Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any jobs on the Islands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nile19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Any jobs on the Islands? Reply with quote

Just a random/fun question here...
other than Jeju, are there any known English teaching jobs on any of the other Korean islands? Such as Sinan County/ SW islands... or even Ulleungdo?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLP? Jeollanam Do Language Program? EPIK for Jeolla province? Canadian Connections I hear is one of their main recruiters.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Islands-Yes Reply with quote

Actually, yes there are probably some public school jobs on the islands. When I was at the Jeollanam-do Language Program orientation in Gwangju in 2013, one of the board of education staff told us that there were indeed jobs on the islands, like Jindo, Wando, etc, but that the policy of the board of education was not to hand out those jobs to teachers unless they specifically asked for them. The reason for this was that the islands are somewhat remote and not everyone is going to enjoy living on an island!
They gave an example of someone who did enjoy the islands. This was a young guy who knew a bit of Korean. He made friends with the local fishermen and the people who ran the restaurant, and talked to everyone. But he made a great effort to do so. He enjoyed the island. At that orientaton, I also met an American who had taught with GEPIK, and this time he chose Jinan. He taught at an elementary school, on one of the islands and had a room on the school playground. It worked well for him.
His job was cut back the other year. But there will be other similar jobs, because president Park Geun-hye is keen to encourage people to teach in remote rural areas, because she feels that the level of English in the countryside is too low, whereas further investment in urban areas should stop.
So if you want to teach on an island, you've got a chance.
As for me, I need to be able to visit cities at the weekend, otherwise I will feel that I am marooned. Therefore, I wouldn't want to teach on an island. Travelling to the city of Gwangju is much easier from the mainland of Jeollanam-do than from an island. However, Wando has roads that connect it to the mainland.
I have seen jobs posted from Geoje Island too. But that's in Gyeongsamnam-do, and for public school jobs you'd apply through GOE, not the Jeollanamdo Language Program.
I got my teaching job in Jeollanam-do through Canadian Connection. I have to say that they were very, very good to me. I felt I did not have time to complete the complex paperwork involved, but Canadian Connection talked me through it, and helped with everything. So you would do well to work with them. If you have taught in Korea before, they will require you to give your former co-teacher's or boss' current contact details.
If you want an island position, you might like to mention that in your personal essay, and choose rural options in the application form. If you'd rather not teach on an island, then I don't think you will be placed on one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: