Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian income tax in South Korea vs. Japan, China etc....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Canadian income tax in South Korea vs. Japan, China etc.... Reply with quote

When I taught in SK I never filed Canadian taxes because Canadians are not required.

Currently I am in China and I am considering Japan in the future.

I understand that China is the same deal as SK (Canadians don't need to file).

I was under the impression that Japan is the same but the JET program handbook advises Canadian to "file" taxes in Canada even thought they supposedly don't have to pay Canadian tax (because they already paid tax in Japan), huh????

My plan is to keep it business as usual and to not file when I head to Japan.

My best judgement tells me that who write the JET program handbook is playing it safe and that I am fine to not file.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian income tax in South Korea vs. Japan, China etc. Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:
When I taught in SK I never filed Canadian taxes because Canadians are not required.

Currently I am in China and I am considering Japan in the future.

I understand that China is the same deal as SK (Canadians don't need to file).

I was under the impression that Japan is the same but the JET program handbook advises Canadian to "file" taxes in Canada even thought they supposedly don't have to pay Canadian tax (because they already paid tax in Japan), huh????

My plan is to keep it business as usual and to not file when I head to Japan.

My best judgement tells me that who write the JET program handbook is playing it safe and that I am fine to not file.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance.

If you are in fact "non-resident" then you do NOT need to file taxes in Canada, ever, from anywhere (Canadian tax law).

IF you are deemed resident - significant ties to Canada, even though you are actually non-resident then you need to file.

The writer of the JET book probably assumed that Canadian tax law is like American tax law; where you are required to file annually, regardless of your residence just because you are American.

Canadian tax law is NOT like American. Feel free to ignore the JET handbook.

TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz is correct. I'd add that the government basically determines if you're a "deemed resident" and it can be kind of nebulous.

Merely living in another country and earning money there may not make you a non resident. The government generally views non resident as demonstrating clearly you don't plan to return to Canada, ever or maybe not in a long long time. The government determines this by things like having significant ties to Canada or assets in Canada.

Having significant ties or assets in Canada get you slotted into the "deemed resident" box and you owe taxes. Ties are things like dependents (wife/children) or you're renewing your driver's license, a license plate, your health card, etc. Assets are things like a home.

You can file this form with the government:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr73/nr73-12e.pdf

However, this is a voluntary form and some people suggest you don't fill it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/2a892f/necessary_to_fill_out_nr73_determination_of_non/
greyhound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK you are non-resident if you spend so many days outside of the UK, regardless of whether you have any ties back home like a home/wife etc. It goes on the number of days you're out of the country.

so you have to be careful not to have too many holidays at home as you could go over the limit of days allowed and then you become resident and have to file taxes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: