Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a K GF
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Getting a K GF Reply with quote

Is it as easy to get a K gf as it is to get one in Thailand? I'm 40 something and I'd like to date a 25-36 yo K. Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not as easy, but on the other hand a Korean girl probably won't be asking you to send money for the sick buffalo in her village, pay for her to do a college course or buy a house in her name. Laughing
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh you're right there. LOL. I might even go for a K wife so I can get an F-Visa. Very Happy But can you get a mortgage in Korea if you're married? How much are the cheapest apartments in a cheap city?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a discussion about it here

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=224772
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's Jonsei? I notice one foreign teacher got an apartment with 28m won deposit which is just £16700. In England you need more than that I think, 40% or so of the purchase price unless mortgages are back to 10% deposits. House prices in England are around 150k-200k for a 3 bed semi in a cheaper area. Down south they cost more than this 300k +

So how much are apartment orhouses to buy then in Korea outside of seoul?
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jut checked one website and apartments and villas are coming up from $800k to $2000,000 or more. Why so expensive? That's like London or New York prices.

I did see this cheap one for $236000
http://www.acerealty.kr/iestate/view.php
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
what's Jonsei? I notice one foreign teacher got an apartment with 28m won deposit which is just £16700. In England you need more than that I think, 40% or so of the purchase price unless mortgages are back to 10% deposits. House prices in England are around 150k-200k for a 3 bed semi in a cheaper area. Down south they cost more than this 300k +

So how much are apartment or houses to buy then in Korea outside of Seoul?

Jonsei is your RENTAL deposit. You may take a Jonsei loan (like a mortgage) but you don't own the apartment. The monthly rent will depend on the amount of Jonsei you have. Often the rent can be as low as "0" other than your utility and other apartment costs.

Deposits that are high enough to cover 100% of rent will often run into the hundreds of millions of won.

Lower deposits with regular rent are usually referred to as Wolsei.

Purchase of an apartment will run from 300-500k pounds. Purchase of a house (on private land) will be even higher.

greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so high to buy an apartment? Cant you get one for £100k? That jonsei is mental if that's how much it costs for zero rent...but then it's like you bought the place.
greyhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how can anyone afford to buy an apartment for 300K pounds on a EFL salary?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
and how can anyone afford to buy an apartment for 300K pounds on a EFL salary?

Judging by your first two posts in this thread, I'm thinking you won't have to worry about that.
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, you've lost me there. Care to exemplify? By the way, I looked at korean banks to enquire about mortgages but the only one I can find citibank korea, says for korean nationals only. The other banks, I can't see their loans on their websites. You can't email them either.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Why so high to buy an apartment? Cant you get one for £100k? That jonsei is mental if that's how much it costs for zero rent...but then it's like you bought the place.

The cheapest apartments in my neighborhood cost around 450 million won. These are the older and need painting apartments. The serfs live here. The average nice apartments begin around 600 million won. The common people live here. I'm a commoner. The newer upscale apartments begin around 900 million won. The own a Benz, or 2, and wife plays golf people live here.

Last edited by tophatcat on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Coltronator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can find apartments for 70k pounds. Those will be in either a row house or small villa and about 17-20 py. in a non prime area. Non prime area 40 py. Apartment will run 250k to 350k. Prime area you are looking at near 700k.
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Yes, you can find apartments for 70k pounds. Those will be in either a row house or small villa and about 17-20 py. in a non prime area. Non prime area 40 py. Apartment will run 250k to 350k. Prime area you are looking at near 700k.
So 2.3m won per month would be enough salary to purchase a £70k apartment with say a deposit of £20k and a mortgage of £50k? Why so much for the other apartments? newer style for example. Why can't you get a new apartment for £150k outside Seoul?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Sorry, you've lost me there. Care to exemplify? By the way, I looked at korean banks to enquire about mortgages but the only one I can find citibank korea, says for korean nationals only. The other banks, I can't see their loans on their websites. You can't email them either.

South Korea's not Thailand. Announcing that you're looking for women in a particular age-range younger than you might not be the best way of finding a companion, especially as the "target population" likely no longer see connecting with a foreigner as a ticket out of poverty--Korea's no longer poor. Also, there are plenty of prejudices against foreigners, especially foreign teachers, in Korea; one of those, to put it bluntly, is that we're all on the make to bang Korean girls and leave them. Instead of "looking for X-woman (sorry, didn't mean to go DC Comics, or is it Marvel, there) in age range Y-Z", try meeting people--especially female people!--and then see what develops if there's a mutual attraction. Places where you meet people include clubs, sporting events, gyms, libraries, church (if you attend any denomination), different hobbyist events, etc.

As far as mortgaging goes, that's a credit issue. This brings up another instance where Korean society isn't like back in our home countries. Creditors in Korea tend to dismiss the idea of extending credit of any sort to foreigners because of the widespread belief that we foreigners will abscond without repaying the loan. Of course, it is possible to find some outfit to extend a mortgaged; however, that is very unlikely on anything other than a long-term (family) visa or after naturalization (which takes quite some time, and you'll still be seen as a foreigner).

Last edited by CentralCali on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: