Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming back- apostille for uni cert required?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Coming back- apostille for uni cert required? Reply with quote

I am returning to Korea after a gap of three years. My last stint was between 2010 and 2013, for which I of course provided an apostilled uni certificate.

My question is: do I need to get it apostilled again?

This website seems to suggest no: http://www.korea4expats.com/article-E2-English-teaching-visa-Korea.html . Specifically: "Since 2010, university diplomas require an apostille. This process can take some time, but the government has said it will only have to be done the one time. As a result of he new apostille requirement sealed transcripts were no longer required."

Maybe, I'm being a little optimistic to expect immigration authorities to still have my file on record. Indeed, come to think of it, maybe this only applies to those renewing their visa.

Does anyone have experience relevant to my situation?
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it states clearly here that we are not required to re-submit degree certificates:

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/150731%20VISA%20INSTRUCTION%20GUIDE%20(ENGLISH)[20151218173326683].pdf

"- If you have submitted a document confirmed by the institutes listed above in the past, then you are exempt from this requirement."

I want to believe it. Can anyone confirm based on experience?
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew.

Someone here does know but it seems nobody has an urge to be helpful on the matter.

Personally, it may not be worth the gamble to rely on that information.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

You can always look at the Korean Embassy's website in your home country. And study any information in detail. If in doubt call the embassy. If you're planning to teach in a public school or uni they may ask for more paperwork.
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.
NSMatt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted my local consulate in Montreal about this. Their first reply said that previous visa holders are required to submit all required documents each and every time they apply for a visa. I followed up with reference to the HiKorea KIS visa guidance paper above and they then stated that in their experience applicants had been re-submitting those documents but

"The visa confirmation number is eventually approved and given by the Korea Immigration Service. It is not up to the consulate to decide whether you need to provide those documents or not. "

So their concern is whether applications have a valid visa issuance confirmation number, not the documents required to apply for one.

I have filed an 'E-People' petition for clarification. Perhaps someone living in country could call the Immigration Contact Centre hotline (1345) to get a direct answer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: