Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At which Year did you Officially BURN OUT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crescent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Korea for 14 years. Arrived before Dave's shed it's best posters and was rebranded into the stale, sanitary place it is today. I burned out after 6 years but tried to stick it out much longer, having a university post at a major school with 9 teaching hours per week, 4 month paid vacations, and a lucrative side contract contributing to, and editing all publications made by the City of Daegu. Even my first hakwon job was far above average in all respects. I was extremely fortunate all around. Great jobs, great contacts, great friends.

Lurking here now, I get a kick out of the lifers, repeating their mantra of the need to learn the language, or that the social dynamics are the same back home. Those statements, I'm afraid, pile up to be the dankest, rankest load of horse crap on this site.

I didn't begin to burn out UNTIL I learned the language.

When I started to understand what people were saying about me, and westerners in general as I rode buses, stood in lines and sat in public places, it was the beginning of the end. Then came the rise in income taxes, the aids paranoia, increasing and poorly executed regulations, the drug witch-hunts, the downsizing and the stagnating salaries.
And, then there was always the pollution, yellow dust, traffic, overcrowding and extreme humidity.

Leaving Korea was the best major decision we (my Korean wife and I) ever made. The thought of having our kids in the Korean school system made leaving even that much easier. Thankfully, after 4 years in Canada, my wife has continually expressed feeling far less social pressures and judgements, greater freedom, greater equality, more opportunity, and in general a far less stressful existence.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: At which Year did you Officially BURN OUT? Reply with quote

gongbuhae wrote:
For me it was cool, even doable for the first 5 years. Then year 6 hit me like a ton of bricks. I hate it now. Get me out of here.

I hate being misunderstood, the freaking noisy kids (so much louder then American kids and more rude), sick of straining to understand their Korean. I just hate teaching ESL now.

I posted on here already last year around the same time actually. You ARE right. I wasn't fully burned out last year, but just like you, once that 6th year came, I was done. I thought I could get into teaching, but I don't like it anymore. It's almost time to get out of here now though. Just counting down the days unless something drastic changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: