Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buying a place in philippines working in korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candy bar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of Koreans meet and marry through church. Give it a try. Tell the young ladies you like to play the organ and have lots of experience playing it. Let them know you are a real organ player. When you aren't playing it, you are thinking about it.
victorflood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candy bar wrote:
Lots of Koreans meet and marry through church. Give it a try. Tell the young ladies you like to play the organ and have lots of experience playing it. Let them know you are a real organ player. When you aren't playing it, you are thinking about it.

Do you use one hand or do you need both?
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. OP, sorry to say, but you don't have anywhere near enough coin to even bother thinking about buying a place...anywhere. At your age, and with only 3,500 GBP to your name, the prospects aren't bright for that changing anytime soon. Hate to pop your bubble, but, again, get over here first, then take it step by step. Once you have built up a decent amount of savings, THEN start looking if you're still interested. Try to save at least 10 million KW a year, and work from there, because if you do buy, you're going to be very, very house poor.

2. EVEN IF you DID buy a place in the Phillipines, which on a hagwon salary and given current ESL employment trends, wouldn't be a good move to begin with, you wouldn't be able to use the place outside of, say, maybe a week or two a year tops, and not in consecutive stints. As a hagwon worker, you get your 'vacation' when the rest of the hagwon, and by extention the rest of the country, gets theirs...in short spurts. The airfair flying back and forth that much alone, while not crushing, should be enough to further disuade you from buying.

3. If you had your MA and if you could get a university gig with fully paid summer and winter breaks (about 2 months a pop when all is said and done), it might be worth it IF you had the coin. Unless you get your MA, though, that isn't in the picture. A proper foreign school job might provide the time off to actually enjoy a vacation place.

4. Real estate agencies in Thailand will work with you to circumnavigate the residency requirement for condo/house purchases. While Ttompatz would know more about all this, there might be similar processes in place in the Philippines. Personally, I'd take Thailand any day.

5. In the future, please just make a new thread titled, 'OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD AT THIS VERY MOMENT'. Instead of creating a stream of new threads with hugely irrelevant questions or comments, just update your one thread with whatever else pops into your mind that you'd like to share.
greyhound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not something that just "pops into my head". I would really like to buy a cheap condo or house, but you need a wife for a house and one bank said you need a wife for a condo as well or dual citizenship. The Philippines are nearer to Korea than Thailand. I would prefer Thailand too but it look about 2 or 3 hours more flying time.

I don't have an MA you're right but I do have a PGCE (teacher's license) so I wonder if there are any proper international schools in Korea where you can make big coin (your word). Or are they all cheap skate paying internationals in Korea? I don't know!

I have 3500GBP and struggling to hold onto it at the moment till I start work but I am thinking about my cousin/godparent who is well off helping me. It's a big thing to ask her as she doesn't help out too often. I think I will just forget about buying at the moment though like you said, save 10m won first.

Lastly, I hope this hagwon is going to last!I don't want to be messed around.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
It's not something that just "pops into my head". I would really like to buy a cheap condo or house, but you need a wife for a house and one bank said you need a wife for a condo as well or dual citizenship. The Philippines are nearer to Korea than Thailand. I would prefer Thailand too but it look about 2 or 3 hours more flying time.

You're looking on at least a ten-year residence actually in the Republic of the Philippines to get naturalized. What they're talking about for dual nationality is someone who is originally a Philippine citizen and who gained citizenship in another country after the latest Republic Act regarding acquisition, retention, and loss of Philippine nationality came into effect. Here is some good information on dual nationality for Philippine citizens. Note that marrying a citizen of the Philippines does not confer citizenship to the non-citizen spouse. Note also that "I'm a horn dog who thinks it's easier to get a Filipina girlfriend than a Thai girlfriend" just might run afoul of the whole "good moral character" bit in the naturalization law. Of course, fraudulent marriages run afoul of the law, too.

Seriously, greyhound; have you ever considered how you're making yourself and other NETs look with what you've been posting here?

Last edited by CentralCali on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
greyhound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? I didn't say I wanted a Filipino wife. The bank said it. Lots of westerners marry Filipinos anyway and Thais. I also didn't discriminate between Filipinos and Thais. You're trying to make me look like someone I'm not. FYI: I'd prefer to just buy my own condo by myself.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
You can get a wife without having to buy a condo too.

Most of the time they are cheaper than a condo.

I've my doubts that the OP could get the wife in the first place.

...quite the gutter-sniper comment.

Was that even necessary?
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I said, '...if you had THE coin,' not, 'big coin.' But, regardless, yes, you're more apt to make more money at a decent foreign school than you would at a hagwon, and you'd definitely get better vacation time. Might be something to start looking into once you get over here and get the lay of the land.

And, for the record, I said to try and save at least 10 million KW a year, AND WORK FROM THERE. 10 million KW plus 3,500 GBP does not a vacation abode owner make IMHO. Once you have ample savings, and if you've spent a decent amount of time somewhere, in this case the Phillipines, then, sure, pursue that option. In the short term, though, I wouldn't be borrowing from relatives, especially at your age, and I wouldn't be taking on a morgage for a place that I wouldn't be able to visit all too often.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but I hate the thought of people getting in financially over their head when they should be plowing money away for retirement. It's been ingrained in me since birth lol...
tophatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Retirement is my first priority. The retirement kitty is the first kitty that gets fed, every month.

Last edited by tophatcat on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
greyhound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the idea could be to sell the condo for double the price like UK landlords are used to doing here in the UK. That's one way of saving for retirement, investing in property. I wonder whether condos in Thailand are a safer bet. Does Thailand get more tourists and westerners buying property there?
tophatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Yes but the idea could be to sell the condo for double the price like UK landlords are used to doing here in the UK. That's one way of saving for retirement, investing in property. I wonder whether condos in Thailand are a safer bet. Does Thailand get more tourists and westerners buying property there?

Buying a condo in Thailand isn't a smart investment for a foreigner fromtheuk. You can't manage or control what's going on when you aren't in Thailand. If you think your visa situation is an issue, just wait till you try buying property in Thailand and managing it from another country as a foreigner. Dude, get a clue.
greyhound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a clue. I rented my house out for 12 month while working abroad once. I got a letting agent to look after it all for me and so I would do the same in Thailand and the Philippines. Whatever, don't buy one then if you don't want to get 0.0000005% interest in the bank instead. It me who want to.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyhound, definitely lay off the sauce.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
What are you talking about? I didn't say I wanted a Filipino wife. The bank said it. Lots of westerners marry Filipinos anyway and Thais. I also didn't discriminate between Filipinos and Thais. trying to make me look like someone I'm not. FYI: I'd prefer to just buy my own condo by myself.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
T-J

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: