Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015 Foreign instructors training program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: 2015 Foreign instructors training program. Reply with quote

Repercussions for not going?

I know there's a thread from the 2013 session, but I don't want to get into a debate about the pros and cons of going or not. Or whether is is actually madatory or not. I just want to hear if people have had to deal with blow-back for not going in years past.

Fines?
Get an earful from the boss?
Nothing?

My last employer told us that he would be fined if we didn't go and that he would take it out of our pay cheques. I don't remember how much...but he threatened to take out a lot. A few 100k or more if I remember correctly. I didn't want to chance it, but really don't feel like going this year.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That time of year, again?

Well, all three of those options are indeed possible.

But, to be legally fined? I am not so sure about that one.

If it will create a bigger headache for you by NOT going, than perhaps you may wish to suck it up. But, this "event" is all a sham show anyway.

I don't suppose your boss is paying overtime?
pjstarbuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaseled my way out of it last year (long story but convinced my boss to just drop it), and he tried to persuade coworkers to go - they didn't go, nothing bad happened. Nothing from the boss, nothing from the government. Also had two friends, one a hagwon worker and the other at an after-school program, who both blew it off entirely, despite their respective bosses telling them to go, and nothing happened.

I think the only repercussions that would happen would come from your boss, so it all depends on what sort of boss you have and what sort of relationship you have with him/her.
DaeguNL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2015 Foreign instructors training program. Reply with quote

OBwannabe wrote:
Repercussions for not going?

I know there's a thread from the 2013 session, but I don't want to get into a debate about the pros and cons of going or not. Or whether is is actually madatory or not. I just want to hear if people have had to deal with blow-back for not going in years past.

Fines?
Get an earful from the boss?
Nothing?

My last employer told us that he would be fined if we didn't go and that he would take it out of our pay cheques. I don't remember how much...but he threatened to take out a lot. A few 100k or more if I remember correctly. I didn't want to chance it, but really don't feel like going this year.

nothing is gonna happen to your boss. your boss might get pissy at you for not going, but that's it.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are NO legal repercussions for not going.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: