Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers attend 'white privilege' conference
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swartz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
There are some legitimate topics there such as (American Islamophobia), but this should not at all be restricted to whites. The inability of so-called "SJWs" to grapple with discrimination and prejudice from non-whites continues to undermine the "White Privilege" frame.

As for the bolded sentence, that was definitely the worst.

It is too bad, though, that the Current Events board has become so inundated with the Alt Right agendas that we feel the need to virtue signal that we are not identitarians ourselves (a double irony given that Alt Righters are strident identitarians of their own).

I wonder how many times I'm going to use a term I guarantee you've never heard before, only to see you turn around and start using it in a way that indicates to others that you know what you're talking about. This is why you're a fraud and why you felt the need to wander over here to make this pathetic butthurt appeal. Kuros is the epitome of the stooge SJW who is pushing this kind of nonsense on others, but missy only does this because she isn't smart enough to realize who her opinions actually belong to.

Bigverne is correct about who is pushing the White privilege meme:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CX-iUOuWMAIN4pn.jpg

It's no secret and you don't have to look very hard to figure it out. Also, since bigverne mentioned Noel “abolish the White race” Ignatiev, read some of his quotes yourself, but understand he's far from alone. This is par for the course with regard to Jewish antipathy towards Whites.

http://www.azquotes.com/author/33287-Noel_Ignatiev

They aren't like you, and they don't like you. They hate White people and try to provoke other groups to attack White people, but so-called “White privilege” is just one aspect of that. Check out the Forbes list, nearly half of the world's billionaires are Jewish, yet Jews are a minuscule fraction of the world's population. Jewish privilege is the problem, not White privilege, but you're told to think otherwise because they control Western media and outlaw any criticism of themselves.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodanole wrote:
An activist perspective about teaching in the hood ...
( I personally wouldn't do it )

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2016/04/20/a-black-professor-offers-advice-for-white-folks-who-teach-in-the-hood/

Many of the comments are accusing this fellow of racism. I don't see anything racist in which he has written; racism is an ideology that combines race essentialism with notions of supremacy, and neither seem present in his words. Rather, he has observed a genuine cultural and behavioral difference in a specific body of students, and wants to give advice to people from another culture on how to better educate them. That's perfectly fine. To the extent that there's something troubling in his ideas, it's this:

Quote:
I’m not against white teachers. I’m not against white people. In fact, I’d make the argument if we don’t have white folks teaching in the hood we’re screwed — who’s going to teach?

If he, and presumably other African American adults, feel European American educators are doing an inadequate job teaching their children, then the first and most obvious answer would be for African American adults to rise to the challenge and take more responsibility with regards to their education. After all, they are the ones best positioned to do so culturally, right? But he seems to dismiss that as impossible, and moreover, does so after he himself abandoned work as a middle school teacher in favor of something more comfortable. And he's not alone in this regard: "minority" (read: African American and Latino American) teachers quit at a greater rate than their European American peers.

Quote:
In each of the nine cities studied, the share of black teachers in the workforce declined, at rates from the very small to the quite large—from roughly 1 percent in Boston's charter sector and Cleveland's district sector, to more than 24 percent in New Orleans and nearly 28 percent in Washington, D.C. Losses in the population of black teachers were even greater, ranging from a low of 15 percent in New York City to a high of 62 percent in New Orleans.

The study also found that minority groups are still largely underrepresented in those cities, especially African Americans and Hispanics. Across the cities, Black and Hispanic teachers taught in schools with at least modestly higher concentrations of low income and minority students.

"Minority teachers are disproportionately employed in predominantly urban, predominantly poor, and predominantly high minority schools," Ingersoll said. "But such schools are not as attractive workplaces… and because minority teachers are the ones teaching at these schools, they have higher quit rates."

Yes, a European American who is in a position teaching "in the hood" would be well advised to try to understand their students to the extent possible in order to do the best job possible, but should they have to be there in the first place? The professor in question said, "I’ve gone to classes and seen kids and they see another brown face in a position of authority, and they are like save me – get me out of here." If that's really how he feels, perhaps it would have been more productive to have addressed his book at other African Americans instead, encouraging more of them to become and remain educators? If he doesn't want his "neoindigenous" people to be "assimilated," then the only real possibility in the long term is for said people to step up and take greater responsibility for their communites.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swartz wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
There are some legitimate topics there such as (American Islamophobia), but this should not at all be restricted to whites. The inability of so-called "SJWs" to grapple with discrimination and prejudice from non-whites continues to undermine the "White Privilege" frame.

As for the bolded sentence, that was definitely the worst.

It is too bad, though, that the Current Events board has become so inundated with the Alt Right agendas that we feel the need to virtue signal that we are not identitarians ourselves (a double irony given that Alt Righters are strident identitarians of their own).

I wonder how many times I'm going to use a term I guarantee you've never heard before, only to see you turn around and start using it in a way that indicates to others that you know what you're talking about.

Yes, I do know what I am talking about. As a rule, I do not go around on the internet stalking usernames and calling them (or insinuating they are) girls.

Edwardflatcap,

The Bamboo Ceiling refers to more than simply top executives at Fortune 500 companies. It can refer to the idea that Asian-Americans commonly need more educational qualifications for the same position.

None of that was my point, however. You were using the success of the model minority to deflect from real institutional barriers for members of other races. Even the model minority experiences serious institutional barriers.
Swartz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
Yes, I do know what I am talking about.

No, you don't. You're a self-hating White person who uses the language of an establishment you pretend to disapprove of to reinforce its values. Now you're using words you pick up from me, then look up on wikipedia, for the exact same purpose. You're the opposite of someone who knows what they're talking about, you're a pseudo-intellectual fraud, and you refuse to learn when your viewpoints and ideology crumble after being put up against reality. Now you're over here whining about it and expecting others to take you seriously?

Plain Meaning wrote:
calling them (or insinuating they are) girls.

I stated that you were a low-T dud, you insinuated that you were a female. I actually thought that was true, so is there something you wanted to clear up? Perhaps a third option, where the middle ground you find yourself in inclines you to see yourself as something more fluid?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Bamboo Ceiling refers to more than simply top executives at Fortune 500 companies. It can refer to the idea that Asian-Americans commonly need more educational qualifications for the same position.

Well the article and interview you linked to were about leadership positions and both referred to CEO positions at fortune companies. If it's not about that it shouldn't really be called a 'ceiling' should it. As a 'ceiling', I assume, refers to something at the top. Why don't you link to an article that makes your point?
catman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:

I knew the resident white nationalists would find this thread eventually.
Oldtimer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP article offers a vivid demonstration that a great many teachers in state schools should be dismissed with immediate effect. Well, I knew that already, but incontrovertible proof is always nice. Quite a similar thing occurred in the UK recently:

Quote:
Teachers are right to reject a counter-radicalisation strategy that frames terrorism as a Muslim problem and demonises an entire community

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/04/prevent-hate-muslims-schools-terrorism-teachers-reject

In other words, the government simply wants to identify schoolchildren who show signs of radicalization, but the National Union of Teachers objects to it, because it's wacist.

These neo-Marxist "teachers" have a terrible effect on youth: crippling their intellects, often permanently, rendering them useless to society. A sensible place to begin would be to give every teacher in state schools a political survey; those with the smallest number of neo-Marxist answers are permitted to keep their jobs. Those with the most are relieved of their duties and put under 24-hour surveillance. In extreme cases, psychiatric support in secure facilities will be necessary.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Well the article and interview you linked to were about leadership positions and both referred to CEO positions at fortune companies. If it's not about that it shouldn't really be called a 'ceiling' should it. As a 'ceiling', I assume, refers to something at the top. Why don't you link to an article that makes your point?

*sigh*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_ceiling

Quote:
The term "bamboo ceiling" was coined by Jane Hyun in her book focusing on Asians in the workplace, Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling: Career Strategies for Asians. It is defined as a combination of individual, cultural, and organisational factors that impede Asian Americans’ career progress inside organizations. Since then, a variety of sectors (including nonprofits, universities, the government) have discussed the impact of the ceiling as it relates to people of Asian descent and the challenges they face . . .

The term is a derivative of the glass ceiling, which refers to the more general metaphor used to describe invisible barriers through which women and minorities can see managerial positions, but cannot reach them.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

*sigh*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_ceiling

Quote:
The term "bamboo ceiling" was coined by Jane Hyun in her book focusing on Asians in the workplace, Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling: Career Strategies for Asians. It is defined as a combination of individual, cultural, and organisational factors that impede Asian Americans’ career progress inside organizations. Since then, a variety of sectors (including nonprofits, universities, the government) have discussed the impact of the ceiling as it relates to people of Asian descent and the challenges they face . . .

The term is a derivative of the glass ceiling, which refers to the more general metaphor used to describe invisible barriers through which women and minorities can see managerial positions, but cannot reach them.

Relax, I'm not trying to prove you wrong about anything. My point was, glass or other ceilings are often used to refer to top positions. Wikipedia just refers to 'managerial positions' but there are fairly obviously lots of women in middle management positions for example, which is why when women complain about the glass ceiling they usually talk abut percentages of politicians, board members or people who manage companies. Not just departments. I was wondering if this was the same for Asian people. I guess there must be a lot of Asians in middle management positions if their average income is so high.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swartz wrote:

Plain Meaning wrote:

I stated that you were a low-T dud, you insinuated that you were a female. I actually thought that was true, so is there something you wanted to clear up? Perhaps a third option, where the middle ground you find yourself in inclines you to see yourself as something more fluid?

I insinuated that testosterone or sex does not matter when it comes to the exchange of ideas: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=236996&start=7

You are on the same level as the most rabid black campus activist. All you can see is racial identity or sex or sexual orientation. This is the internet, you can never know who is posting what.

Your entire worldview is a fallacy.
Swartz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
Swartz wrote:

Plain Meaning wrote:

I insinuated that testosterone or sex does not matter when it comes to the exchange of ideas: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=236996&start=7

You are on the same level as the most rabid black campus activist. All you can see is racial identity or sex or sexual orientation. This is the internet, you can never know who is posting what.

Your entire worldview is a fallacy.

Liberalism, and your gullible take on the modern version of it especially, is the only fallacy in question. But seriously, you're linking something like that then acting surprised when people think you're a girl?

You insinuated that you were a woman, Kuros. And I didn't necessarily believe that was untrue, because as I have been pointing out for some time now, it's quite clear you have high estrogen levels and do not think like a man.

It's not very difficult to figure out the demographic of a poster on the internet. In your case, either way, I was spot on about your testosterone deficiency. For a male to hold your views it's a requirement that they be mentally fragile and docile. That's why your perspective is so easy to mold around the latest fictional narrative.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:

I have noticed almost all of the Alt Rightists are atheists.
yodanole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The over/under on this ending well

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-aide-arrested-fight-student-231025064.html
Swartz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
catman wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:

Is that what you've noticed about “alt rightists”? That almost all of them are atheists? Interesting. I'm not an “alt rightist” and I've never claimed to be one, but from my exposure to them (which, needless to say, is a lot more than yours), I've noticed that they are overwhelmingly Catholic. As usual, you couldn't be more wrong.

So here it is with a cute little bow on it – Kuros doing exactly what I said he was doing in the first sentence of my first reply: not knowing what he's talking about. This middle gender ground individual is a liar and a fraud who can't even be honest with himself. His opinions are mired in delusion. In the other forum, instead of learning from his mistakes, he routinely makes himself look like a fool; so he came here to whine about it, only to end up looking like a fool once again. This is not a person whose statements should be taken seriously.
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swartz wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
catman wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:

Is that what you've noticed about “alt rightists”? That almost all of them are atheists? Interesting. I'm not an “alt rightist” and I've never claimed to be one, but from my exposure to them (which, needless to say, is a lot more than yours), I've noticed that they are overwhelmingly Catholic. As usual, you couldn't be more wrong.

So here it is with a cute little bow on it – Kuros doing exactly what I said he was doing in the first sentence of my first reply: not knowing what he's talking about. This middle gender ground individual is a liar and a fraud who can't even be honest with himself. His opinions are mired in delusion. In the other forum, instead of learning from his mistakes, he routinely makes himself look like a fool; so he came here to whine about it, only to end up looking like a fool once again. This is not a person whose statements should be taken seriously.

Why waste the English language on PMS?

We all get it wrong from time to time (I know), but, she is simply not worth the attention, much less able to even define the differences of the theatrical "left" and "right".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: