Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At which Year did you Officially BURN OUT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
The dancing monkey hokwans are going the way of the dodo bird.

English is in demand. There's plenty of work for those who know where to be.

Where might that be? I'm curious.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
The dancing monkey hokwans are going the way of the dodo bird.

English is in demand. There's plenty of work for those who know where to be.

Where might that be? I'm curious.

Small classes 3:1, 2:1, 1:1

Adults; Provide practical lessons that help them on their jobs

Test prep
Stain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dancing monkey hagwons are still there and still in demand for younger kids like kindergarten and elementary age children. However, once they reach middle school age, the dancing monkey becomes a computer game where each student has a turn to try and kill the monkey. Actually, this game is so popular that it has reached the interest of elementary school age students going so far back as second grade.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: At which Year did you Officially BURN OUT? Reply with quote

gongbuhae wrote:
For me it was cool, even doable for the first 5 years. Then year 6 hit me like a ton of bricks.
This. Agreed. "It's better to burn out than to fade away" according to Neil Young's acoustic "My My, Hey Hey" song lyrics. Def Leppard begins the song "Rock of Ages" by repeating the sentiment, "I got something to say / It's better to burn out / than fade away," and Kurt Cobain's suicide note ended similarly.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
The article says parents have lost confidence in English villages as a quick fix to improve their kids' English. Knowing a bit about Koreans this won't stop them from looking for a quick fix somewhere else. It's not necessarily a sign that Koreans have lost interest in learning English.

More Koreans are going to the Philippines to study. That's the main reason (besides the falling birthrate) those English villages are losing business and will thus be turned into science institutes. But also as a previous poster mentioned, less emphasis is being placed on English / more on science lately.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Personally there's more work around for me than there are hours in the day, all paid at premium rates. Especially if you convert it into pounds Laughing

Yeah, we get it. Because you got the F visa from marrying a Korean and because you have 30 years of EFL teaching experience (as well as investing a lot time and money into high level qualifications such as MATESOL and DELTA), you can do training jobs teaching Korean teachers how to teach English themselves so foreign teachers can be phased out. A lot of demand for that (in your case at least) these days. Does that really mean the overall demand for Western English teachers isn't shrinking, though? It looks like quite the opposite.

The British pound is sh*t, btw. Worst performing currency of 2016; at a 31 year low against the U.S. dollar. I guess that means a better exchange rate, though...not because the Korean won is doing well...but because the pound is doing even worse. A similar thing happened to Canadians. Weigookin74 rejoiced.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could and have done all, the jobs I do now on an E2visa. the only difference was I got less money and more benefits and hassle. A lot of the work I do now is straightforward TEFL with adult students, which shows no sign of declining. IELTS is also booming
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An F visa is more convenient for the employer. Less paperwork for them, and by not registering the employee (as they would have to do with an E2), they can evade taxes. An F visa means greater ease of hire and more money for the same work. As market tightens (meaning employers can be more selective) the F visa will become more and more of an advantage. It already has. But I see your point. I thought less adults than before were paying money to learn English. Is that not the case? So many adult teaching hagwons are losing money and going under is what I had been hearing. And high paying privates with adults much harder to find than before. IELTS testing is a good area to get into you think? I heard it was boring/soul destroying...but different strokes for different folks I guess. Pay is better than the norm at least.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Koreans are still interested in learning English. However, they are changing their locations of learning.

Koreans Get More Bang For Buck Learning English in Philippines
http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2015/02/27/koreans-seek-more-bang-for-their-buck-learning-english-in-the-philippines/
Shin Hyung-bo, who opened WALES in 2006, says some parents used to worry that their children would acquire Filipino accented English, but not anymore.
http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/philippines-attract-eanglish-learners-on-a-budget/2706062.html
There are more and more Koreans that are studying English in the Philippines. In 2004, there were about 5,700. . . The following year, it tripled to about 17,000, in 2012 it was about 24,000.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Koreans are still interested in learning English. However, they are changing their locations of learning.

http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2015/02/27/koreans-seek-more-bang-for-their-buck-learning-english-in-the-philippines/
Shin Hyung-bo, who opened WALES in 2006, says some parents used to worry that their children would acquire Filipino accented English, but not anymore.
http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/philippines-attract-eanglish-learners-on-a-budget/2706062.html
There are more and more Koreans that are studying English in the Philippines. In 2004, there were about 5,700. . . The following year, it tripled to about 17,000, in 2012 it was about 24,000.

17 year old Kang Tae-won studies English at a hagwan every night and says his future depends on it. But he still has to conduct the interview for the Wall Street Journal in Korean. Rolling Eyes
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting:
Average Korean child starts English studies at age 4.3
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20120207001023
...so I guess he's been studying English for about 12 years. That being said, learning a language is freaking hard. It takes a long time.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ESL market has adjusted negatively to the economic debacle that began the last decade. ESL teachers are still a dime a dozen and the ESL market is shifting to Filipinos and Indians etc.. Asians are caring less and less about positions being filled by native speakers. Do not go into ESL, and if you're already in it, get out.
gongbuhae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
The ESL market has adjusted negatively to the economic debacle that began the last decade. ESL teachers are still a dime a dozen and the ESL market is shifting to Filipinos and Indians etc.. Asians are caring less and less about positions being filled by native speakers. Do not go into ESL, and if you're already in it, get out.

lol that's a little reactionary.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Quote:
17 year old Kang Tae-won studies English at a hagwan every night and says his future depends on it. But he still has to conduct the interview for the Wall Street Journal in Korean. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
ESL teachers are still a dime a dozen and the ESL market is shifting to Filipinos and Indians etc.. Asians are caring less and less about positions being filled by native speakers.

Correct.

Lee Byung-min, an English education professor at Seoul National University, said that qualified non-native speakers with teaching licenses would be much better for Korean English education than native speakers without teaching licenses. ``We can also choose highly qualified non-native teachers at lower costs as their wages are relatively lower,'' Lee said.

Parents' groups also showed positive reaction to Asian English teachers. ``Korean English education has put too lopsided focus on American English so far and there have been many unqualified teachers at schools. We don't oppose English teachers from India or the Philippines as long as they are proven teachers,'' said Yoon Sook-ja, chairwoman of the National Association of Parents for True Education.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: