Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a K GF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age range of the GF I would be looking for is just my own personal requisite. I don't want anyone with 2 kids already grown up thanks! I know where to meet people as I'm 40 somat. Thanks for your advice though. About the mortgages. If you abscond from paying a mortgage, the bank takes back the apartment and sells it. So, I can't see the problem there. That's standard anywhere in the world. If you're married to a Korean, I guess the banks may offer you a mortgage more easily. I won't know though till I get there and find out. ANyway, points taken.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
The age range of the GF I would be looking for is just my own personal requisite. I don't want anyone with 2 kids already grown up thanks! I know where to meet people as I'm 40 somat. Thanks for your advice though. About the mortgages. If you abscond from paying a mortgage, the bank takes back the apartment and sells it. So, I can't see the problem there. That's standard anywhere in the world. If you're married to a Korean, I guess the banks may offer you a mortgage more easily. I won't know though till I get there and find out. ANyway, points taken.

With the way Korean society has been going, as far as having children is concerned, you won't have to worry too much about someone that young having two kids. Heck, you won't have to worry too much about someone in her 40s having two kids. Korea's been hit with the "aging population syndrome" too.

I'm with you about the mortgage. That's sheer stupidity on the banks' part. It's not like you're buying a 70-story apartment building and hoping to rent out the units to cover your initial investment. You're looking for one home and, unlike the people the banks actually do extend credit to, you're going to have a steady income. Sheer stupidity on their part!

Getting housing in Korea is a weird animal. Sometimes you fork over an incredible amount of money so you can live in a place for a few years either rent-free or at a ridiculously low rate, and then when you move out, you get your "key money" back--if the housing owner didn't abscond with it. Then there are regular rentals, condominiums you can purchase, and, of course, houses you can either rent or purchase. Provided you're Korean and Korean-looking. It's similar, but more complicated, for foreigners.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a loan you would have to be married. My wife and I had 10mil in cash, 50 mil borrowed from her parents, 10 mil borrowed from her company and 40 mil from the bank. The Bank had to be argued with to convince them to add my Salary with my wife's to qualify for a loan higher than 25mil but we got a 40mil loan. I was never able to get a loan in Korea until I opened my business and had a full year's worth of business income history.

You are correct that outside Seoul, Busan, Ulsan, Daejeon, Daegu, Gwangju areas you can find new apartments for much less. When I said non prime I meant off the Subway line/not in a central location municipality wise.
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: 0H Reply with quote

How much did you pay for your apartment then? 110m? How come she got 10m loan from her company? Do companies give employees money then? 110m won is only £65000. That's cheap then for an apartment. where is it? do you have to be on a F visa to open a business account or can you open one on an E2 visa? Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyhound, you sound a lot like UKteacher on Waygook who was asking very similar questions to yours back in May. About young Korean GFs for 40 somethings and renting/buying houses.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a 20 py. Row house apartment. It was on the subway line which is why we bought it but it was near the perimeter of the subway system.

Not sure about the normality of the loan, but at her company many of her coworkers had some small loans.
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh I went on waygookin to ask some questions like those you mention Very Happy
Well by young gfs I mean like mid 20s to mid 30s. I'm late 40s but I don't want someone divorced with 2 kids. I'm thinking about getting a K wife and settling down with an F visa if I can so I'm free to work wherever I want. will see how it pans out. I'm prob a bit too old for mid 20s but 30 onwards should be ok.

If you can get an apartment, even an older style in Korea, for under £100k, it would help. I have my own house I share with my bro here in the UK and it's all paid off and stuff so I can start looking at getting another property, Trouble is the deposit. I only have about 5 grand saved up. prob need more like 10 or 15 grand for a deposit on 100K. i will have a chat to the bank manager when or if I get there.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
I jut checked one website and apartments and villas are coming up from $800k to $2000,000 or more. Why so expensive? That's like London or New York prices.

I did see this cheap one for $236000
http://www.acerealty.kr/iestate/view.php

I didn't see a buying price for this one, only a monthly rental price of $4,374.

Quote:
Well by young gfs I mean like mid 20s to mid 30s. I'm late 40s but I don't want someone divorced with 2 kids. I'm thinking about getting a K wife and settling down with an F visa if I can so I'm free to work wherever I want. will see how it pans out. I'm prob a bit too old for mid 20s but 30 onwards should be ok.

Just curious but why are you so stuck on Korea? There are a lot more interesting places to settle down. I assume from your age it's not the K pop and dramas.
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4k for rent is expensive man!

I don't know why I chose Korea. I just found a job that's all. I have a job offer in the UAE but it's still only 11000AED, and I'm not going there for that amount. I'd want 15000or more to go there again. I don't know if Korea is interesting or not. Where is there a more interesting place to settle down then? Thailand's interesting but unless you're at an international school, the pay sucks. That's my ultimate goal, is to get an IS job cos the pay is better and I have a PGCE too so I qualify for those positions. Actually I've had two skype interviews for IS, one in UAE and one in Saudi Arabia. I didn't get the one in UAE and I'm still waiting to hear back about the one in Saudi. Not an interesting place to settle down though!! Japan's ok, but you can't get free accommodation there and it#s expensive. Salaries are 250,000 to 300,000 yen at most and don't even talk about buying an apartment there. It's still doable though i suppose.

I actually just went for Korea cos you get a free flight, free accommodation and they were offering me the head teacher's position possibly with an increase in salary if they do. That's about the only reason really, plus I'm bored at home. I still don't know if I'll get a visa cos my uni had to write a letter to say my graduate diploma is equivalent to a bachelor's degree. I sent the letter with the diploma yesterday. It's a problem for china as the agencies all say I need a BA and don't seem to accept what I have. My graduate diploma is OK for Japan as I've worked
there two times. Immigration said they will have to see the diploma first before deciding if they offer me a visa. But now they've got the letter as well showing bachelor's degree status, I'm hoping it will pass.

That's about the only reasons I can give for wanting to go to Korea.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough I came here for a job too but I wasn't thinking about getting married or settling down here before I'd even arrived. Now I am here, married and settled down, I'm thinking of the earliest time I can leave and go and live elsewhere. Pretty much anywhere in Europe would be more interesting to me and a few countries in Asia. Of course nowhere in the ME.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany has lots of English jobs, mainly business English but it's mostly freelance. Or you could get another type of job in Germany if you can speak German being a native English speaker. I did A level German so I can speak it quite well. Berlitz have a contract on a freelance basis going at the moment and it's 2500-3000 euro achievable but I know Berlitz and they only pay you for the hours you do. They don't pay holiday pay or days when you don't work. Companies have a couple of months off during the summer so you don't get paid. it sounds alright but overall you're prob only working 9 months of the year. They don't pay flights or accommodation either. Most of Europe's like that. Paris also has lots of English jobs, but it's expensive to rent just a room there let alone an apartment. And Wall Street English full time contracts are an apallingly low 1500 euros gross per month cos I interviewed with them a couple of months back. They pay 1900euros for managers which is better. Those are about the only two countries in europe I know about. As for Asian countries, i think the best is vietnam where you can earn $20-$25 an hour. Or Korea is one of the best anyway. All teachers say they save in Korea. Myanmar is opening up and I've seen a couple of jobs there at reasonable salaries (1600-2000dollars) That's all I know about Asia and Japan obviously as I;ve been there.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
I still don't know if I'll get a visa cos my uni had to write a letter to say my graduate diploma is equivalent to a bachelor's degree. I sent the letter with the diploma yesterday. It's a problem for china as the agencies all say I need a BA and don't seem to accept what I have.

ASFAIK, Korea is the same regarding that qualification. They don't do equivalents.

Quote:
My graduate diploma is OK for Japan as I've worked
there two times. Immigration said they will have to see the diploma first before deciding if they offer me a visa. But now they've got the letter as well showing bachelor's degree status, I'm hoping it will pass.

Unless the situation has changed drastically and for the better in the last four years, even holding a doctorate without an actual bachelor's won't cut the mustard for Korea. I'm hoping that it has changed for the better and that you do get the visa. You should send a PM to ttompatz and ask his opinion; the man's very well informed regarding Korean immigration and other Korean legal issues affecting us foreigners.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyhound, those super expensive prices were probably in Gangnam, Seoul or Centum, Busan for 60+ py. apartments. Normal rent is about 800k won per month with a 25 mil deposit for a 35 py. apartment. Each 10 million won more deposit will drop rent by about 100k per month.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't hold a doctorate without having a bachelor's. How does that make sense? You have to have a bachelor's first. And if you read my post, I have a bachelor's degree equivalent. Immigration told me they will have to look at it first before deciding. if they don't accept it, I'm going to either do a 2 year BA or just buy one online for £200 with a UK uni and get a notary public who doesn't check properly to sign it. But in all honesty, I can't see why they wouldn't accept it now as they've got bachelor's degree staring them in the face. I'll know next week anyway if they accept it or not. They definitely accept it in Japan. Plus Japan immigration will have a record of my two visas I've had in the past, so if I can't get into Korea, I might go to Japan.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry what's ASFAIK? I don't know what you mean.

Renting an apartment isn't a problem for me at the moment as it's free accommodation. But those prices are quite a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: