Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting job as Canadian Diploma graduate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king-nex

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Getting job as Canadian Diploma graduate Reply with quote

Hi I am recent graduate from Canadian College and wishing to get a teaching job in Korea. I was born in Korea so I got F-4 VISA to work there but there are lots of placements looking for people with BA and I'm just having bloody difficult time finding a job in Korea.

Can any one recommend me a place in Busan or Gumi that accepts Diploma graduates?

I'm hoping to stay in Korea for 5-6 years and I wonder if I do to get a job for a year in Korea by the time contract ends will I be able work in different private academy or public school since I have experience teaching in Korea or will they just look at me as someone without BA?

My college is becoming university and my other option is to transfer to that program and do a year then get a BA but I really don't want to do that since I spent 6 years in school...

Can anyone give me an advice?
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) It helps if you have native speaker fluency if you want to teach English, but I've known Koreans who've made more mistakes and done quite well teaching at institutes.

2) You could teach with your diploma here because you have the F4. Will someone hire you over someone with a BA (3 or 4 year variety)? That remains to be seen. Wouldn't count on it.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you'll be in school to finish the BA if you're serious about doing some teaching here over the longer term.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Getting job as Canadian Diploma graduate Reply with quote

king-nex wrote:
Hi I am recent graduate from Canadian College and wishing to get a teaching job in Korea. I was born in Korea so I got F-4 VISA to work there but there are lots of placements looking for people with BA and I'm just having bloody difficult time finding a job in Korea.

Can any one recommend me a place in Busan or Gumi that accepts Diploma graduates?

I'm hoping to stay in Korea for 5-6 years and I wonder if I do to get a job for a year in Korea by the time contract ends will I be able work in different private academy or public school since I have experience teaching in Korea or will they just look at me as someone without BA?

My college is becoming university and my other option is to transfer to that program and do a year then get a BA but I really don't want to do that since I spent 6 years in school...

Can anyone give me an advice?

There are several issues, some for and some against you.

LEGALLY you need a degree to teach (hagwons or PS positions). You have to be able to get registered, by your employer, at the local MOE office.

Your diploma makes that not possible.

If your credentials were authenticated before you left Canada then TALK is an option: http://www.talk.go.kr but you won't be working in or near Seoul.

If you do not have an authenticated police check then teaching is not an option anyway.

All of that said, there are a fair few places that will hire you on an F4 simply because they know you are desperate (so they can lowball the wages) regardless of your degree and police check.

It is simply a matter of banging on doors till someone who "needs a teacher now" sees your resume and hires you for his ASAP position.
There is no "long term" in this option since you will be an illegal, unregistered, teacher. They will fire you when the first qualified candidate walks through their door.

Alternatively, you could cobble together enough stuff off of places like craiglist to keep you going since the visa isn't an issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: