Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horace and Pete - Louis C.K.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Horace and Pete - Louis C.K. Reply with quote

Horace and Pete
Louis C.K.

If you haven't seen this yet, give it look.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the strange feeling that you guys don't know what you're missing.

This show is worth checking out. It just started this year.
The cast is epic and the writing is staggering.

This will be the best sit-com ever.
Bold statement...awaiting discussion.
Cheers
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Horace and Pete - Louis C.K. Reply with quote

Televised theater. After watching just the first episode, I second the boldly stated assessment of The Cosmic Hum. Well done indeed.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the eggs-and-breakfast scene and thought the show was horribly terribly preachy. I then also remembered to be nice to my wife because I do not ever want to be Louis CK's age and single.

The rest of you should probably check it out for yourselves. I dislike Louis CK for some reason, but Steve Buscemi is in it.
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:

Comedy is philosophy's dark, ugly twin, jarringly illustrating the worst in us, but unable to, on its own, provide a path to self-improvement, because all it can do is mock and jest. The comedian is adequate to shake a man from his complacency, but having been so shaken, he no longer has anything to gain from the comedian's services. Beyond that, there's a potential for dysfunction in comedy when it ceases to jar and instead soothes; when one listens to a comedy routine which lampoons one's deficiencies, and rather than feeling motivated to mend them, instead simply chuckles and nods along, knowing full well that he'll bear the same deficiencies next time he attends a comedy routine and being reconciled to that fact. When morphine is no longer used to temporarily kill pain while seeking medical care, but instead is used habitually, it is addiction. Likewise, our society seems to be addicted to comedy, having learned to enjoy the gadfly's bite rather than being spurred by it.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:

Comedy is philosophy's dark, ugly twin, jarringly illustrating the worst in us, but unable to, on its own, provide a path to self-improvement, because all it can do is mock and jest. The comedian is adequate to shake a man from his complacency, but having been so shaken, he no longer has anything to gain from the comedian's services. Beyond that, there's a potential for dysfunction in comedy when it ceases to jar and instead soothes; when one listens to a comedy routine which lampoons one's deficiencies, and rather than feeling motivated to mend them, instead simply chuckles and nods along, knowing full well that he'll bear the same deficiencies next time he attends a comedy routine and being reconciled to that fact. When morphine is no longer used to temporarily kill pain while seeking medical care, but instead is used habitually, it is addiction. Likewise, our society seems to be addicted to comedy, having learned to enjoy the gadfly's bite rather than being spurred by it.

Whew, that is one hell of a philosophy you have mapped out there. I am a bit curious though. Have you watched any of this show yet? Not sure if you are making those comments based on your critique of the show, or just typical sit-coms in general. I am not disagreeing with your viewpoint. In fact, I agree with you. But it could be that the writer's of this show have some of your thoughts in mind. Some of the topics, thus far, are fairly edgy. Motivational - not so sure, but certainly conversation starting, which is a good start. I wouldn't describe this show as a comedy. It does have comedy in it, but it comes wrapped in some interesting forms of dialogue.
While there is little doubt that Swartz will mock the viewers inability to understand that a Judaized message is being planted into their psyche. Such is life. That being said, there may be those that find the show of interest enough, and having their own thoughts on the matter, feel motivated to share them with others in the spirit of expanding the conversation. I am not a big fan of Louis C.K., but he certainly does have talent, and so do those who are working with him on this.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
I am a bit curious though. Have you watched any of this show yet?

I have never seen this show. I simply suspect one cannot become a successful mass-media comedian in America without partaking in the promotion of the pathology.
banjois

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one doesn't. It actually takes the pathology head on. Worth a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: