Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New London Mayor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Political dialogue is still very possible, but hard to do online I think.

Perhaps I was unclear. The political dialogue I was referring to was national discourse in which we, as a people, reason together about the best path for our society to take and then follow that path, not merely "dialogue about politics," which is an interesting intellectual exercise, but has minimal bearing on actual political outcomes. Though beyond that, the dysfunction of political discourse in broader society does filter down into individual conduct as well, which is precisely why it's so evident in places like the Internet, where worries about social repercussions are not effective at forcing people to hide their real thoughts and feelings.

The Constitution of the United States of America currently has 27 amendments. It's hard to imagine another one being passed today, and to be honest, it's even harder to imagine that anything which could be successfully passed in such a toxic atmosphere could be a beneficial thing for the country in the long term.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swartz wrote:
Leon wrote:
[Its become something of a bad habit.

You have a lot of maturing to do, Leon. Like most who have been programmed by the left, you exist in a state of arrested development, and that is partly why your responses consistently lack topical value, substance, and general correctness (assuming you were able to get your point across in a coherent manner to begin with). Labeling me an ideologue and playing off your childish interjections as some kind of personal 'anthropological interest' won't fool as many as you think, nor will your bizarre critique of others' communication styles when your own is so transparently inadequate. Stop the constant social signaling, stop replying when you have nothing to say, focus on improving yourself instead of vying for the attention of others, and start acting like a man instead of a catty little girl.

I bet if you tried you could have said all that more effectively in two lines. Perhaps take your own advice, as stated above. Again, the lack of self awareness is what keeps this interesting to me.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Leon wrote:
Political dialogue is still very possible, but hard to do online I think.

Perhaps I was unclear. The political dialogue I was referring to was national discourse in which we, as a people, reason together about the best path for our society to take and then follow that path, not merely "dialogue about politics," which is an interesting intellectual exercise, but has minimal bearing on actual political outcomes. Though beyond that, the dysfunction of political discourse in broader society does filter down into individual conduct as well, which is precisely why it's so evident in places like the Internet, where worries about social repercussions are not effective at forcing people to hide their real thoughts and feelings.

The Constitution of the United States of America currently has 27 amendments. It's hard to imagine another one being passed today, and to be honest, it's even harder to imagine that anything which could be successfully passed in such a toxic atmosphere could be a beneficial thing for the country in the long term.

We (the US) are getting out of a bad recession, and have been at war for more than half my life. It's not a great time, but that doesn't mean that it won't pass. The more insecure the population feels the worse the political outcomes, the more you have Trump or Duerte in the Philipines or others of their ilk.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

We (the US) are getting out of a bad recession, and have been at war for more than half my life. It's not a great time, but that doesn't mean that it won't pass.

Sure, things change. Someone's cancer might just inexplicably go into remission, too. Alternatively, the change in question may be a massive exacerbation of the problem, even to the point of death.

Leon wrote:
The more insecure the population feels the worse the political outcomes, the more you have Trump or Duerte in the Philipines or others of their ilk.

Which is why it was supremely foolish for the people in power to pursue a set of policies which could not fail to make the populace feel increasingly insecure. To be frank, your own position of, 'Mass immigration is less of a problem than the foolish peasants who dare to be concerned about mass immigration,' is part of what makes the populace feel insecure. That way you casually dismiss certain parties here who dare to have unorthodox views? That's exactly the attitude the government as a whole has taken towards the populace, and yes, eventually the populace beings to look at a possibility like Trump and think about the matter exactly as Jim Webb expressed it: "If you're voting for Donald Trump, you may get something very good or very bad." You see the same thing in Europe, where the government is using the police to crack down on protesters and trying (with some success) to enlist major companies to censor express of dissent. Yes, perhaps this will all pass, but if it passes, it will be precisely because the people upon whom you more or less spit, and with whom you have repeatedly insisted you have little to nothing in common in terms of interests, values, or identity, manage to win against that "establishment" of which you have several times declared yourself a part.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Leon wrote:

We (the US) are getting out of a bad recession, and have been at war for more than half my life. It's not a great time, but that doesn't mean that it won't pass.

Sure, things change. Someone's cancer might just inexplicably go into remission, too. Alternatively, the change in question may be a massive exacerbation of the problem, even to the point of death.

Leon wrote:
The more insecure the population feels the worse the political outcomes, the more you have Trump or Duerte in the Philipines or others of their ilk.

Which is why it was supremely foolish for the people in power to pursue a set of policies which could not fail to make the populace feel increasingly insecure. To be frank, your own position of, 'Mass immigration is less of a problem than the foolish peasants who dare to be concerned about mass immigration,' is part of what makes the populace feel insecure. That way you casually dismiss certain parties here who dare to have unorthodox views? That's exactly the attitude the government as a whole has taken towards the populace, and yes, eventually the populace beings to look at a possibility like Trump and think about the matter exactly as Jim Webb expressed it: "If you're voting for Donald Trump, you may get something very good or very bad." You see the same thing in Europe, where the government is using the police to crack down on protesters and trying (with some success) to enlist major companies to censor express of dissent. Yes, perhaps this will all pass, but if it passes, it will be precisely because the people upon whom you more or less spit, and with whom you have repeatedly insisted you have little to nothing in common in terms of interests, values, or identity, manage to win against that "establishment" of which you have several times declared yourself a part.

If I've dismissed anyone here, it is because their views are unorthodox, but because of how they present the views, and their absolute certainty in them. I think it is reasonable to say that in the us (not Europe) the reaction to immigration is a bigger issue than immigration itself, meaning that finding the cheapest source of labor is logical if you follow the capitalism we've been told is as American as apple pie for decades, and many who support Trump now would defend the idea of free markets without understanding the contradiction.

As to the last point, I doubt it. Something will break, things will shift and change at the top, but the lines will remain, for better or worse.
Swartz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
the lack of self awareness is what keeps this interesting to me.

I get the feeling that you don't even process your own words or reflect upon your own commentary. That's unfortunate for others since, if you were able to do that, you might get to the root of why you often have trouble making coherent statements or simply understanding the most important aspects of a particular issue. I mean, half of my shtick is self-awareness and promoting self-awareness of ethnic identity among other Whites like yourself. If anything, I'm hyper self-aware compared to someone like you. But you don't even seem to pick up on that, you just roll with a label that doesn't make sense because you aren't really thinking about what you're saying.

Fox provided you with a very objective breakdown right above, but I didn't get the sense that you thought about what he said for more than 2 seconds before spouting off in several random directions and making some ambiguous closing statement. It reminded me of a couple months ago when he was going back and forth with you about Libya. I meant to say something because it was a brilliant, one-sided massacre of your ridiculous and uneducated point of view, but mainly because of how apparent it was that you weren't listening or paying attention at all. You tried to downplay your ignorance as a “difference of opinion” or some “agree to disagree” bullshit, when from any sane perspective you were taken to town and exposed as someone utterly incapable of acknowledging how oblivious they were. That's your liberal delusion at work.

But Fox also has a lot more patience than I do. I'm just going to call you an idiot and explain why that's the case. In yours, it's that you believe that truth is subjective and opinions are egalitarian—when it's not and they aren't. You also have Scandinavian cuck genes that make you deferential to the highest authority. And given who's in charge of that megaphone, the profound ignorance you often display, clearly also a side-effect of being a proud lackey, becomes less surprising.

It's you who lacks awareness, Leon. And it's you who is the ideologue. You don't know who you are because you don't know where you came from. You don't think it's important and you're happy to part with it, along with whatever self-awareness you might gain from exploring it, because you have an ideology to replace it and can't see who benefited from making you think the way you do. But you're going to stay that way because that ideology is the ideology of children who never learn how to become men.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swartz, the truth is far from subjective, and you calling me an idiot is objectively funny. You calling me uneducated, or immature, etc. is objectively funny, as is your claim that I am the ideologue and not you. The idea that you think your commentary is brilliant coupled with your claim of hyper self awareness is objectively funny as well.

Also, my god man, writing essays on this stuff and attacking others manliness is not a good look. How long did it take to write?
Swartz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Swartz, the truth is far from subjective, and you calling me an idiot is objectively funny. You calling me uneducated, or immature, etc. is objectively funny, as is your claim that I am the ideologue and not you. The idea that you think your commentary is brilliant coupled with your claim of hyper self awareness is objectively funny as well.

Also, my god man, writing essays on this stuff and attacking others manliness is not a good look. How long did it take to write?

And you sputter right back into it as expected, because you don't know any better. You deflect and deflect more instead of learning from your mistakes and making an effort to improve yourself. That's why you will remain ignorant about issues and cognitively underdeveloped as a man.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39361079

Quote:
Donald Trump Jr tweeted an article written last year, in which Sadiq Khan said terror vigilance had become "part and parcel" of life in a global city.

"You have to be kidding me?!" said Mr Trump, immediately sparking accusations that he was exploiting the tragedy and misrepresenting the mayor's point.

Dozens were hurt in the London attack.

The assailant drove a car through pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and then fatally knifed a police officer who tried to stop him entering the Houses of Parliament. He was then shot dead.

Two hours later, Mr Trump tweeted an article from the Independent newspaper in September 2016.

[bold additions are mine]

Donald Trump Jr is such a ishtheel.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/06/two-london-mayors-called-trumps-muslim-ban-ignorant-attacking-one/

Quote:
Trump alienated both the current and former mayors of London on December 7, 2015, when the then-candidate for the presidency demanded, “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States, until our country’s representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.”

“Donald Trump is clearly out of his mind,” Johnson said two days later, “if he thinks that’s a sensible way to proceed, you can’t ban people going to the United States in that way, or indeed to any country.”
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London Mayor Approves Angry 'Trump Baby' Blimp To Fly During President's Visit

Quote:
The blimp, dubbed “Trump Baby,” was approved by none other than London Mayor Sadiq Khan himself after a crowdsourcing campaign amassed over $20,000 and 10,000 signatures in favor of the stunt.

Set to fly above Parliament Square Gardens between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. [on July 13], coinciding with a “Stop Trump” march held in the city center, the balloon is required to hover a maximum of 98 feet above ground, tethered by a rope.

Odd.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's freedom of speech, a concept I whole heartedly support. Could you imagine not being allowed to lampoon somebody as politically prominent as Trump, the president of the USA?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: