Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I knew I shouldn't have paid my student loans!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Use Google, man. College tuition has risen but so have grants and scholarships (with is rarely mentioned).

What are all of these young chaps that haven't been paying their debts going to do when the jobs here dry up and they have to go back home.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the well-being of society as a whole, collective success is more important than individual success. Because of different challenging circumstances, many individuals need various kinds of support for a society to be successful.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone dislikes a bum.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
What are all of these young chaps that haven't been paying their debts going to do when the jobs here dry up and they have to go back home.

With bad credit, they'll have no choice but to live in a bad neighborhood (the ghetto) with other losers, blaming their situation on "the man". Their neighbors will blame their position in life on the white man, while the failed ESL teachers will cast blame on the big bad U.S. federal government who "tricked" them into borrowing money in the form of subsidized low interest loans.
slothrop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Use Google, man. College tuition has risen but so have grants and scholarships (with is rarely mentioned).

LOL. So you're lazy, got it.

Pell Grants:

Quote:
The number of students receiving Pell Grants increased from 3.8 million in 1993‐94 to 5.1 million in 2003‐04, and to 9.2 million in 2013‐14.
Total Pell Grant expenditures increased from $16.1 billion (in 2013 dollars) in 2003-04 to $38.2 billion in 2010-11, but declined to an estimated $33.7 billion by 2013-14.

Despite increasing by 12% in inflation-adjusted dollars over the decade, the maximum Pell Grant covered 79% of average public four-year tuition and fees in 2004-05, but only 63% in 2014-15. It covered 20% of average private nonprofit four-year tuition and fees in 2004-05, and 18% in 2014-15.

link

And I found your link. Nice selective quoting on your part.

Quote:
Pell Grant funding rose by 26 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars. However, the average Pell Grant increased only 3 percent, providing an additional $200 per recipient. The $2,770 average Pell Grant covers less than 20 percent of average total charges (tuition and fees, room and board) at public four-year colleges and universities, while the maximum Pell Grant covers 34 percent of these charges.

So no, when factoring in the cost of tuition, and the increased # of students, it has in fact relatively shrunk.

Your link:

http://www.mycollegescholarship.org/college-cost-facts/
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You claimed:
bucheon bum wrote:
The # of available scholarships and grants has also shrunk.

...which is clearly wrong. I knew it was, so I quickly refuted it. With the first link I came across.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Too many people don't want to put the sweat, hard work, time, and effort into what it takes to reap the big benefits.

You talking about the country where workers take the fewest vacations and get no paid maternity?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/travel/u-s-workers-vacation-time/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2014/10/22/americas-disappearing-vacation-days/

Quote:
Workers took an average of 16 days of vacation in 2013 compared to an average of 20.3 days as recently as 2000. Some 169 million of those paid time off days from last year are permanently lost; by forfeiting them, American employees collectively surrendered $52.4 billion in benefits, or an average of $504 per employee for free labor for their employers.

"Reality has well known liberal bias."
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
You claimed:
bucheon bum wrote:
The # of available scholarships and grants has also shrunk.

...which is clearly wrong. I knew it was, so I quickly refuted it. With the first link I came across.

Yeah dude, so I phrased it wrong. The amount available per capita has decreased. College has become less and less affordable. That's the point.
IBD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Jobs will never dry up in the ridiculous joke that Korean EFL is. They'll just continue to make their 2.3 and complain when a masters is no longer enough for that whopping salary. Nothing will ever change as long as Koreans and universities keep wasting money for a native English speaking teacher, preferably white and female..ahem.
SocialParasite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Everyone dislikes a bum.

Yes that is quite true. Now get out there and work hard and pay off your debts. Because money=debt. What better way to enslave an entire generation of young people than using debt slavery.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/07/world-without-work/395294/

Quote:
Hunnicutt said he thinks [that as automation replaces workers] colleges could reemerge as cultural centers rather than job-prep institutions. The word school, he pointed out, comes from skholē, the Greek word for “leisure.” “We used to teach people to be free,” he said. “Now we teach them to work.”
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of jobs out there. Well perhaps not for people who have a BA in Pop Culture Studies.

I know a young man back home who has a two-year certificate in diesel mechanics. He has been with Caterpillar Inc. for three years. He told me he made $85,000 last year. He also told me Caterpillar was having a difficult time filling mechanic positions.
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
tophatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
There are a lot of jobs out there. Well perhaps not for people who have a BA in Pop Culture Studies.

I know a young man back home who has a two-year certificate in diesel mechanics. He has been with Caterpillar Inc. for three years. He told me he made $85,000 last year. He also told me Caterpillar was having a difficult time filling mechanic positions.

your friend got a great deal. he makes more than twice the average salary for diesel mechanics($41,000).
http://www.salarylist.com/jobs/Diesel-Mechanic-Salary.htm

Some of it was due to overtime. I think his 40hr week, yearly salary is around low $60,000s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: