Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eggs with two yolks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: eggs with two yolks Reply with quote

a few months ago I started buying these eggs that are supposed to have less chemicals/no antibiotics etc... at first we'd get an egg w/2 yolks once out of every 2 or 3 packages, then we started getting 1 or 2 per package. the latest package i bought so far has had 5 w/2 yolks, 5 w/1 yoke, and 5 not yet cracked.

is there something wrong with these eggs? should i stop eating them? is 2 yolks the result of something unhealthy like steroids? or radiation from fukishima? or is it what happens when chickens stop being given drugs? would you stop buying these eggs even though they claim to be healthier than others?

Last edited by slothrop on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
yodanole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen two oxen with one yoke, but I've never seen an egg with any kind of yoke

https://karenhancock.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/oxent.jpg

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/images/wtp/19323.JPG
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha good catch. i think this may be the first time i've ever written the word 'yolk'.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandparents had a farm. There were chickens on the farm. The chickens were big and laid big eggs. Sometimes an egg would have 2 yolks. Perhaps it happened 1 time out of 10. The chickens only ate natural foods such as corn.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same experience as TopHatCat. Grew up on a farm raising some chickens. No chemicals or anything that I was aware of. We would get eggs with two yolks fairly often. Man were they tasty! I miss fresh eggs.
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there would also be two whites. It is just that two eggs are in the same shell. I had chickens that often had eggs this way. I would hatch one egg in my incubator, and have two chicks come from it.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: eggs with two yolks Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
a few months ago I started buying these eggs that are supposed to have less chemicals/no antibiotics etc

Assuming Korea has similar food and drug regulations as the US (and I've learned nothing to suggest that they don't), then you need only buy normal eggs to avoid antibiotic residues in your food. Every antibiotic in use, before it can be approved for use in food animals, must have a withdrawal time demonstrated so that farmers, veterinarians, and food safety regulators know how long a given drug takes to be 99% metabolized and eliminated by the treated animal. In other words, nothing you buy in the store, no matter what the label says, contains any antibiotics.

Quote:
or is it what happens when chickens stop being given drugs?

The only thing that happens when chickens or other animals no longer receive antibiotics is that they have to be culled much more frequently as a result of succumbing to otherwise treatable infections. "Organic" food as somehow healthier is not just a scam, it's a far more inhumane (and inefficient) method of raising food animals.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: eggs with two yolks Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
The only thing that happens when chickens or other animals no longer receive antibiotics is that they have to be culled much more frequently as a result of succumbing to otherwise treatable infections.

So true, people forget that it wasn't that long ago, only in the last 100 years, that infant mortality rates have gone down so much. Naturally, it was close to 20%. That's like 1 in 5 babies born would not survive their first few years. In undeveloped countries it's still like 10% (I think they do the numbers based on every 1000 births). The developed world's low infant mortality is all because of modern medicine, and clean water. Take that medicine away, on average just under 20% of babies will die.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwangjuchicken wrote:
Actually there would also be two whites. It is just that two eggs are in the same shell. I had chickens that often had eggs this way. I would hatch one egg in my incubator, and have two chicks come from it.

Interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: