Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Great Korean ESL Novel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stain

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody ever read The Real Korea: Eslcafe Site Comments? I heard it's very informative.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Has anybody ever read The Real Korea: Eslcafe Site Comments? I heard it's very informative.

It may have been relevant 10 years ago but has long been consigned to the bottom shelves.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

It may have been relevant 10 years ago but has long been consigned to the bottom shelves.

Yea. Ten or even twenty years ago a novel or nonfiction book about Korea would have still been bottom shelf material. The problem is that very few in the world would have any interest in what has happened here recently or a long time ago.
Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could have a successful book with a central character who works as an English teacher in Korea - but NOT be ABOUT teaching English in Korea (or even the English teacher lifestyle in Korea).
rocket man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Recently released.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0692674004/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_09cnxb1WKFQZM
No reviews yet. Anyone read it?

I read it and actually lived a chunk of it being a univ teacher up in Gongju at the same time. It's a good read and pretty much dead on about what is was to be like hogwon teacher at the time. We socialized with the local hogwon teachers and the people we encountered were quite similar to the people in the book.

The ex-wife and I could write our own book (and we have talked about it) about our time there. Heck we could write a series of stories about life in Korea from the first year going up to Seoul in 1996 and waiting 3 hours to use a text-based internet connection at the Net Cafe, to the 1997 Asian Economic Crisis, the 2002 World Cup and the tank incident and all the anti-us protests that ensued, the rise of Anti-English Spectrum (aka the "Ask the Playboy incident), Christopher Paul Neil, the beef protests to coming home in 2013, get the picture? Yeah we wouldn't make dime one but it would be a good read especially if you were there
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's one of the good things about the internet that you can easily get access to novels like these which wouldn't have been published before. They may not be great art or commercially viable for the masses but they can be enjoyable to read if they're relevant on a personal level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: