCA) it is easy to forget: The bill would cut taxes by nearly $900 billion over the next decade, mostly benefitting the highest-income Americans.

. . .

The net effect: The Tax Policy Center estimates that in 2022 (when the changes would be fully effective) the lowest income households would get a tax increase averaging $10. Middle-income households would get a tax cut of $240, or 0.4 percent of their after-tax income. The top 0.1 percent would get an average tax cut of $207,000, increasing their after-tax incomes by 2.6 percent.

Put another way, the highest income 20 percent of households, those making $150,000 or more, would receive 80 percent of the benefits of the tax cuts. The top 1 percent, who will be making $772,000 or more, would get half the benefit, and those in the top 0.1 percent, who will be making $4 million-plus, would get 28 percent.

The AHCA is not really a health plan so much as a tax cut for the top 1%.
goat

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most everyone gets a tax cut. That's wonderful. A tax cut is much better than an Obama health insurance (tax) hike.

Way to go Donald!
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone needs and wants government services - especially rich people who greatly benefit from corporate welfare and barely pay living wages to their employees - so they should pay way more in taxes to help keep everyone else afloat...
jaykimf2

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
jaykimf2 wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

I'm just wondering how high your income has to be, to be in the top 1% in Korea. And I'm also curious as to what you do to have such a high income.
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaykimf2 wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
jaykimf2 wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

I'm just wondering how high your income has to be, to be in the top 1% in Korea. And I'm also curious as to what you do to have such a high income.

Please don't. He turns every thread into how much money he makes, without actually giving numbers. I also made this mistake of entertaining this premise.

To your earlier point: its not income inequality, its almost certainly wealth inequality.
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

I understand you mean that a person is just a cog-in-the-wheel. Some took umbrage at the use of the word peon. Some may misunderstand and see it as you're trying to put them down. I don't think you are, but when people use certain words, it can be taken the wrong way.

Have a nice day.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaykimf2 wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

That means many home owners in the SF Bay Area are in the top 1% globally. Interesting.
chellovek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Calling me things like a "peon" and saying things like I have a "paltry retirement plan" is insulting and disrespecting. Making false claims in an attempt to bring down others should be seen as enough reason to have you banned from the site.

I'm a cheese, a HUGE cheese!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: